Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778730 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #21465 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:57 am »

Solifuge, you are being truly australopithecus afarensis right now.

Nice to know I'm only a few million years your antecedent. Now to work on that Neocortex, and file down this protruding jaw!

Now I'm the king of the hominids,
Oh, the grassland's VIP
I stand upright, and that's alright,
But that's not what's bothering me.
I wanna be a
homo sapiens,
And stroll right into town
And be just like you other guys,
I'm tired of monkeying around!

Oooooooh,
I wanna be like you
I wanna walk like you
Talk like you, it's true...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21466 on: September 24, 2010, 12:51:53 am »

Suddenly more words D:

I'll see your GM Guide and raise you one tingo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21467 on: September 24, 2010, 12:51:54 am »

Pumping out poems eh?

NOOOOOO!

ToonyMan, ToonyMan,
Does whatever a penguin can
Has a head, oversized,
Kills you sanity with his lies.
Look Out!
Here comes the ToonyMan.

Is he wierd?
Listen dude,
He's crazier than a fey mood.
Will he kill you today?
He's got an evil death ray.
Hey, there
There goes the ToonyMan.

In the chill of night
At the scene of a crime
Like a bullet from a gun
He'll kill you just for fun.

ToonyMan, ToonyMan
Abominable ToonyMan
Wealth and fame
He's ingnored
Ranomness is his reward.

To him, life is a great +Iron Sword+
Whenever you are really bored.
You'll find the ToonyMan.

by
Psyco Jelly

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21468 on: September 24, 2010, 01:03:01 am »

Toony, that was awesome. I'm also definitely using that against you in Mafia.

BTW, that was a rehash of a song from The Jungle Book movie. For some reason, I've been writing Filk lyrics lately.

Suddenly more words D:

I'll see your GM Guide and raise you one tingo.

Ooooh, had to wiktionary that one. It uses the same root as Tincture, doesn't it? I like.
...Yay linguistic masturbation!  :o

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21469 on: September 24, 2010, 01:07:29 am »

Ooooh, had to wiktionary that one. It uses the same root as Tincture, doesn't it? I like.

No, not quite... look at the end of the image at the top of this page.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21470 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:46 am »

In case anyone digs etymology as much as I do, I'm currently studying Arabic and came across this. The English word "artichoke" comes from the Arabic word khurshuuf (خرشوف), borrowed with the definite article al- into Spanish as alcarchofa, then through Italian adaption articiocco became French artichaut and English artichoke. Through later European colonization of Arabic-speaking lands, the word came back into Arabic colloquial speech and was adapted to Arabic as arDi shawki (ارضي شوكي), which in Arabic means roughly "earthy thorny". It's used in some dialects of Arabic and is the only case I know where a language borrows a word that is ultimately from its own language and adapts it :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21471 on: September 24, 2010, 01:19:47 am »

Damn, that's amazing.  How are you studying Arabic?  What I mean, really, is: do you know of any good online resources for it?

(I took Arabic for two years, but have forgotten most of it and just kind of suck at this point)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21472 on: September 24, 2010, 01:28:16 am »

Damn, that's amazing.  How are you studying Arabic?  What I mean, really, is: do you know of any good online resources for it?

(I took Arabic for two years, but have forgotten most of it and just kind of suck at this point)
There are a few good online courses for the basics, but to really learn the language you need an Arabic speaking person to teach you. There are many difficult sounds to learn and it takes a long time to produce them and differentiate between them, and the grammar is mind-blowing. I took some Latin before and it was a piece of cake in comparison. I'm studying Arabic with Middle Eastern Studies at my University in Stockholm, and it's three years of hard work, I study way more than 40 hours a week, and after a year I didn't know enough grammar to read a page from a newspaper. So it's a commitment, but it's really fun and I love a challenge. Where did you take Arabic?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21473 on: September 24, 2010, 01:31:29 am »

Etymology!

Huh... and so the wayward pilgrim returns home. That's really neat; I'm especially fond of how it carried back a new, but appropriate, meaning to its mother language. I wonder what the original Arabic word meant?

