Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2781 2782 [2783] 2784 2785 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778338 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that made you the strongest today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #41730 on: March 06, 2011, 10:44:18 pm »

No really, for something that came out of Poland thats normal.

... Huh.  Well, honestly, I've seen similar things coming out of France (YouTube "Le Val d'Amour Notre-Dame de Paris," if you want an example).  I think I just felt better, because I was thinking "Oh, the French!  Hah.  This is such a French thing to do."

But with the French and other versions to compare with, I was really shocked in the lack of vocal differentiation of the Polish singers.

Actually, one of the reasons why I like this musical so much is that with the different versions, you get an idea of what different cultures consider beautiful or hideous.  The Korean version with Quasimodo's curly hair... the Polish version with the Eastern priest costume, rather than the Catholic one.  Whether singing or dancing skills were considered important for Esmeralda... and so on, and so forth.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41731 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:02 pm »

The Original French, with Frollo's deliciously enormous eyebrows and cubic hair.

I love the guy playing Quasimodo's voice, there... rough and gravely, and yet able to hit tones dead on. Frollo had some great emotionality too, and the trio at the end was quite ass-kicking. The music itself reminds me a bit of Queen... pity the volume was maxed out while being recorded. That would be a great one to see performed live.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41732 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:21 pm »

Brings up a good point too, Accordians make anything polish :P

ooh, Fat Tuesday is this week, i need to get some  paczkis :D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41733 on: March 06, 2011, 11:05:18 pm »

I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41734 on: March 06, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »

Japanese candies.
They are delicious candies.

I'm eating these far faster than any sane human should.
SEAL
LOVES TO SUNTAN
KOKEKOKKO

Quoted for truth, in high school Japanese candy was like crack for us. Long live Japanese class!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41735 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:16 pm »

The Original French, with Frollo's deliciously enormous eyebrows and cubic hair.

I love the guy playing Quasimodo's voice, there... rough and gravely, and yet able to hit tones dead on. Frollo had some great emotionality too, and the trio at the end was quite ass-kicking. The music itself reminds me a bit of Queen... pity the volume was maxed out while being recorded. That would be a great one to see performed live.

Haha, glad to see you enjoyed it.  I actually have a cast recording of it that doesn't have the whole "maxing out the microphones" problem, which is... really, really nice.

That's the particular singer's style, by the way, so if you like it then you can find loads of stuff by Garou on YouTube.  He's pretty darned famous!  Unfortunately, though, I think his voice may be starting to go.  The strange thing is that despite Daniel Lavoie turning 60+, he's just become a stronger and stronger performer... the stuff he did in his youth was kind of lame, but if you look at his more recent work, well.  Phew.  And, other than that, he seems like a really nice guy [/fangirlsquee]

And Julie Zenatti (not featured in that particular video, but was in the musical's first run as a 16-year-old) has become astoundingly powerful.  Really, really impressive.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41736 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:53 pm »

I now tell the tale of how Lur has been terrorizing my fortress.

Playing DF, Since this is the first big bugfix version, this is the version I play...
So I plumbing the depths of the earth in search of metal.

The Forgotten Beast Lur has come!  A gigantic eyeless mockingbird.  It has a pair of spindly antennae and it squirms and fidgets.  Its rust feathers are downy.  Beware its deadly spittle!

That's alright, I've just about completed walling off that part of th-

Mebzuth Dakostzeg, Stoneworker has died after colliding with an obstacle.

Holy shit! That was literally 10 seconds and he was on the other side of the map! Time wall off the tunnel down!

Ber Solonisden, Miner has been shot and killed.

My legendary miner! You are so going to get it Lur!
And now my legendary mason has walled himself in... ok deconstruct that shit then get back inside and do it right this time.

Tholtig Rigóththibam, Fishery Worker has been struck down.

RITH MENGBAVAST GET YOUR ASS INSIDE NOW!

He did escape, and now Lur is destroying my catacombs... I'm going to have construct a lot of memorials in my statue hall.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41737 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:34 pm »

Well Vector I thank you for giving us something new to listen to, I been stuck listening to oldbags that are dead for years :D

LOL LUR

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #41738 on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »

Well, just played some more Tropico and beat a regular level. Cut it real close as well. Finished halfway through my last year.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41739 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »

In a few years I shall have my revenge once I've traded for the kit my axedwarves need...

On the subject of the notre dame vids... I'm watching/listening to them now... I have to say the Moscow one has acoustics issues, I can hear the cancellation beats... Might just be a crummy mic though.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #41740 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:41 pm »

Dude. Dude... This... Isn't a farm... Stop. Farming stop.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41741 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:26 pm »

On the subject of the notre dame vids... I'm watching/listening to them now... I have to say the Moscow one has acoustics issues, I can hear the cancellation beats... Might just be a crummy mic though.

Yeah, it was filmed by someone using a snuck-in video camera, so it's no surprise to me that it has some issues of one sort or another.  Some of them were ripped, some were filmed live, and unfortunately it really shows ;_;

Well Vector I thank you for giving us something new to listen to, I been stuck listening to oldbags that are dead for years :D

If I could, I would drag all of you--ALL of you--to my house to watch Notre Dame, and you would love it, and it would all be wonderful.

Alas, I am stuck here dining on samosas and chana masala, as I watch Black Swan with my roommates.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41742 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:24 am »

(...) as I watch Black Swan with my roommates.

Black Swan is awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41743 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:33 am »

That's the particular singer's style, by the way, so if you like it then you can find loads of stuff by Garou on YouTube.  He's pretty darned famous!  Unfortunately, though, I think his voice may be starting to go.  The strange thing is that despite Daniel Lavoie turning 60+, he's just become a stronger and stronger performer... the stuff he did in his youth was kind of lame, but if you look at his more recent work, well.  Phew.  And, other than that, he seems like a really nice guy [/fangirlsquee]

Dat voice. According to the translation, his lyrics are pretty good too. Also, Lavoie was Frollo? I found a reunion concert with better sound quality (the stage-camaraderie between them is rather cute too), and if so he's still got it. If you take care of yourself, you can keep your mad skills... it's good to see!

I presently have the happiest damned cat in my lap. He might be enjoying the music too, as he is simultaneously trying to tilt his ears toward and groom my headphones.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:17:41 am by Solifuge »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41744 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:28 am »

I'm pretty sure there are ways to watch a video together with internet peoples, with text and mic talk. I know Yahoo messenger does a "watch this with me" feature for youtube videos, though it does have issues.

I wouldn't say it's about what different cultures find beautiful so much as interesting, I don't think either Frollo or Quasimodo are intended to be beautiful, also I think it's probably more of a statement of individual taste rather than cultural taste... Also the spanish version does have awesome eyebrows on Frollo (again not for beauty but probably more just to give him a more accentuated and dramatic look... and possibly just plain cheesy evil looking)

The English Production From Vegas, which is possibly one of the worst ideas ever.
Ok, that one, I was watching it and thinking "yeknow this isn't so bad" then Phoebus comes along and I just had to shut it off.

As for the polish version... The first one gets kudos for taking a different art direction, and the second one... it does stink of neo-pretentious-artsy.
Pages: 1 ... 2781 2782 [2783] 2784 2785 ... 13325