Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15837632 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #34650 on: January 10, 2011, 12:23:59 am »

I have got a new, DWARVEN sig.

Do you like it? Or is it an offensive piece of crap?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34651 on: January 10, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

I just realized the obvious thing:

"If you're nice to people, you can probably waste less time because you don't have to spend time arguing, and when you need a friend you don't have to either spend time being depressed about the lack of one or working forever at getting one, only to find that once you've finally made friends you don't need or want one anymore."

To me it looks more like:
"If you're nice to people, you'll probably be horribly exploited and made fun of by those wretched human beings, who form the majority, but will be liked by the more interesting ones, which are fun to hang out with."

But hey, there is more than one truth.
If yours really works, I'm happy for you.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34652 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:16 am »

Protip: When writing a paper for science class, each time you throw in a properly used scientific term is bonus points.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34653 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:49 am »

Why should you earn bonus points just for using terms correctly? Isn't that sort of a given? That's like getting bonus points for putting punctuation in the right place when writing something for English.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34654 on: January 10, 2011, 12:58:18 am »

I don't know.
Science teacher fed up with people misusing/not using terms, mayhaps?
All I know is I got a 120% on a short writing assignment because I used genotype and phenotype correctly more than once.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34655 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:07 am »

Those are the lowest standards I have ever known for a science class. That's not to say you did poorly, or you yourself don't know what your on about, but bonus points for correctly using terms? Realy?

My old science teacher would kick the ass of anybody that got terms mixed up.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34656 on: January 10, 2011, 01:04:00 am »

"If you're nice to people, you can probably waste less time because you don't have to spend time arguing, and when you need a friend you don't have to either spend time being depressed about the lack of one or working forever at getting one, only to find that once you've finally made friends you don't need or want one anymore."
"If you're nice to people, you'll probably be horribly exploited and made fun of by those wretched human beings, who form the majority, but will be liked by the more interesting ones, which are fun to hang out with."
I've always gone with "Be nice to people whether they're being idiots/annoying or not." It's worked fairly well for me so far. I don't extend this policy to people taking advantage of it, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34657 on: January 10, 2011, 01:12:08 am »

Being nice != being doormat.
A push over says 'Yes'.
A nice person says 'Sorry, no thank you'.
And a jerk says 'F**k off'.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34658 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:04 am »

I've always gone with "Be nice to people whether they're being idiots/annoying or not." It's worked fairly well for me so far. I don't extend this policy to people taking advantage of it, though.
I've gone with the same policy, but it still has given me trouble.
And you misunderstood me. I wasn't nice to people who were taking advantage of it.
To some people "minding you own business", somehow means the same as "looking for trouble".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34659 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:02 am »

I was once like Vector back while I was in school, during college, and some of my past jobs, I learned from some mistakes and tried Barbarossa's method; eventually, I just decided that with situations overall not improving, and having been betrayed a fair amount of times, Mindmaker's became my new truth.

At least, my niceness is moderated, and mostly out of common courtesy/decency, but no further than that. Until my trust is earned, deal with my real self (which I realized over the years, was not the nicest of people; but good natured when best to be). Exceptions to having to earn my trust are usually people I don't run into often (or people I don't sense any force-door-matting vibes off of), most elderly people, and kids.

How I see it, being a good person yields good things; being nice, however, leaves them open to getting stepped on. Good does good, even when it's not always nice. Good can discipline; Nice cannot. Good = Shows Respect, becomes respectful, Nice = Shows passage, becomes passage. Consider it like the mentality of the parent of a spoiled child. A good parent would discipline the child, and cut them off until the child begins to behave itself; A nice one will continue to spoil the child until they win the child's respect again. Though similar, they differ at times.

Best not to confuse good with nice. So to put it, it can help out anyone stuck in the "Nice Guy"/"Just Friend" stage of life. Heck, don't even try to do good, just be yourself. For some reason the Star Trek: First Contact quote comes to mind:

Quote from: IMDb Quotes: Star Trek: First Contact
Cmdr. William Riker: Someone once said "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
Dr. Zefram Cochrane: That's rhetorical nonsense. Who said that?
Cmdr. William Riker: You did, ten years from now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:35:48 am by Itnetlolor »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34660 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:20 am »

Got bored, drew more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34661 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:01 am »

Got bored, drew more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Needs a Chryssalid.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34662 on: January 10, 2011, 03:37:39 am »

I'm ill, but on the bright side, I killed 2 guys with one sniper shot in Silent Storm. Yay for being moody! I'm such a dwarf...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34663 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:38 am »

I managed to get through a bus trip without feeling like I was gonna throw up. 'S a pretty good sign.
*Hugs*

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34664 on: January 10, 2011, 03:42:30 am »

I managed to get through a bus trip without feeling like I was gonna throw up. 'S a pretty good sign.
Over here we have different reasons to throw up in buses. Will I ever stop mocking my homeland? Hahahah- no...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 13326