This reminds me of how eagerly I'm looking forward to the Linguistic Anthropology section of my Anthro lectures. If this is to be my other Major, I need to start figuring out which specialty I most want to focus on... Archaeology is also sorely tempting, and Physical/Biological Anthro. is probably the most relevant to my career options. Ah, the sweet temptation of indecision!

No, not quite... look at the end of the image at the top of this page.
Aha! I was looking up Tingo/Tinctum from Latin, which is rather less awesome than that book appears to be. Tomorrow, I quest to find this text in the bowels of the local librarynth.

Huzzah!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21474 on: September 24, 2010, 01:38:04 am »

There are a few good online courses for the basics, but to really learn the language you need an Arabic speaking person to teach you. There are many difficult sounds to learn and it takes a long time to produce them and differentiate between them, and the grammar is mind-blowing. I took some Latin before and it was a piece of cake in comparison. I'm studying Arabic with Middle Eastern Studies at my University in Stockholm, and it's three years of hard work, I study way more than 40 hours a week, and after a year I didn't know enough grammar to read a page from a newspaper. So it's a commitment, but it's really fun and I love a challenge. Where did you take Arabic?

Two Arabic women who live in the area; I know the alphabet, pronunciation, a smattering of words... maybe as much as a particularly dumb 2-year-old with an affinity for scripts.  Pronunciation is actually very easy for me (I walk around just muttering noises at myself for months until I've gotten them right); I just need somewhere to get enough Arabic that I can practice reading, writing, and learn some more grammar, and so on.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21475 on: September 24, 2010, 01:51:01 am »

And so, Solifuge inspired a poem.

O! this linguistic masturbation,
such sesquipedalian emasculation,
that ameliorative, aggrandizing
idiolect, garrulous in nature,
aggrandizes adolescence to effusive senescense

O! this obfuscating ventilation
stipulates nates-recumbing,
ingemination, andante alternation, ovation, retroversion,
when prolix is not
desideratum ab initio

O! this linguistic masturbation
is trying my goddamned patience

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21476 on: September 24, 2010, 01:51:41 am »

FINALLY

I BEAT THE DAMN HIDDEN CAVE

askjdgdjkfhsjkdfh;as;lariwe853jfehs

FAKEEDIT: DAMN IT MISERY YOU BITCH
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21477 on: September 24, 2010, 02:00:24 am »

Two Arabic women who live in the area; I know the alphabet, pronunciation, a smattering of words... maybe as much as a particularly dumb 2-year-old with an affinity for scripts.  Pronunciation is actually very easy for me (I walk around just muttering noises at myself for months until I've gotten them right); I just need somewhere to get enough Arabic that I can practice reading, writing, and learn some more grammar, and so on.
Oh, in that case the smattering of words is probably in dialect. Do you know where they were from? You may already know this, but if not, the Arabic that is actually spoken by Arabs has developed independently over hundreds of years in different parts of the Arabic-speaking world, while the written language has been extremely conservative and it has barely changed since 900 CE. Arabic is basically a macro-language and the Arabic spoken by Moroccans is incomprehensible to a Syrian. To counter this, every Arab learns Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) in school, it is the written conservative language, but it is also spoken when talking to an Arab that doesn't understand your dialect, but no one speaks it as a first language and only educated Arabs know it. It's very confusing, but basically it is as if all newspapers and books in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Romania were in Latin. So if you want to read, you'll want MSA. There is a pretty good online course at http://www.madinaharabic.com/ but if you want to pay for it, I really recommend the book Standard Arabic - An elementary - intermediate course by Eckehard Schulz. It uses tons of grammatical terminology though so it's not an easy read, but I like it for its clarity. Let me know if you're interested in dialects instead and I can probably help you out.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21478 on: September 24, 2010, 02:04:25 am »

FINALLY

I BEAT THE DAMN HIDDEN CAVE

askjdgdjkfhsjkdfh;as;lariwe853jfehs

FAKEEDIT: DAMN IT MISERY YOU BITCH

Misery... Cave Story?

Also Solipskier is amazing. I've already ranted about the quality of games today but every once in a while a game stands out, and this time it is Solipskier.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:08:20 am by Vertigon »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21479 on: September 24, 2010, 02:09:06 am »

Si, senor

I'm trying for BEST END.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 13325