Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15770801 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #36420 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:09 pm »

What would the thread be called, though?  "Questions, puzzles and riddles" or something?
The Physics Thread?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36421 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »

Already started it. Here.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36422 on: January 21, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »

Il Palazzo:

... What? No. Listen.

The ice cube, with the stone attached, remains floating. The stone only sinks when it becomes detached from the ice cube. None of this implies that the stone is less dense than water. If it were, it wouldn't sink at all!

The ice cube starts out floating, with the stone attached. Eventually, at some point, the stone becomes detached, yet there is still a finite volume of ice there.
Now now, where do you get the thing about there being some ice left, when the question explictly states that the stone gets released after ALL of it melts?

Rereading the question, it is worded rather poorly. The question inadvertently implies that the stone has a density infinitesimally greater than that of water, which is... pretty damn strange.

What if that is literally true, though? Then: N answer is correct at all. While the ice melts, A and D make sense, since the object is still buoyant, therefore ice melting off it won't affect the water level, for reasons I've already mentioned. The object still remains buoyant for the entirety of the ice's lifetime, since the stone apparently only sinks once all the ice is melted. Therefore, yeah, A and D are true so far, with the water level staying the same. However, after that point, with the stone sinking and the ice totally melted, no further change in the water level can even occur, since all that you have left is a rock that has already become fully submerged. In other words, if the question is interpreted like that, there is no right answer; the water level would remain the same as the object sheds water, and by the time the object has shed all its ice as water and the rock sinks down, the rock has already just become fully submerged by the process, so no further change in water level is possible.

In other words, the question doesn't make sense if you interpret it that way, but that really is what the question is asking if you interpret it literally. None of the answers are valid unless there's some ice left when the stone is released.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:36:14 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36423 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:21 pm »

Crap, I just noticed that I can't make ice in a glass and then get it out again.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36424 on: January 21, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

I'm going to flop this train back over to the other side of the rails with my first RPG cred.  What's this newfangled NES thing?

Your physics are boggling my mind.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36425 on: January 21, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36426 on: January 21, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »

Spoiler: Good dog, best friend (click to show/hide)
I have a dog companion now!  :]  He is the best bud in the wasteland.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:13:03 pm by ToonyMan »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36427 on: January 21, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »

Bot-ty looking.

But yeah, My cousin has Fallout: New Vegas, but he spends all of his time playing Mass Effect II.

We started playing Co-op DOW II, but he spends all his time playing Mass Effect II.

I love that game, but I'm beginning to hate that game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36428 on: January 21, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »

http://beyondblackmesa.com/
The short fan-film based in the Half Life universe "Beyond Black Mesa" was released! :D
Go watch it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36429 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

http://beyondblackmesa.com/
The short fan-film based in the Half Life universe "Beyond Black Mesa" was released! :D
Go watch it.

You mean the games aren't films? They are so linear I hardly noticed!
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #36430 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

Hey, linearity is good in a generation where every game has to have some sort of sandbox and a morals system.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36431 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:02 pm »

Hey, linearity is good in a generation where every game has to have guns and some sort of sandbox and a morals system.
Fix'd.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36432 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »

Hey, linearity is good in a generation where every game has to have guns and some sort of sandbox and a morals system.
Fix'd.

What Fallout 3? Thats a Linear game with sidequests...
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36433 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »

This forum seems to have somehow gotten the false impression that linearity is a bad thing.  In fact, from how poorly most developers execute non-linearity, I'd say a tightly-reined storyline is the way to go.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36434 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:44 pm »

Cave Story and Iji are both quite linear.  I would say that I like linear games, yes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 13325