Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3075 3076 [3077] 3078 3079 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762857 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that Cirno lost today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #46140 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:24 am »

Vector, I highly recommend Myst-born, by Brandon Sanderson, for a great fantasy trilogy with a strong female main character.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46141 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:03 am »

I have a copy of The Mists of Avalon, but I've never read it.  I got tired of reading about baby-making and witches, when what I really wanted to read about was the exploits of Lancelot and Arthur (or some female equivalent).  Fffff.

I still have no idea how I got through that book at 13. Probably because of the gratuitous amounts of said baby-making scenes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46142 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:50 am »

Edit: Nevermind, I won't get an answer anyway.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:05:31 am by Mindmaker »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46143 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:06 am »

Note the words "fucking bullshit."  That was sarcasm.  On the day when we start randomly rolling up BBBBB, we can talk.  Until then, forget it.
You're a mathemagician, right? You have three coins. You flip them, and you have several possible results. (H is heads, T is tails) I did this lab in math countless times for probability. Every single time, there has been at least one congruent set.

HHH
HHT
HTH
THH
TTH
THT
HTT
TTT

I have a copy of The Mists of Avalon, but I've never read it.  I got tired of reading about baby-making and witches, when what I really wanted to read about was the exploits of Lancelot and Arthur (or some female equivalent).  Fffff.
Morgan Le Fay is the most action-hero-esque in that book, so I see your point. I have some other books. I will return shortly.

EDIT: I'm not saying that I support that the entire cast should be homogeneous, but I am saying that there's nothing wrong with the fact that it is. Diversity is cool. Not everything is diverse, however.

EDIT EDIT: I am raging against the politically correct machine.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:58:27 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46144 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:50 am »

Yeah, except that

a) with 5 coins there are 2^5=32 possibilities, and
b) it's not a bunch of simple coin tosses. More like a 5d20.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46145 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02:07 am »

With 5 coins, there is still a 6.25% chance of homogeneity. There have been more than 16 attempts the world over.. There has to be at least one that was homogeneous. With a 5d20, there is still a .000625% chance that every single roll is the same.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46146 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:10 am »

With 5 coins, there is still a 6.25% chance of homogeneity. There have been more than 16 attempts the world over.. There has to be at least one that was homogeneous.

Somebody misunderstands probability.  16 trials does not guarantee a homogeneous result.  We can expect an average of 1 such result for every 16 trials, but there is no guarantee.  Similar reasoning can lead us to conclusions like "my last flip was heads, so this one must be tails."

As for the diversity thing, there are two reasons to want a diverse cast:  First, an all-white or all-male cast is politically incorrect and can hurt the show (low ratings, public outcry, whatever).  Second, women and minorities (technically, women are a slight majority, so I separate the two :P ) have traditionally been underrepresented in media, especially in leading roles.  The lead is often still Mighty Whitey, and usually still male, but supporting roles are certainly much more diverse these days.  I don't think minorities are overrepresented on average, though far too often there's a token <insert ethnicity here> who's either a walking stereotype or exactly like the rest of the cast in all but appearance (because diversity is skin-deep, apparently).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:17:12 am by Earthquake Damage »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46147 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

That, and a 0.000625 probability is a pretty good reason for non-homogeneity.

However, I find groups that try to shoehorn every possible phenotype just as politically incorrect. They're not authentic, they just come over as "Yeah, lets throw in those guys too so that we don't get any complaints about it".

Edit: and it's 0.00000625 anyway.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:12:15 am by Darvi »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46148 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:24 am »

They're not authentic, they just come over as "Yeah, lets throw in those guys too so that we don't get any complaints about it".

Better than a lawsuit.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46149 on: April 05, 2011, 11:14:48 am »

BACK TO THE HAPPY...

I had a Wild Cherry Pepsi with my breakfast. And by that, I mean with the breakfast I have yet to eat, during which I will probably consume another Pepsi.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46150 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:18 am »

They're not authentic, they just come over as "Yeah, lets throw in those guys too so that we don't get any complaints about it".
Better than a lawsuit.
The concept of a lawsuit over race gender diversity or the lack thereof is beautifully ironic.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46151 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:40 am »

Better than a lawsuit.
The concept of a lawsuit over race gender diversity or the lack thereof is beautifully ironic.

How come?
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46152 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:21 am »

http://skrogue.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/late-alpha-log-5/

Could this be another hoax? Or is it really a Serial Killer Roguelike in developement?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46153 on: April 05, 2011, 11:49:15 am »

I GOT THE JOB.

Pending the results of my skill at peeing into a cup(the phlebotomist said "I did a good job" awkwardface.jpg), I'll be greeting customers and helping load hardware, mulch, and construction supplies into their cars.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46154 on: April 05, 2011, 11:50:54 am »

Congratulations. No more working for tight-fisted religious egomaniacs for you, then.
Pages: 1 ... 3075 3076 [3077] 3078 3079 ... 13325