Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1655 1656 [1657] 1658 1659 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777223 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #24840 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:31 am »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24841 on: October 21, 2010, 01:47:16 am »

Vector, I do wonder about this too. Some avatars bring people to obscurity of never being known or recognized by anybody else, where other avatars will make even a boring person popular. I've always wanted to know what unique and fresh things one could have to manipulate this, although it's subjective enough to be a fickle study.

Yeah, it seems to me that it'd be more an "exploration" than a study--just one of those "well, here's a series of correlations we found, and the end result is that maybe if you do this series of things you'll be noticed more."  It might actually be interesting as a sort of side-door into advertising and fashion theory, because there are fewer variables to work with.  A sort of case study.

Well, anyway.  I'm not the right person to do this project, just like I'm not the right person to try to apply Conway's Game of Life to Go AI, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyone in case anyone felt like thinking about it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24842 on: October 21, 2010, 01:50:17 am »

I am the ever-burning sun of kindness, shining my warm fuzzies onto everyone with my light and fair posts.

Actually, in other things that made me happy today, I just thought up an unverifiable social experiment... I'm kind of wondering how one's avatar influences one's own posts.  If someone is told to post in an account with an "aggressive" avatar, how does their behavior change from "happy" avatars and no avatar?  Is there any difference?

Rather than banning someone, could we just make an avatar force-change for some amount of time to alter their behavior?  Or are the behavioral patterns I see the results of someone feeling aggressive and swapping to a more aggressive-looking projection of themselves?

Dunno.  Seems kind of pointless.  But I enjoy this sort of thought experiment.

Eh, I figure the reader is more effected by the avatar than the poster. Aqizzars posts for instance, if taken out of context, are not always oozing with gruff masculine authority. Slap that beautiful mug up beside them and suddenly, hell, they totally are.

And if we're broaching the matter of people with stupid avatars acting like dumbasses, it's a little hard to trace cause and effect here, but I think you have it backwards on that one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24843 on: October 21, 2010, 01:52:03 am »

Right, I generally expect the reader to gain more context than the poster does, but it seemed like an interesting loop of causation to explore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #24844 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:03 am »

I blame all my swear words on that last avatar.

So cruel, so mean. It caused me to say such fiendish things!

But now I feel warm as the sun itself! :]

Who wants a big ol HUG!?
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24845 on: October 21, 2010, 01:54:08 am »

I am the ever-burning sun of kindness, shining my warm fuzzies onto everyone with my light and fair posts.

Actually, in other things that made me happy today, I just thought up an unverifiable social experiment... I'm kind of wondering how one's avatar influences one's own posts.  If someone is told to post in an account with an "aggressive" avatar, how does their behavior change from "happy" avatars and no avatar?  Is there any difference?

Rather than banning someone, could we just make an avatar force-change for some amount of time to alter their behavior?  Or are the behavioral patterns I see the results of someone feeling aggressive and swapping to a more aggressive-looking projection of themselves?

Dunno.  Seems kind of pointless.  But I enjoy this sort of thought experiment.

Eh, I figure the reader is more effected by the avatar than the poster. Aqizzars posts for instance, if taken out of context, are not always oozing with gruff masculine authority. Slap that beautiful mug up beside them and suddenly, hell, they totally are.

And if we're broaching the matter of people with stupid avatars acting like dumbasses, it's a little hard to trace cause and effect here, but I think you have it backwards on that one.

I dunno, I always find Aqizzars posts recognizable. He's just really good at speaking. Presumably less so in real life without the benefit of preparation but his posts always seem to stand out, in arguments especially. Him and Dasleah.

It might have something to do with me being impossibly impressionable.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24846 on: October 21, 2010, 01:54:36 am »

I feel that my avatar is as honest as they get.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24847 on: October 21, 2010, 01:55:54 am »

Somehow I feel like playing DF.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO KITTY?!
Mod it real quick so you can play as elves or something.
I've always preferred playing as humans.

I think Ill go back to my old mod idea. Yay!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24848 on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:25 am »

I have a feeling mine gives off vibes not unrelated to raping and/or killing.
Not necessarily in that order.

Meanwhile, Janet made me realize that I am incredibly safe if a vampire ever attacks me, with three crosses, one of which is actually a voodoo doll, four tarot decks' worth of pentacles, and two hexacles, one carved into my thigh and the other carved into one of my rings.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24849 on: October 21, 2010, 01:59:10 am »

Your avatar gives off vibes on ALOOFNESS YUUUUUUU.

My avatars are always just people I like.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24850 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:10 am »

Your avatar gives off vibes on ALOOFNESS YUUUUUUU.

My avatars are always just people I like.

Silly Toonyman, animes aren't people!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24851 on: October 21, 2010, 02:05:09 am »

I dunno, I always find Aqizzars posts recognizable. He's just really good at speaking. Presumably less so in real life without the benefit of preparation but his posts always seem to stand out, in arguments especially. Him and Dasleah.

It might have something to do with me being impossibly impressionable.

Well, I certainly didn't mean it as a slight to Aq. The avatar just adds to the effect, you know? His well-reasoned arguments are backed up by sheer concentrated mangrit, a devastating one-two punch.

And I could recognize Dasleahs posts blindfolded.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #24852 on: October 21, 2010, 02:07:15 am »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24853 on: October 21, 2010, 02:08:09 am »

And I could recognize Dasleahs posts blindfolded.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24854 on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:11 am »

A forum I used to frequent would short-term ban you, and permanently set your avatar (and all avatars on that IP, I believe) to this, if you were disruptive enough:

Pages: 1 ... 1655 1656 [1657] 1658 1659 ... 13325