Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777532 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #21435 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »

Enlightened mug?

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »

You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #21437 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »

I would always get those cheap plastic ones, from Chuck E Cheese. Then it wouldn't go down stairs, then it would break.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:23 pm »

EDIT: Curses.  Direct result of writing: 4:30 in the afternoon and have yet to put on clothing.

I don't suppose you're going to post the writing for us to read it?  Also, damn you for reminding me that I have yet to make and significant effort at writing anything myself, after many many months of saying "any day now".

Spoiler: Fine :I (click to show/hide)

I am only posting this because it was the best in the class, and so I feel somewhat mollified.  Unedited.

If you want to improve your writing, you ancient suckers, I suggest that you invest in a goddamned diction-ary!  Get it?  DICTION!  Word choice!  Beautiful, unified prose with a common theme and a flavor!  Not that I am god's gift to the English language, but you guys need a kick in the pants, man.

[/complaints]

Vester, just curious, have you ever seen the film Waking Life?

Because...

If not, I have a film for you to watch.

*puts on to-do list*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »

My writing (I'm doing some convulted mafia fanfic right now, you're going to be in it Vector!) involves making huge ass backstories before actually doing any writing.

As Duke put it,
The Blind People: You are just Tolkening all over the place

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: September 23, 2010, 11:19:50 pm »

I'm using that CS Lewis quote in my sig again.

As for writing, I do the same thing with the exposition.
I am a world-builder and a character designer.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21441 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »

No more DOOMJUICE?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21442 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:08 pm »

It will live on in your hearts.
And the .txt file where I keep all my ASCII art.
I could have it linking to Steam account, though, but I like the whiteness of the plain quote.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #21443 on: September 23, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »

My friend and I are coming up with an idea for a video game, it's a 3d side-scrolling shooter. More details are in the works, and I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's gonna be awesome. Also it might take a long time to come out since, well, we don't have anyone else working on it. Probably 5-7 years maybe? If we're lucky?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21444 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »

My beloved aquaintance and I put three and a half years of difficult exertion and brain-wracking imagination into crafting the world for his novel. I'd make intellectual quieries about miniscule details of the world, he'd provide answers, and if he couldn't extrapolate, I'd provide corrections or interesting properties. As we were masturcating over some of the latter stages of consumation, we arrived at an extensive and euphoric realisation that we had formed a simple storybook ideal into a living and breathing universe that Raymond E. Feist would have epiphanic tears over.

Case-In-Point.
'Big' words, Vector, while fun to throw at less intelligent individuals, are annoying, pretentious, and a worthy reminder of the ignorance of the intellectual classes, in not coming to the full realisation that an abundance of more suitable, and attractively smaller words are available for the exact same general use, while sometimes even being closer to the cusp of your musings, while still upholding the standards of supreme practicality for which they are known.

That is my humble opinion.
Nice writing though. A little stilted, but it probably should be. I wouldn't know.

... Defenestration, Antihistamines, Autodisembowelment, Callapherisms.
Antidisestablismentarianism.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: September 23, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »

The point of "Big Words" is not to "throw them at less intelligent individuals" for shits and giggles. They are more direct, more powerful, and better encapsulate specific meanings. They are linguistic tools honed to a fine point, rather than the blunt instruments of vulgate, which beat similar points in through brute force. Vocabulary is there to be used, not cloistered away in some derelict vault of cultural history.

<_<; Sorry. People who browbeat others for using the damned English language to good effect make me irritable.

That said, that was pretty snazzy, Vector. I am approve.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21446 on: September 23, 2010, 11:57:53 pm »

You use the vocabulary you have. End of muggafuggin' story.

(haha I am so zef)

((you sods))

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »

I wonder what I sound like to other people, that would be kinda weird to ask.

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21448 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »

You sound like the voice in my head reading text.

:|

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: September 24, 2010, 12:02:55 am »

'Big' words, Vector, while fun to throw at less intelligent individuals, are annoying, pretentious, and a worthy reminder of the ignorance of the intellectual classes, in not coming to the full realisation that an abundance of more suitable, and attractively smaller words are available for the exact same general use, while sometimes even being closer to the cusp of your musings, while still upholding the standards of supreme practicality for which they are known.

... When did I say I advocated the use of large words, rather than small ones?  I don't talk like this intentionally.  Rather, it's not like I am purposefully choosing big words over small ones.  For example, I would say that I am faint-hearted rather than pusillanimous, irritable over contumacious, and prone to argument rather than altercation.  I would say I attempt to be a guide rather than a cynosure.  I do not cavil or suffer from abulia: rather, I have trouble making decisions at times.  And these words, which evince my erudition via my germane--dare I say apropos--selection?  I learned them by rote, not inculcation.

Be glad I don't use my true vocabulary in writing or standard conversation.

EDIT: also, thank you for the compliments.  I agree that it was choppy, though that was largely intentional.  So was the ambiguity of the last sentence of the third paragraph.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:05:20 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 13325