Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15845384 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #27285 on: November 11, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

Hmm, do you get apocalyptic warnings from mathematicians about having their intellectual property stolen?

Mathematicians are possibly the worst people ever about footnoting and stuff--because a lot of people don't even believe it's their intellectual property.  They think that it was just there, waiting for them to discover.  That means that whoever gets there first or has the theorem named after him wins, and after that there's no references whatsoever needed.  If they say something that isn't true, they'll get collectively clobbered by the rest of the community for either a. fucking up their research or b. training bad students (and an error isn't just a "whoops" deal, it's a really, really big thing).  Basically, works with errors are quickly forgotten about in favor of a different text.

Most references are really used to direct the reader to other good textbooks, not cite sources.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #27286 on: November 11, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »

I got my hands on my first Sir Terry Pratchett book. The Color of Magic. Turns out my high school library has a whole bunch of Pratchett's books, especially surprising since the public library has a whopping one book from him.

Literature. Whee!
Fixed. But good on you. He's a great author.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27287 on: November 11, 2010, 05:14:16 pm »

Quote from: Choir teacher
Just the girls. Wait no, just the Altos and Sopranos.

what's in your heart doesn't matter.

I love my choir teacher.

She also run around threatening to hit people with the "Choir Clubber"

Its a bat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:17:37 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27288 on: November 11, 2010, 05:24:43 pm »

Choir Clubber
that could be an Adventurer title.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27289 on: November 11, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

I had a math teacher who used to threaten us to hit us with her 2-by-4 if we didn't shut our pie-holes.

She had one, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27290 on: November 11, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »

Why couldn't I have cool teachers like that, instead of pervy old men..?
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27291 on: November 11, 2010, 05:30:09 pm »

Our band teacher is a awesome guy who is extremely passionate about jazz and music in general.

So cool.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #27292 on: November 11, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »

My dad used to teach about oil rigs and suchlike, so he had a model of one of the drill bits in the corner. If someone wasn't paying attention, he'd pretend to struggle to pick it up, then toss it at and and watch him brick it,

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27293 on: November 11, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »

Heh, installing gnome, my dl topped in at ~2M/s.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27294 on: November 11, 2010, 05:32:45 pm »

On the other hand, I have math professors with a terror that the chalkboard is going to fall on them and crush them, but don't manage to get out of the building when the fire alarm goes off (because they'd rather sit still and talk calculus).  Yeah... weird guys.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #27295 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:15 pm »

I had a math teacher who used to threaten us to hit us with her 2-by-4 if we didn't shut our pie-holes.

She had one, too.

(click for bigger version if you can't make it out)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27296 on: November 11, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »

Our teacher waves it around when we aren't moving enough when singing our happy upbeat songs about god.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27297 on: November 11, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

One of my favorite teachers was last year.  He was my history teacher and he's been teaching at my school since the 70's.  Before that he served in Vietnam.  He was mentioned last period yesterday for his service (since he's a veteran now).  That's not all though.  Mr. Nylander is one of the best teachers here.  He's probably one of the happiest people and he's very fun-loving.  I wish I had him this year but that's impossible.  ;_;

He was one of the guides for Open House yesterday as well, I saw him and he waved.  And laughed.  Waved and laughed.

He knows how to live.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27298 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »

We have somewhere to sleep tonight, which is cool.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27299 on: November 11, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »

She had one, too.

(click for bigger version if you can't make it out)

Hahaha, I know what I should hang on my wall when I become a TA :D

Pages: 1 ... 1818 1819 [1820] 1821 1822 ... 13326