Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15856754 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #32010 on: December 17, 2010, 06:19:36 pm »

Ok, if those instant translators and photoshop things are real... wow.

And suddenly Janet's post makes me think it's only a matter of time before we can reskin and replace the models of reality in real time.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: December 17, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »

it's only a matter of time before we can reskin and replace the models of reality in real time.

This.
[/post]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32012 on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:02 pm »

Not so much.  More like... more advanced Augmented Reality, I guess.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #32013 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »

Winter break. Two weeks to do... nothing. Awesome.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »

it's only a matter of time before we can reskin and replace the models of reality in real time.

This.
I don't know if I can find it again, but I saw a demo of an iPhone app that removed objects from pictures in real-time.

It did a pretty bad job--it only used one camera, and didn't keep a great sense of state.  Mostly, you highlighted the object and it figured out what you were referring to, and then every individual frame (I think) it cut out that object and intelligently filled in the background.  So if that object was on a solid background, then great!  An apple on a table, a drain in a sink, etc.  But more complex things--storm drain on a curb--it did worse at.  Trying to remove an apple that you're holding would be right out.

Now, if you wanted to re-skin a thing in realtime, they were the same shape, and you had a good idea of the model and the texture of the initial object...well that gets pretty darn easy by these standards.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »

Let's say that this object is a person, and that the mod in question is much like the ones Janet posted earlier...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »

Theres a flickering blob-like line across her face in the kinect 3d communication thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #32018 on: December 17, 2010, 07:21:29 pm »

It's really just a matter of camera quality that's really holding stuff like that back.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: December 17, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »

Yeah, those problems are due to a combination of range finding pixel size and camera angle. If you were really observant, you would notice some of her edges plastered along the wall on the far right. Essentially is sees her, but the range-finding says it is on the wall, not her face, due to pixel size mismatch. Although with more cameras you could do a 360 degree view with no gaps like that one.

Another one: http://www.ted.com/talks/john_underkoffler_drive_3d_data_with_a_gesture.html
Yes, that is a minority report style interface. Be sure to pick your jaws up off the floor on your way out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:28:00 pm by alway »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: December 17, 2010, 07:31:51 pm »

It's really just a matter of camera quality that's really holding stuff like that back.

Speaking of which, has anyone yet figured out why digital cameras turn to blurry pieces of shit after like a year?  Especially if exposed to slightly freezing temperatures?  I guess what I'm asking for is, if there's an invention that solves planned-obsolescence.

Another one: http://www.ted.com/talks/john_underkoffler_drive_3d_data_with_a_gesture.html
Yes, that is a minority report style interface. Be sure to pick your jaws up off the floor on your way out.

Eh, as cool as that is, it's not actually that extraordinary.  I remember seeing laser-projector keyboards for palm-pilots like ten years ago.  I prefer physical keys myself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:00 pm »

I guess what I'm asking for is, if there's an invention that solves planned-obsolescence.
Whatever invention solves planned-obsolescence, I'm sure you will have to buy a new one every month.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: December 17, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

I guess what I'm asking for is, if there's an invention that solves planned-obsolescence.
Whatever invention solves planned-obsolescence, I'm sure you will have to buy a new one every month.
Couldn't you just buy two at once and use them on each other?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »

Not without violating the DMCA.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »

Hopy shit, you guys have opened my eyes.  Ash and Gary are the obligatory TourneyTards at every party where people are playing Brawl.

NO ITEMS
VULPIX ONLY
FINAL ROAD

This made me grin something fierce. Speaking of Brawl, I got a belated birthday/early Christmas present today; a Wii my brother had hacked extensively. It can play MSX games (think La Mulana), Genesis/SNES/N64 Roms, and also has a library of every Wii game, ever, on it. Having an extremely electronics-savvy brother can be rather nice. :)

Do we have a thread for Wii games/ friend codes? I'mma have to add y'all.
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 13326