Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2577 2578 [2579] 2580 2581 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15837685 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. My name is Hong Meiling, not china
« Reply #38670 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:40 am »

just for that comment, we're leaving your asses when the next hurricane comes towards you, ENJOY.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. My name is Hong Meiling, not china
« Reply #38672 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:01 am »

My brain just finished tearing itself apart.  I suddenly became intimately aware of the fact that all this stuff I say about bluffing my way through essays and being horrible at math is all bullshit and just a way of pretending I'm not as smart as I am so I don't have to work as hard.  I could totally blow through all these classes with ease if I just applied myself, and now that I've finally come to terms with the thing I always knew but hid from I can actually start applying myself.  I started by applying myself in math class, and sure enough everything came naturally.

I was never horrible at math, I just convinced myself I was because math is hard, time-consuming work and I would rather be mediocre than work hard.

Now I know that being good is worth working hard.

and now.

AND MOTHERFUCKING NOW.

honk. :o )

Now I'm wondering how far this extends.  Am I secretly a wellspring of charisma?  Can I play the Scout really well?  Will I be able to live my dream of being a natural talent at the glockenspiel?

One step at a time, Cfoofoo.  One step at a time.
I'm very much the same. Locked up my potential early in elementary school and so on from there so i wouldn't have to do as much work. I loosened up by college so I can dedicate my mind to what I want to do more; and I learned that as long as I'm avoiding something, I'll have a ludicrous amount of talent available for a task that'll keep me busy for a good amount of time. Which explains why I have at least a nearly-full sketchpad of work done. Boredom in class does wonders for the imagination.

In any other case, thanks to a few social discoveries that took longer to learn from my siblings than I expected, I learned I'm surprisingly an awesome person to hang out with; I'm just very selective about the kinds of people I hang around, plus, I think I tend to be unintentionally intimidating to be around. I mean, I stopped by the local tavern again recently (an interesting band was playing), and the only people I even remotely found interesting to talk to were old co-workers from my past jobs. Not really anybody else. Then again, it could still be where I live, and that all the more interesting people just don't go out anymore. Kinda makes sense tossing in the economy at least; plus, my recent trip to the tavern also reminded me that those places are stuck in time. I'm not shocked the social scene hasn't changed over the years.

Spoiler: I laughed out loud. (click to show/hide)
I live in the bright orange zone.
Hey, so do I (well, in the lighter orange zone more like). Sorry everyone. At least so you feel a little better, it has been surprisingly windy down here. The beach turned into a sandstorm.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38673 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:53 am »

oh ok, you can hide behind your history it will be alright >:D

besides i like the cold, can't have snow if its 60 degrees.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38675 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:55 am »

Another snow day :D
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38676 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:38 am »

There hasn't been a really bad hurricane in a while for Florida.
That just means you are overdue.  :P
Hey, we need some time to heal over. One time in the past decade, we were slammed by a set of hurricane triplets within 3 weeks of each other. Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. That was fun.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38677 on: February 08, 2011, 11:49:13 am »

So here's the continuation from the sad thread:

The test results had shown, that I'm putting high emphasis on "independent thinking", have "pleasure doing research" and have highly developed linguistic abilities, as well as a lot of intellectual interests.
I've been advised by the psychologist, against concentrating on a single area of expertise, but to aquire more spread out knowledge.
He said that being an anthropologist would be the ideal career for me, since it unifies many of my interests and can make most use of my lust for knowledge.
The great thing about this direction is, its manifoldness. It combines elements of biology, history, archeology, linguistics, political science, international relations and many more.
Not to mention a great deal of it is psychology, which I'm quite fond of.
Spending time in foreign countries and working on international projects seems to be part of the job you'll be occupying, which is a huge plus as well.
The icing on the cake seems to be that there aren't very much people applying to this field of study, which results in a good career outlook.

I finally seem to have a purpose and I'm happy about it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:58:38 am by Mindmaker »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38678 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:08 am »

Whoa Google has a cool interactive logo today, submarine ahoy!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38679 on: February 08, 2011, 12:03:08 pm »

Well, that chemistry olympiad paper was staggeringly hard.  Mostly because it's aimed for the year above and we're basically expected to get around 30% on it >.>

If anyone happens to be amazingly good at NMR shifts and logically working through it some help would be appreciated :x

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38680 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »

um, i don't remember NMR, can you break that acronym?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38681 on: February 08, 2011, 12:09:10 pm »

Oops, should have been NMRI (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging).

I got quite a bit of that question through logic and metagaming, but sortof ran out of knowledge towards the end.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38682 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »

alright so whats the problem?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38683 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:15:19 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38684 on: February 08, 2011, 01:01:06 pm »

NMRI? Heh, my father used to do a lot of design work on those systems, mostly on the frontend... mind you that doesn't necessarily mean he's good at using/interpreting them... he mostly works on marketing imaging systems to china right now, it's pretty interesting, they have a seriously crap capitalistic medical system.

EDIT: Actually IIRC: Nuclear medicine is/was his speciality.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:16:38 pm by Pnx »
Pages: 1 ... 2577 2578 [2579] 2580 2581 ... 13326