Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2682 2683 [2684] 2685 2686 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15773783 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Pick flowers or die~♥
« Reply #40245 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:17 pm »

I don't think it's really important.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40246 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »

Now, let's pretend that you have a lot of trouble with socializing, and you see the above behaviors.  You may not think "self-absorbed prick," because you can't figure out his motivations.  But there is a motivation that makes sense to you, because that is your motivation--the motivation called "he has no idea what he's doing or why it's inappropriate, just like me, and just like me, everyone makes fun of him."

So, some autistic people don't like portrayals of autism written by autistic people, but some have "adopted" a relatively friendly caricature of an autistic person as a good mascot.  The big key to autism being a lack of ability to understand others' motivations...  Hence arguing about the portrayal and motivations of ostensibly autistic characters...  I'm not entire sure where the pivot point is or who's "wrong", but the irony is thick enough to cut with a knife.

Exactly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40247 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:13 pm »

Moving on, I had a fairly good day today, so I'm happy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40248 on: February 22, 2011, 08:25:06 pm »

This article made me happy today.

Also, it's cooking-time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40249 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »

FOOD!!!
i had hummus and naan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40250 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »

Thats a pretty neat avatar pic, Vector.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40251 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »

Thats a pretty neat avatar pic, Vector.

Thank you, thank you!

Half an hour's work has a quart and a half of borscht simmering on the stove and half a squash with brown sugar, salt, and olive oil heating in the oven.

I'm also happy because my mother made me granola, so I bought both milk and bananas to eat with it in the mornings.  This means that tomorrow morning I'll probably be able to eat crepes, because my bananas aren't quite ripe.  This, in turn, means that I will finally be able to eat some of the jam I canned last summer...

Yup, it's a good week to be Vector.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40252 on: February 22, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »

Suddenly, box of groceries in my back garden. O_o
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40253 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:26 pm »

Suddenly, box of groceries in my back garden. O_o
someone cares about you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40254 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »

I don't get why you'd adopt him as a portrayal of autism. He only misunderstands social norms when the writers want to make a joke. Seems to make perfectly good eye contact to me. Speaks as if he obviously wishes to be heard. He's just a self-obsessed prick. A narcissist.

My brother makes perfectly good eye contact, too.  He's also aware of social norms after someone points out and explains them to him.  He's just incapable of developing an independent and intuitive understanding of them, as most people do.  He can also come across as a self-obsessed prick to people, but that's because they don't understand the social cues that he isn't good at picking up on.  He doesn't understand when to leave a subject in conversation.  You have to state clearly to him "We're moving to a different subject now."  People who don't figure out or have the natural assertion to do this get extremely frustrated with him as he rattles on about a single idea endlessly.  He's very empathetic, but not in an adaptive fashion.  His immediate awareness of people is nearly non-existent, so he doesn't understand when he's crossed boundaries or should be reacting to, say, another person's obvious distress.

In other words, Sheldon.  The difference is he's not actually as self-absorbed as he may seem, and really cares and tries really hard to connect with people.  But thanks to Big Bang Theory, less people are likely to actually realize this, since they have a cultural reference to match his behavior with.  As if he needed that.

But I'll drop the subject now.  Happy thread!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40255 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEw5avWSEc

Best Purposeful Misinterpretation Ever.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40256 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »

This. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nyhA48xP8

A German rap about a children's show. It inspired me to change my avatar.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40257 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:23 am »

Regarding Autism:
I dont know any autists myself, so the only information I had on this subject, until some time ago, was a documentary about the subject.
It basically portrayed autists as people with a special talent, yet totally unfunctional in any other regard and unable to take care of themselves.

For me the show contained good publicity, if anything.
So I began reading reading up on the subject myself.
What was shown to me as abnormal, simply become something different.
Fascinating, actually. I wish I knew autists myself.

A friend of me simply thought Sheldon was being an ass. After discussing it with him, I found out that he had a similar image like presented in said documentary.
So there are at least two people now, which BBT helped to understand.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40258 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:52 am »

Beat Iji. Extreme Difficulty. Got Innocent rating thingy. Fuck yeah.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40259 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:12 am »

Beat Iji. Extreme Difficulty. Got Innocent rating thingy. Fuck yeah.
Just wait until Ultimortal. Or reallyjoel's dad difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 2682 2683 [2684] 2685 2686 ... 13325