Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15853395 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #27780 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:26 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:48:00 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27781 on: November 15, 2010, 11:02:18 pm »

I learned what the Solifugae are. Dammit Solifuge, I'm going to think of them every time I see you now.

So cute! :3

Their name comes from the Latin sol (sun) and fugere (to escape from) to mean "Those who flee the sun". It's fitting for someone who slept through most of their days, and worked all night long.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27782 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:14 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:48:13 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27783 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:21 pm »

I heard they actually run toward people because tall object = shade, ergo sol+fugere.

Oh, and I get to stay with my dad for a week just before Christmas.
So awesome.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27784 on: November 16, 2010, 12:28:47 am »

I got conned into decided I'd be cooking Thanksgiving Dinner with my dad. Methinks I'm going to make those Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffin thingers again.

P.S. If you think Solifugids are creepy, check out Amblypygids.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27785 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:26 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:48:27 pm by Bauglir »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27786 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:52 am »

Lies and blasphemy!
Arachnids are the best.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27787 on: November 16, 2010, 12:44:55 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:48:36 pm by Bauglir »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #27788 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:28 am »

We don't really have many bad spiders in Oregon, the worst one is probably the Hobo spider. Nasty things though, their bites can cause necrosis or something, and not heal for up to two to three years. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Other than the venomous ones though, spiders are fine, it's cool to let one crawl on your arm.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27789 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:08 am »

There are both Black Widows and Brown Recluses where I live, the two deadliest types of spider on the continent. That said, they're pretty rare. I only recall ever seeing a Black Widow once in my life, and I've never been able to confirm the spiders that I thought were Brown Recluses as being so. NC is a suprisingly poisonous-species filled area, and I've never been able to explain why. Black Cherry grows here as well, and you do not want to get poisoned by that. I think it might very well be the most hazardous plant on the planet. It's been known to kill cows with ease.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27790 on: November 16, 2010, 12:55:23 am »

Sorry... both my Ex, and my current GA worked in the Arachnid Lab on campus, and I've spent a lot of time with the little lovelies. Once you know what to expect from them, they aren't so bad.

I had a pet Carolina Wolf Spider way back when too... she was trying to get indoors as the temperature was dropping, and I sorta saved her from my rampaging roommate. I kept her in a little enclosure through the Winter, and fed her little crickets. She had a ~3 inch diameter legspan when relaxed, and had a very pretty brown-and-white pattern on her carapace.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27792 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:23 am »

We've got cane spiders and banana spiders.
Cane spiders are huge, but quite docile, sometimes even friendly.
Banana spiders, also known as golden orb weavers, have insanely strong webs that they sometimes catch birds with.
They have a neurotoxin similar to, but less powerful than the black widow's.
It will leave a very painful blister that will last for days.
But they are some of the most beautiful spiders I have ever seen.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27793 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:47 am »

Oh lordy spiders.

Not having spiders is the only good thing to come out of this unholy cold.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27794 on: November 16, 2010, 01:07:31 am »

The Westboro Baptist Church got owned: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101114_11_A12_CUTLIN105145&allcom=1
USA! USA! USA!

But seriously, it's nice that people are uniting against them for being assholes. At least my initial reading was wrong though. Cutting people's faces open is a bit of an over reaction in most cases. (I thought the article was about one of the Westboro people having a slashed face.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 ... 13326