Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1879 1880 [1881] 1882 1883 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15862095 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #28200 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:32 am »

I realised that awhile ago CrownofFire, but it is indeed awesome. Of course there are problems when you throw in the extra one element several cultures have had, the two biggest being Lightning, which is more commonly consitered a Plasma than fire, and Soul/Spirt, which is hard to discribe.
I've never heard of Lightning being an element, would you be so kind as to point me to what cultures have it as an element? Spirit is generally considered a more abstract element anyway, from what I've seen. It's not really regarded as part of the actual physical world (which is why it's called Spirit :P). But yeah, Spirit is generally purely non-physical.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28201 on: November 19, 2010, 05:14:45 am »

I realised that awhile ago CrownofFire, but it is indeed awesome. Of course there are problems when you throw in the extra one element several cultures have had, the two biggest being Lightning, which is more commonly consitered a Plasma than fire, and Soul/Spirt, which is hard to discribe.
I've never heard of Lightning being an element, would you be so kind as to point me to what cultures have it as an element? Spirit is generally considered a more abstract element anyway, from what I've seen. It's not really regarded as part of the actual physical world (which is why it's called Spirit :P). But yeah, Spirit is generally purely non-physical.

Lightning, in my experience was considered the province of air, or in some cases the mating of air and fire but I've never seen it as an element itself, aside from in games.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:17:08 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28202 on: November 19, 2010, 05:16:00 am »

Lightning was consitered an element monstly in asian cultures if my memory is correct, I could be wrong though.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28203 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:07 am »

Lightning was consitered an element monstly in asian cultures if my memory is correct, I could be wrong though.

As far as I know the main elements in Asian culture were Wood, Metal, Fire, Air and Water
*Hugs*

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28204 on: November 19, 2010, 07:42:32 am »

That is correct, Merchant.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28205 on: November 19, 2010, 08:35:03 am »

Spoiler: Onion newspaper (click to show/hide)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28207 on: November 19, 2010, 08:44:36 am »

Huh, Therapy seems to have helped a bit. I'm not in a perpetual state of raging deprage anymore.
*Hugs*

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28208 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:33 am »

A hot enough fire can produce plasma too.
So can a hot enough rock...
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28209 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:33 am »

I just realized that the four Classical Elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) correspond perfectly with the four main forms of matter (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma, respectively). Either the best coincidence ever, or those guys that came up with this were just awesome.
You could go with Solid, Liquid, Gas and Energy.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28210 on: November 19, 2010, 11:27:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28211 on: November 19, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »

I just realized that the four Classical Elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) correspond perfectly with the four main forms of matter (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma, respectively). Either the best coincidence ever, or those guys that came up with this were just awesome.
You could go with Solid, Liquid, Gas and Energy.
There's spirit and dark matter too.  Spirit is the power of the tiny individual, dark matter is the power of the gigantic cosmos.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #28212 on: November 19, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »

HOW. SEVEN

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28213 on: November 19, 2010, 12:17:36 pm »

I've never heard of Lightning being an element, would you be so kind as to point me to what cultures have it as an element? Spirit is generally considered a more abstract element anyway, from what I've seen. It's not really regarded as part of the actual physical world (which is why it's called Spirit :P ). But yeah, Spirit is generally purely non-physical.

Lightning, in my experience was considered the province of air, or in some cases the mating of air and fire but I've never seen it as an element itself, aside from in games.
Lightning/energy is an interesting element/force of nature if you look at it closely enough.

It utilizes a bunch of energy to be visible, but during a lightning storm when it's especially visible in larger magnitudes, it seems to exert so much energy, that when you watch it flash (IE- in a single discharge), you can sometimes see it fade in particles. My thoughts about that is essentially, if you look closely enough at the elements in action during a storm, lightning is a bunch of energy vaporizing tons of water molecules into their separate elements (Oxygen, Hydrogen, and Nitrogen), and then detonating the separate particles simultaneously (in a flash, so to say, except the nitrogen I think), resulting in tons of tiny explosions, stacking together into one really loud shockwave, thereby generating the thunder you hear after the flash. Simply put, lightning in storms are the tallest explosions you'll see one time or another up close.

The nitrogen being involved, I think, is already in the atmosphere, and the shockwave from the thunder forces it back into the ground fertilizing plants that are caught in the storm. At least, that's something I recall from some agriculture classes or something. Anyway, it is interesting to see plants look a whole lot greener after lightning has been striking closely after a storm passes.

EDIT:
Of course, this is just my observation and what I can recall. It's not perfect. Plus, it's been a good while since I took a class in the field.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:38:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28214 on: November 19, 2010, 12:22:02 pm »

Lightning/energy is an interesting element/force of nature if you look at it closely enough.

It utilizes a bunch of energy to be visible, but during a lightning storm when it's especially visible in larger magnitudes, it seems to exert so much energy, that when you watch it flash (IE- in a single discharge), you see it fade in particles. My thoughts about that is essentially, if you look closely enough at the elements in action during a storm, lightning is a bunch of energy vaporizing tons of water molecules into their separate elements (Oxygen, Hydrogen, and Nitrogen), and then detonating the separate particles simultaneously (in a flash, so to say, except the nitrogen I think), resulting in tons of tiny explosions, stacking together into one really loud shockwave, thereby generating the thunder you hear after the flash. Simply put, lightning in storms are the tallest explosions you'll see one time or another up close.

The nitrogen being involved, I think, is already in the atmosphere, and the shockwave from the thunder forces it back into the ground fertilizing plants that are caught in the storm. At least, that's something I recall from some agriculture classes or something.

[citation needed]
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 1879 1880 [1881] 1882 1883 ... 13326