Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15783837 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #20910 on: September 18, 2010, 10:06:29 pm »

Fuckin Dennys man.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20911 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:19 pm »

Finally downloaded the 2.0 and 2.1 for Third Age.

Wow, there's some big differences.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20912 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

Yeah, this is like... library booksale season, or something, so all the enormous public libraries in my area are having big sales.  Last year I picked up most of Charles Dickens' works, and this year I wound up with most of Shakespeare as well as a lot of other lovely things :3

Now I just need to find time to read everything.
There was a book sale at my local library last weekend, too. Paperbacks were 25 cents, Hardbacks 50 cents, and DVDs/Cassettes were 1 dollar. I ended up coming back with a bunch of trivia books, a science dictionary (50 cents for 4,000 pages of knowledge), and the first 5 episodes of the hit 70's Japanese superhero show, Jinzo Ningen Kikaida, which turned out to be hilariously awesome. It had great special effects, including an exploding VCR for an exploding robot, as well as a man throwing a mannequin off of a roof to simulate a 'super-jump'.

Just today I ran another race for XC, the toughest course within a thousand miles, I'm sure. On average, times were 90 seconds slower than usual, but that is to be expected when climbing a 60* hill for half a mile. It was my first race on Varsity, and we actually won a trophy, which was pretty sweet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20913 on: September 18, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

Holy shit, I need to open Steam more often.  Star Wars collection for $50 this week.  None of the games are individually that good, but it's an assload of them for the price of one new game.  Thanks, Steam.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20914 on: September 18, 2010, 10:48:05 pm »

Science, why was I not told of this?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20915 on: September 18, 2010, 10:52:43 pm »

...because while that's impressive, cloning isn't all that amazing anymore? Give me a human clone, then I'll be stunned (and questioning the ethical status of it). I'd bet we could do it, too. If you can dodge a car, you can dodge a ball, and if you can clone a dog, you can clone a human. (I really don't know if we could do it, but the joke is too obvious not to make.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20916 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »

I am glad that science is further than it was a year ago.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20917 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:50 pm »

We could clone humans. But for some reason people think it's unethical and won't let the scientists try... I'm not sure why. Are twins somehow unethical? Because it's pretty much the same thing. DNA isn't exactly something sacred.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20918 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:48 pm »

BECAUSE HUMANS ARE NOT TO MEDDLE IN GODS DOMAIN!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20919 on: September 18, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »

Are twins somehow unethical?
I feel unethical sometimes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20920 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »

We could clone humans. But for some reason people think it's unethical and won't let the scientists try... I'm not sure why. Are twins somehow unethical? Because it's pretty much the same thing. DNA isn't exactly something sacred.
I don't think two people having their own unique DNA is the issue so much as tampering with human creation, no matter how far removed we are from doing anything close to removing a gender from the equation or raising fetuses in jars.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20921 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »

I only have a few hang-ups about it.

1. We know our methods are imperfect. As such, we would be knowingly creating one of us with the knowlage that they would live a stunted lifespan. I'm not sure if we should condone that.

2. The potential of people seeing clones as not being "real" humans and treating them like second-class citizens or even sub-humans.

3. Related to reason two, the potiential of someone arguing that they own a clone if they make one, including human clones.

4. The easiest to resolve, ensuring that a human clone must have parents legally lined up before being created.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20922 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »

Dammit humanity, we should be embracing inhuman science.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20923 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:10 pm »

Screw cloning, I want my freaking jet pack.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20924 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »

There are scientists who would kill you for asking for a jetpack. They'll never live that one down.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 13325