Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15775860 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #19965 on: September 12, 2010, 12:04:01 am »

Yeah... I have a bad habit of forgetting the real-world sources of our constructions, because when I think about the physical world too much I end up going "But how do I know that 2*3 is 6?  How do I prove this?  What is multiplication, anyway?"

It's so much easier when I just go "Okay, define 6 = (1 + 1)(1 + 1 + 1) and completely forget about physical quantities.  Multiplication is just a binary operation.  Nothing special."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:19 am »

Yeah... I have a bad habit of forgetting the real-world sources of our constructions, because when I think about the physical world too much I end up going "But how do I know that 2*3 is 6?  How do I prove this?  What is multiplication, anyway?"

It's so much easier when I just go "Okay, define 6 = (1 + 1)(1 + 1 + 1) and completely forget about physical quantities.  Multiplication is just a binary operation.  Nothing special."

o_0

I have some odd ways of thinking about math, but you've got me beat dude...

However, that second part does sort of make sense...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:53 am »

I often think about how word are defined, so much so that whenever i starting think in the vein i go "Fuck this" and stop thinking.

It is much easier.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:27 am »

Heh, I've been teaching my mind to do arithmetic faster by seeing geometric shapes instead of numbers.  The only problem with this is that I almost see 3 and 6 as the same thing--like if someone says "Get me 6 of those," sometimes I'll get 3.  You know... like

1 is a dot
2 is a line
3 is a triangle
4 is a square, or two parallel lines
5 is a pentagon
6 is two triangles stacked or a large triangle
7 is a heptagon
8 is a cube, or two squares stacked, or a diamond with the vertices removed
9 is three triangles stacked, or 9 dots in a square
10 is either two pentagons stacked or an even bigger triangle

and so on, and so forth.  The scary thing is that I'll often find myself doing computations before I've even noticed I'm doing them; I'll think "I want a rough division like this or that" and before I've had a chance to think about how to do it, the answer has already popped up, process-free.  It's very useful, but occasionally annoying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19969 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:48 am »

Spent all night playing Recettear, now watching new Bleach episode and then tomorrow new VENTURE BRO EPISODES YEAAAHHHH

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: September 12, 2010, 12:18:26 am »

Heh, I've been teaching my mind to do arithmetic faster by seeing geometric shapes instead of numbers.  The only problem with this is that I almost see 3 and 6 as the same thing--like if someone says "Get me 6 of those," sometimes I'll get 3.  You know... like

1 is a dot
2 is a line
3 is a triangle
4 is a square, or two parallel lines
5 is a pentagon
6 is two triangles stacked or a large triangle
7 is a heptagon
8 is a cube, or two squares stacked, or a diamond with the vertices removed
9 is three triangles stacked, or 9 dots in a square

and so on, and so forth.  The scary thing is that I'll often find myself doing computations before I've even noticed I'm doing them; I'll think "I want a rough division like this or that" and before I've had a chance to think about how to do it, the answer has already popped up, process-free.  It's very useful, but occasionally annoying.

Damn, you're like, some sort of math deity. That seems really, really abstract to me... I just sort of ask the little black boxes in my head what the answers to various math problems are and if they feel like it an answer comes out the other end. That thing with the shapes sounds really really clever though.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: September 12, 2010, 12:21:50 am »

1 is a dot
>snip<

how does the shape thing help? it seems like it'd be more confusing...
i do get the "step away from the numbers and conceptualize it as shapes etc.", but i've never really been consciously aware of what sort of shape each number is...

i've been known to do the "automatic math" thing too :) although i suspect not to the same degree as you

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: September 12, 2010, 12:31:53 am »

Thanks =)  The truth is, I often spend my time while I'm walking around coming up like little tricks like this--just mental shorthand to make some thought process or another faster.  I also record which images/"gestures"/sounds/tastes/general associations come up over and over again when I'm solving problems, so that I can sort of translate a problem into mental structures, translate the mental abstractions into other mental abstractions, manipulate them as desired, and then pop back out with an answer.

The end result is that I can solve problems and come up with insights that would floor most other people, but I can never explain how I got there in any sort of sensible way.  And, when thinking about how I feel in a given moment, if I'm moving anywhere beyond happy, sad, or angry, I end up with things like "tastes like carrot" or "feels like carrying a pumpkin" or "smells like walking on red cement in the summer at the age of eight past picnic tables."

I don't actually have synesthesia, but I spent about four years or so teaching my brain to pretend it had it, and now I use the resulting networks to my advantage.

how does the shape thing help? it seems like it'd be more confusing...

Because instead of saying:

I know six is two threes

I say

I know two triangles is two triangles.

It moves things from computation to identification.  I also have hand gestures to keep me on track when I'm doing long computations: swipe down for derivatives, pull back for multiplication, two hands together for a dot product, flipping the hand over to take the inverse, squeeze two fingers together when something cancels out, shove sideways when moving a term from one side of an equation to another.  I don't usually perform these hand gestures, but knowing which motion goes with whatever I'm supposed to be doing tends to make it a lot faster--because the motion encodes everything I know about the computation into a single idea, condensed and easily usable.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: September 12, 2010, 12:40:59 am »

Wanna know why I'm happy today?

I just came out of the closet.

Feels good man.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:21 am »

Hi five, man. It feels damn good.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:51 am »

Because instead of saying:

I know six is two threes

I say

I know two triangles is two triangles.

It moves things from computation to identification.  I also have hand gestures to keep me on track when I'm doing long computations: swipe down for derivatives, pull back for multiplication, two hands together for a dot product, flipping the hand over to take the inverse, squeeze two fingers together when something cancels out, shove sideways when moving a term from one side of an equation to another.  I don't usually perform these hand gestures, but knowing which motion goes with whatever I'm supposed to be doing tends to make it a lot faster--because the motion encodes everything I know about the computation into a single idea, condensed and easily usable.

That case makes sense, but most of the others don't (not to me anyway). Personally, when I see a number I tend to start pulling it into chunks (like 121 is 11^2, or 24 is 12 (aka 6*2) * 2 or 37 is 6^2 + 1 (prime i believe?)), then I can re-arrange the chunks in an equation into easily digestible pieces.

Quick example: in statistics class, had to sum {8,8,3,3,3}. i saw (8+8 = 16 = 4^2) + (3+3+3 = 3^2). of course, 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2 (most common example for Pythagorean theorem).

As for hands... the most interesting thing i do is occasional finger binary :)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:14 am »

Feels good man.
I'm happy for you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:25 am »

Feels good man.
Which closet?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: September 12, 2010, 12:48:16 am »

Feels good man.

Gay people are awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: September 12, 2010, 12:49:13 am »

Feels good man.

Gay people are awesome.
Whats your opinion of bisexuals?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 13325