Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1362 1363 [1364] 1365 1366 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15779050 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #20445 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:47 am »

So, while I was getting my hairs cut yesterday, I started chatting with the stylist about my classes (Anthropology), and the discussion soon went to Ancient Civilizations. Without any prompting, she asked me if I watched the History Channel, since there was this show called Ancient Aliens, and one of the guys on there was always so excited, and had the craziest hair...

...thus, the Double-Down's Guy has officially invaded my daily life. I think it's a sign.

We did have a good talk about the Olmec, the Mayan Calendar (her parents apparently had a copy hanging on the wall, which she used to try and read), and the cultural racism that first created the idea that "surely someone else must have come and instructed these primitive, Non-White, Non-European peoples how to build these architectural marvels, since they certainly couldn't have done it on their own."

Adventure mode is actually nearly unplayable now, as opposed to merely being somewhat unplayable. Fingers crossed for the next release. I really couldn't give half an ass about fort mode, sadly.

It's a total restructuring of Adventure Mode, and how populations/entities organize themselves. Settlements now have sprawl, so you'll find non-nuclear villages, etc. It's dull now, but Tarn's said it's going to get leaps and bounds better with the next release. Going to test it out before class today.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20446 on: September 15, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

I got told off on wikipedia for mentioning that Double Downs Man had amazing hair. It gave me something to chuckle at.

I thought it was constructive, anyway.

I have added a counterpoint.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20447 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:14 am »

The new DF has new biomes, hydrological features, and farming/outpost settlements. Rivers source in non-mountainous areas, lakes and pools form more readily, and civilized entities create swaths of urbanized/cultivated biomes, with small populated houses dotting them. On frontier settlements you're a lot more likely to find a young Recruit out to make a name for themselves, who'll join you much more readily than some of the "big name" professional soldiers in cities... and it's certainly better than relying on an adventuring band made of tavern Drunks.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20448 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:34 am »

and it's certainly better than relying on an adventuring band made of tavern Drunks.
Or starting a bunch of new characters who didn't allocate like 10 points and have them retire in the village.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20449 on: September 15, 2010, 11:45:29 am »

Wait, adventure mode is finally getting some work done? Yes! That's the part of DF that most interests me, I got bored of fort mode a long time ago.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20450 on: September 15, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »

I actually haven't played DF for almost three months now. I feel sad about that.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20451 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »

You posted in the wrong thread, then.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20452 on: September 15, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Just watched... yup.

OHAI, MOARK.

e- please, please get the reference somebody :[

Nanu... nanu?

It was Tommy Wiseau's The Room >_>

Best flash game I've played all year.

Don't click this if you could be doing something useful.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #20453 on: September 15, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »

Making a giant tower above a volcano. I plan to remove the floors around it and sink it once I'm done.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20454 on: September 15, 2010, 03:17:30 pm »

Yeah, in the end, I played Fortress Mode for the megaprojects.

Except now that seems too complicated for me.

But I know I'll get back into it. It's like a recurring phase in my life.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20455 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:38 pm »

That's funny, I hadn't played in months, and actually started getting sucked back into Fortress Mode the last few weeks.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20456 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »

I'm fixing my car, and soon it will work. Then I'll have the ability to drive myself to my current job on monday to make enough money to continue fixing my car.

I like waking up early and having something to do. The past few weeks hasn't had much work, so when I have work to do and a good sleep schedule to do it, I'm happy. I'm going to have to stay up all night the Wednesday after this and the day of Thursday to switch back to day shift.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20457 on: September 15, 2010, 04:33:54 pm »

I do enjoy it, every time I play, but after a while I can't bring myself to play it. I've never been very good with megaprojects.

Anyway. I don't know why it is but my daily life... It's difficult to explain. It smells better, and the wind feels better and overall everything seems so positive right now. This happens often. I think spring might have triggered it this time.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20458 on: September 15, 2010, 04:39:20 pm »

I do enjoy it, every time I play, but after a while I can't bring myself to play it. I've never been very good with megaprojects.

Anyway. I don't know why it is but my daily life... It's difficult to explain. It smells better, and the wind feels better and overall everything seems so positive right now. This happens often. I think spring might have triggered it this time.
Both New Zealand and Australia had a nice smell to it (in your winter time).
I find (not my city's area) to smell good, or more distinct. Personally, Florence, Italy, or Ireland smelled the best to me, with the Greek shore being a very close runner up.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20459 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »

The Chinese restaurant in Krakow I went to the other day, had "deserts" section in the english part of the menu.(these restaurants are notorious for bad translations)
In Tesco, a huge sign informed the customers of a promotion - "half price off parabolic rice". Must be good for making parables, I suppose.
(if you haven't guessed, that was "parboiled" in the English original)
Pages: 1 ... 1362 1363 [1364] 1365 1366 ... 13325