Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15785597 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #23430 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:44 am »

I just learned of Skullcrushers, so now my cute little baby triceps can grow to become as gorgeous as my biceps.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23431 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:40 am »

Did I mention that I'm stoic, rough, and hopeless for Kitties? Even friendly cats make me melt into a pile of adorable-addled goo.

However, cats who don't know their place, I consider an abomination against nature.

How is this relevant? Everyone who likes KITTIES! (DAAWWW) gain some small amount of points.
And people who fuck a stereotype, I respect wholeheartedly. And worship a little.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23432 on: October 12, 2010, 11:53:38 am »

Radiation poisoning works by damaging RNA, right?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23433 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:27 am »

And people who fuck a stereotype, I respect wholeheartedly. And worship a little.
...Wha?  Am I meant to go start a relationship with a lazy Italian?

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #23434 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:11 pm »

Mama mia!
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23435 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:20 pm »

Radiation poisoning is caused by ionized particles, which pretty much punch right through you and occasionally hit the cells (on a very small level), which can kill said cells outright or make the body kill them in responce to the damage. When enough of this happens in a short period of time, you get sick/die because of the loss of cells. Very specific harm to the cell can result in it becoming cancerous.

Alpha particles generally can only harm you if you get a source inside your body, because even your skin or a piece of paper can deflect them. Beta particles aren't very much of a threat either, as they can be stopped cold by as little as a few layers of clothing. Gamma waves are the true danger, as they require the equivalent of a decent layer of lead or six feet of water to stop.

Why are you asking about this in the happy thread? Radiation posioning isn't very happy to me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:17:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23436 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:12 pm »

Radiation poisoning is caused by ionized particles, which pretty much punch right through you and occasionally hit the cells, which can kill said cells outright or make the body kill them in responce to the damage. When enough of this happens in a short period of time, you get sick/die because of the loss of cells. Very specific harm to the cell can result in it becoming cancerous.

Alpha particles generally can only harm you if you get a source inside your body, because even your skin or a piece of paper can deflect them. Beta particles aren't very much of a threat either, as they can be stopped cold by as little as a few layers of clothing. Gamma particles are the true danger, as they require the equivalent of a decent layer of lead or six feet of water to stop.

Why are you asking about this in the happy thread? Radiation posioning isn't very happy to me.

Gamma particles? Gamma waves you mean.

I understand the basics of radiation poisoning, I was just wondering about the exact mechanism. Certainly DNA damage would cause harm eventually, but radiation poisoning != cancer and happens soon after exposure. I just thought it would damage your RNA the same way it would damage your DNA and mess up your protein encoding, thus causing all those nasty symptoms.

The "happy" thread is really more of a general discussion thread at this stage. Although I am happy that I am smart.

EDIT:

What you're saying is that the cells would undergo apoptosis due to the radiation damage, which is probably true, but I want to know why.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:18:24 pm by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23437 on: October 12, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »

Gamma particles are the most dangerous to be irradiated with, but if you're actually contaminated (ie have swallowed something radioactive) Alpha waves are actually the worst, since they'll almost all be absorbed by your insides.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23438 on: October 12, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

What you're saying is that the cells would undergo apoptosis due to the radiation damage, which is probably true, but I want to know why.
The cell is harmed on a base level, and as such the daughter cells will turn out wrong following the next division. Either the immune system will kill them or the body will send them a trigger for apoptosis, unless it has become cancerous.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #23439 on: October 12, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »

or you get really cool spider-themed powers
You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23440 on: October 12, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »

I was just wondering about the exact mechanism. Certainly DNA damage would cause harm eventually, but radiation poisoning != cancer and happens soon after exposure.
It's DNA damage alright: enough of it eventually activates tumor suppressors, inducing apoptosis or otherwise killing the cell. Cells undergoing replication are more vunerable. That's why tissues like the brain are far less vunerable to it, whereas the gut, bone marrow, and intestinal lining are far more sensitive. This also plays an important part in determining the effectiveness of radiotherapy in tumors.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23441 on: October 12, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »

I was just wondering about the exact mechanism. Certainly DNA damage would cause harm eventually, but radiation poisoning != cancer and happens soon after exposure.
It's DNA damage alright: enough of it eventually activates tumor suppressors, inducing apoptosis or otherwise killing the cell. Cells undergoing replication are more vunerable. That's why tissues like the brain are far less vunerable to it, whereas the gut, bone marrow, and intestinal lining are far more sensitive. This also plays an important part in determining the effectiveness of radiotherapy in tumors.

Ahh. And then the damage to the digestive system is what causes nausea? That makes sense.
I like learning. It's fun.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #23442 on: October 12, 2010, 01:09:03 pm »

Captain wiki to the rescue!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation#Biological_effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning

Biological effects of radiation on living cells may result in a variety of outcomes, including:

1.Cells experience DNA damage and are able to detect and repair the damage.
2.Cells experience DNA damage and are unable to repair the damage. These cells may go through the process of programmed cell death, or apoptosis, thus eliminating the potential genetic damage from the larger tissue.
3.Cells experience a nonlethal DNA mutation that is passed on to subsequent cell divisions. This mutation may contribute to the formation of a cancer.
4.Cells experience "irreparable DNA damage." Low level ionizing radiation may induce irreparable DNA damage (leading to replicational and transcriptional errors needed for neoplasia or may trigger viral interactions) leading to pre-mature aging and cancer.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23443 on: October 12, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »

Applied to like 10 subway stores in one swoop.  Really hoping at least one calls me...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23444 on: October 12, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3923025/find_any_hidden_camera_thats_watching_you_in_seconds_w_hidden_camera_detector/

This sound legit to you? I suppose it's possible, but something about that explanation screams "*ID10T MODE ON*..."
That looks like a scam. No way that thing can gauge chips without frying them, the electronics within a camera aren't RF chips, they're insulated.
Pages: 1 ... 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 ... 13325