Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2012 2013 [2014] 2015 2016 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15846761 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Ka-MEW~!
« Reply #30195 on: December 03, 2010, 07:12:13 am »

Y'see, I wasn't joking in those lyrics. For my Anthem, though, I could probably stumble my way through the first stanza, but the second is basically never sung anyway.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30196 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:47 am »

When I started typing that I was just joking around, but after "twilight's last gleaming" I honestly don't know how the tune goes or what the words are.  In my mind, it just picks up again at "and the rockets' red glare", and I know there's a huge hole in between those lines.

Of course, there is nobody alive who can sing the other five verses by heart anyway.

IIRC one part you're missing goes something like this

Whose broad stripes and white stars
Through the perilous night
O'er the ramparts we watched
Oh so gallantly streaming

Yes, that's from memory.  Yes, I probably got it wrong.  No, I can't sing the damn thing even if it's right, because it apparently takes me the better part of two minutes to recall that verse.

Side note:  "Play ball!" should be officially recognized as the last line.  Everyone says it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:29:08 am by Earthquake Damage »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30197 on: December 03, 2010, 07:27:08 am »

The Japanese are lucky.  They only have 4 lines to their entire song.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #30198 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:23 am »

While the Greeks have some hundred or so verses.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #30199 on: December 03, 2010, 07:29:54 am »

The Icelandic national anthem is fairly short, but it's a bitch to sing and whenever it's played by a foreign band it's always played too fast.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30200 on: December 03, 2010, 07:32:50 am »

Oh my god ._.

Let me guess: "Dawn with her rosy-red fingers" figures in about a fourth of them?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30201 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:55 am »

Of course, there is nobody alive who can sing the other five verses by heart anyway.

As a child, when I discovered that there were other verses to the anthem, I was dumbfounded. At one point I could do the second one. I don't remember it these days, but if I recall the words started to feel less... inspiring after that point.

P.S. On the subject of national anthems, this is possibly the most oppressive, dramatic, and musical national anthem in existence.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:42:24 am by Solifuge »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #30202 on: December 03, 2010, 07:44:07 am »

Oh my god ._.

Let me guess: "Dawn with her rosy-red fingers" figures in about a fourth of them?
No idea, I don't speak Greek.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30203 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:33 am »

Oh my god it's like Euclid's Elements all over again.

Or a category theory textbook.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30204 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:17 am »

It's nearly the weekend. Yaay!
*Hugs*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30205 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:48 am »

My girlfriend just bought a new Samsung Galaxy phone with Android! I'm happy for her!

(I should also post in the rage thread that I don't own a new Samsung Galaxy smartphone)

But I have an iPhone 3GS!

(But I can't update it to the latest iOS because Apple are a bunch of anti-jailbreak douchebags)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30206 on: December 03, 2010, 10:15:49 am »

Finished my work on the mafia subforum.

Time to go to bed for a couple hours, so I can get up and attack the language resources I managed to find online :D

I'm looking forward to practicing my Japanese, French, and (horrible, practically non-extant) Polish.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30207 on: December 03, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

Polish.
Being from a post-soviet country,I can speak Russian (like 50% of the population), therefore I understand some Polish by word associations. My Russian is much better of course.
 The languages I speak are (in order from best to worst):
-Lithuanian
-English (Learning by practical use,because I'm already better at it than my teacher.)
-Russian
-German (Learning.)
 I wanted to learn Italian instead of German,but we don't have Italian in our school. German is hard...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30208 on: December 03, 2010, 11:49:41 am »

-English (Learning by practical use,because I'm already better at it than my teacher.)

I think the entire point of English is to be unteachable. I mean, look at AMERICA. We have thirteen years of learning, followed by (increasingly less optional) college, and English classes are the single most constant aspect of it all.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30209 on: December 03, 2010, 11:54:46 am »

I think the entire point of English is to be unteachable. I mean, look at AMERICA. We have thirteen years of learning, followed by (increasingly less optional) college, and English classes are the single most constant aspect of it all.

English isn't hard really. It's probably the easiest language I can speak. And Lithuanian is horrible. If I wasn't born here, I probably wouldn't learn speaking it fluently in my entire lifetime.
 German is also really hard.
 Russian is fine.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.
Pages: 1 ... 2012 2013 [2014] 2015 2016 ... 13326