Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2680 2681 [2682] 2683 2684 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776564 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Pick flowers or die~♥
« Reply #40215 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »

They have the box which tells you when to laugh or not.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40216 on: February 22, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »

I just don't like 'em.  They're almost worse than over used reaction faces in anime, almost.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40217 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

Also, it seems like a good part of the jokes are a character spewing out some science-y jargon and then everyone laughs.  Even my family laughs.  I'm not sure how that's even a joke.

I'll admit that there was one part that I found particularly memorable, in the episode where Leonard is going to give a talk and needs a joke.  The funny part about the "assume a spherical chicken" joke is not the joke itself, but that these particular nerds still consider a science joke so old and hackneyed entertaining.

The bits where the nerd-group fails to adhere to even nerd standards of cool make me chortle a little.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40218 on: February 22, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »

So, there's this protest thing going on in Wisconsin, against their governor, whose name is Walker.  Que best protest sign EVAR.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40219 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »

My wife is obsessed with Big Bang Theory lately.  I kind of resent it.  It has its moments, and I enjoy a lot of the cameos they get... but it's still just a sitcom.  It's the same sitcom humor formulas with some different ingredients.  It's cheap as all hell, and mostly relies on making fun of stereotypes that really really need to die.  Nerds put up with tons of crap, and this show feels like it's semi-targeted at them while simultaneously making fun of them.  What the hell?

As humorous as Sheldon can be, I also really resent his character.  I have an aspie brother who has many things in common with that character, and a lot of times I just have to cringe at the ways they make fun of him.  Understanding social interaction is a very real and often very painful struggle for people like him.  They portray Sheldon unintentionally alienating and sabotaging himself for laughs and then handwave it by having him appear as cold and unsympathetic as possible.  I think it's really irresponsible, when autistics are already very very misunderstood and under-appreciated by society, and often don't possess the emotional defense of Sheldon's supreme egotistic nonchalance.

I can watch it with my wife and get a couple chuckles out of most episodes, but when I step back and think about it, it's really easy for me to get worked up over it  >:(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40220 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »

So, there's this protest thing going on in Wisconsin, against their governor, whose name is Walker.  Que best protest sign EVAR.
Isn't that the protest that Vactor is working at?

Awesome walker is awesome.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40221 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »

Awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40222 on: February 22, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »

As humorous as Sheldon can be, I also really resent his character.  I have an aspie brother who has many things in common with that character, and a lot of times I just have to cringe at the ways they make fun of him.  Understanding social interaction is a very real and often very painful struggle for people like him.  They portray Sheldon unintentionally alienating and sabotaging himself for laughs and then handwave it by having him appear as cold and unsympathetic as possible.  I think it's really irresponsible, when autistics are already very very misunderstood and under-appreciated by society, and often don't possess the emotional defense of Sheldon's supreme egotistic nonchalance.

On the other hand, if you check out some of the autistic forums out there they've happily claimed Sheldon as their own, in a positive portrayal of autism.  Similar for L from Death Note, even though he's far more bizarre than most of the spectrum-folks I've met.  Heck, I've even seen people wishing they were aspies so that they could be more like L.

Of course, many of the former group was self-diagnosed, but all the same it's an interesting contrast.

(... I don't find his abrasiveness very humorous either, though, and after enough years of saying "Dude, you're just like L and Sheldon!  Now I get you!" it's kind of wearing.  Especially because I'm not much like either character, besides being occasionally incomprehensible and regularly sleep-deprived)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #40223 on: February 22, 2011, 07:02:24 pm »

On the other hand, if you check out some of the autistic forums out there they've happily claimed Sheldon as their own, in a positive portrayal of autism.  Similar for L from Death Note, even though he's far more bizarre than most of the spectrum-folks I've met.  Heck, I've even seen people wishing they were aspies so that they could be more like L.

This is really surprising to me, considering the entire sum of his character is "A scientific genius with the emotional depth of a paper plate.  Everybody hates him but he's too self-absorbed and dense to realize it, so it's ok."  I can't understand what's positive about this.  And with the level of cluelessness out there regarding autism (I've had to educate a lot of people), I expect such a high profile media portrayal to have a large effect on common preconceptions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40224 on: February 22, 2011, 07:03:41 pm »

Vector you don't sound like Sheldon to me, you remind me of Dr. Hensley or Cortana

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40225 on: February 22, 2011, 07:05:55 pm »

I used to keep my hair long, because with short hair I looked like Shelden. But now I do not, so that's nice.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40226 on: February 22, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »

I don't even know show this Sheldon character is from.  I get the feeling I should.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40227 on: February 22, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »

You should be glad you dont.

Anyway, I woke up at 9:56 this morning, and decided that, as my alarm is going off at ten, I should get an extra nap in. During those four minutes, I had the most restful and deep sleep I've had this whole week.
How does this happen?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40228 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:14 pm »

Apparently there's this nerd-themed sitcom called The Big Bang Theory. Apparently it has a character named Sheldon in it, who exhibits autism-ish traits that are then mocked by the other characters. Apparently that's somehow supposed to be funny.

Apparently I'm suddenly very glad I don't watch television anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40229 on: February 22, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »

You watch commercial television?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 2680 2681 [2682] 2683 2684 ... 13325