Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3066 3067 [3068] 3069 3070 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15759146 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that Cirno lost today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #46005 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

Synctube with friends always makes me stop hurting. Though now I wish I had Mount and Blade: Warband. Buh. I miss it!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46006 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:42 pm »

Kiki's feeling better :D
Yayyyyy :D

Good to know that shes okay :)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46007 on: April 04, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »

Yes, of course, because I have a ton of experience in throwing werewolves down pits.
bow before lack of context!!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46008 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

My english teacher gave me a book this afternoon :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46009 on: April 04, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »

"...the sequence is repeated to evoke the grand progenitor of all American music, the call and response of a Negro spiritual, hearkening back to our nation's great unhealing wound, slavery itself."

Slavery in and of itself, the act of slavery, rather than discussion of, say, wage slaves or other such events also called "slavery" with a qualifier.

The "itself" is in fact necessary to ensure comprehension within the desired context.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46010 on: April 04, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »

Theres a touhou anime project?

I needed that..
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46012 on: April 04, 2011, 04:34:45 pm »

Its a Nuclear Fusion Arrangement.

Awesome is implied.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46013 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »

Redundant sentence is redundant.

And RF is a ninja.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46014 on: April 04, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »

"...the sequence is repeated to evoke the grand progenitor of all American music, the call and response of a Negro spiritual, hearkening back to our nation's great unhealing wound, slavery itself."

Slavery in and of itself, the act of slavery, rather than discussion of, say, wage slaves or other such events also called "slavery" with a qualifier.

The "itself" is in fact necessary to ensure comprehension within the desired context.
Saying 'itself' doesn't ensure comprehension at all. You could still be implying "(wage) slavery itself", depending on the context. My point is that it doesn't add anything except more words. If they were trying to show the common people the deeper meaning behind 'Friday', they should use language like it is commonly used. When you're talking about America's past and black people, the word slavery has a pretty specific meaning in practical usage.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46015 on: April 04, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »

And RF is a ninja.
Redundant sentence is redundant.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #46016 on: April 04, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »

Saying 'itself' doesn't ensure comprehension at all. You could still be implying "(wage) slavery itself", depending on the context. My point is that it doesn't add anything except more words. If they were trying to show the common people the deeper meaning behind 'Friday', they should use language like it is commonly used. When you're talking about America's past and black people, the word slavery has a pretty specific meaning in practical usage.
The last word of a sentence is an important one, it gets a lot of focus. I think it just sounds better followed by the itself regardless of any considerations about meaning. If I were to drop the itself I'd probably word it like this:

". . .hearkening back to slavery, our nation's great unhealing wound."

Otherwise the clauses seem kind of unbalanced.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46017 on: April 04, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »

"War on Terror Stuff" thread.  Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.  Damn that was funny, and I don't even know what happened.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46018 on: April 04, 2011, 05:14:13 pm »

"War on Terror Stuff" thread.  Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.  Damn that was funny, and I don't even know what happened.
Heh.

I have no idea too.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46019 on: April 04, 2011, 05:14:45 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like trolls...
Pages: 1 ... 3066 3067 [3068] 3069 3070 ... 13325