Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15837695 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #34455 on: January 09, 2011, 03:57:14 am »

I for one am curious for an explanation.  I can understand not liking Dwarf Fortress, but if I didn't, I would at least give it a try after hanging around the developer's forum for a year.

Ditto for Liberal Crime Squad, which I only know about thanks to this forum.  It's awesome, you get to change the world by sending out mathematicians with swords.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34456 on: January 09, 2011, 03:57:52 am »

IT IS ABSOLUTELY, INEFFABLY UNFATHOMABLE.

Actually, I just want to know why you've decided to never even try it. Seems like an oddly resolute standpoint for something as trivial as playing a game, especially when your ensconced in the community dedicated to said game.

Also, what Aqizzar said >_>

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34457 on: January 09, 2011, 03:59:17 am »

It kind of is.

Never played DF, never will play DF.

Every time you say that, I feel strange. You're a lovely person, but I don't know how you could dislike a game, when you're on Forums devoted to it.

Edit: Besides, you're drawn to us as a community because we've got something in common. And we were all drawn to DF because of the same, I guess. So what makes you believe you wouldn't like it?

Edit: Harshness removed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:05:00 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34458 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:15 am »

Ein:  It took me awhile to find it, and uh... urg.  Slightly disturbing.

As for the picture with the limbs intact... click fullview.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34459 on: January 09, 2011, 04:11:45 am »

Ditto for Liberal Crime Squad, which I only know about thanks to this forum.  It's awesome, you get to change the world by sending out mathematicians with swords.

I don't much play DF anymore either, though I really do need to try Liberal Crime Squad one of these days. What I know of it makes it seem perfectly campy, tongue-in-cheek, and generally awesome.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34460 on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:04 am »

I don't much play DF anymore either, though I really do need to try Liberal Crime Squad one of these days. What I know of it makes it seem perfectly campy, tongue-in-cheek, and generally awesome.
WHEN YOU FIND THE CHILD LABORS THEY KILL WITH CHAINS.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34461 on: January 09, 2011, 04:17:15 am »

Oh, it's not that I've decided I dislike it or something.  It's one of those remnant attachments to the relationship I used to have.  I hardly ever think of the dude in question anymore, but this particular game is inextricably linked with him because he talked, and talked, and talked about it, made stuff for it, made me wait while he was playing it, used it for metaphors and descriptions of his daily life and humor, would always put in little asides when we were talking about other things, and so on.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun.  I'm saying that I never really had any interest in it, and any interest I had was exhausted by having to pretend I wanted to hear all about it all the time for two years.

It's sort of like... the spark of interest I might have had has been dulled by over-exposure without actual engagement.  It's going to be a while before I can think of it as anything fun and exciting, rather than a system that menaces with spikes of magma, cat-killing, carp, rings of weird UI and blah blah because all Toaden craftmanship is of the highest quality and we can get weird titles like "the Disemboweled Embers."

Getting told I have a personality like some particular dwarf in the dude's fortress (philosophical, easily made nervous, moody, needs alcohol to get through the day [yeah right]) or that anything that had any quality "menaced with spikes of ________" has just turned it into some particularly disturbing ritual in my mind.  There are patterns, there are jokes, there's all kinds of pointless knowledge I have about this game and there's enough of it that I don't feel particularly prompted to go exploring.

I do occasionally think I'd like to try out LCS, though, so maybe I'll do that in a while.  The only real reason why I haven't tried it is because I keep forgetting to, and also time constraints.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34462 on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:54 am »

oh dear.

I think we might just have the first DF-widow here :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34463 on: January 09, 2011, 04:22:32 am »

Gosh. I'm surprised you hang around here at all.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34464 on: January 09, 2011, 04:24:47 am »

~snip~
Yes, the dark side of the fortress. It tends to send people into what is commonly refered to as a mood.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34465 on: January 09, 2011, 04:29:25 am »

Yeah, though on the other hand you hardly hear about DF outside of references down here either.  We don't talk about suddenly hitting a patch of HFS in our lives or clowns or whatever, and most of the "solve it with magma" things are basically quick replies I can gloss over as necessary.  Forum games are a bit stickier due to all the elf jokes in fantasy situations, but there's plenty of games people run that don't ever move in that direction... so I like it there, too.

I think it also helps that I think of this as "that place with the good mafia games," rather than "that place dedicated to that game about dwarves."  That was my introduction, and that's basically how I still perceive it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34466 on: January 09, 2011, 04:31:54 am »

Ein:  It took me awhile to find it, and uh... urg.  Slightly disturbing.

As for the picture with the limbs intact... click fullview.

I'm not sure what's worse: that you went looking or that you say it's only slightly disturbing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34467 on: January 09, 2011, 04:38:19 am »

Yeah, though on the other hand you hardly hear about DF outside of references down here either.  We don't talk about suddenly hitting a patch of HFS in our lives or clowns or whatever, and most of the "solve it with magma" things are basically quick replies I can gloss over as necessary.

I was going to say that part of your ability to get along here is probably because most of the people down in these sections don't play DF much anymore.  You do seem to get along best with the people who make fewest-to-no references to it.

I choose not to because most of them got old the moment they were invented.  Except the mermaid bones, that always puts a smile on my face.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34468 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:53 am »

Heh.

But anyway, I don't really use DF references for the same reason. They're funny, but then they're not. Sure, the Urist naming meme is funny, and will always be funny. But the point where people started using it as their username crossed the line for me. Kill it with Magma is a throw back to Boatmurdered, as it's pretty much the main theme behind 'Operation: Fuck the World", which I still find hilarious.
Even though I went back and read it, and it wasn't as side-splitting as I remember.

In any case, so you're saying that Aspen played lots of DF. Was he on these forums, then? Because he could be. And that would make things Wiiierd.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34469 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:37 am »

Yes, Rosewood is on these forums.

I only read part of Boatmurdered, but I remembered liking it quite a bit.  The story-telling people do here can be quite neat.

Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 13326