Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777224 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #19950 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »

Okay, since we were doing our names a page or so back, I beseech Vector, oh Goddess of Numbers, what is the maximum value of zero?

Haha.

Zero is whatever you say it is; the only important characteristic you have is that 0 + x = x.  Zero's maximum value is not mathematical, but philosophical.  As a unique inhabitant of rings, fields, and abelian groups, its importance is profound.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19951 on: September 11, 2010, 09:56:54 pm »

I didn't understand the first half of that last sentence, but the rest of it makes me really happy that I chose this name based on Rule of Cool.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19952 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:25 pm »

But, then how can zero have any value other than...uh...0? I mean, the obvious response is that it cannot, but I don't want to assume anything when dealing with math. Besides, then the question would be unasked, so that doesn't make sense at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19953 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:41 pm »

Okay, since we were doing our names a page or so back, I beseech Vector, oh Goddess of Numbers, what is the maximum value of zero?
Zero is whatever you say it is; the only important characteristic you have is that 0 + x = x.  Zero's maximum value is not mathematical, but philosophical.  As a unique inhabitant of rings, fields, and abelian groups, its importance is profound.

"The nothingness I see, encircled by a line." - Some blind Arabian Mathematician, on the digit 0.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19954 on: September 11, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »

I feel like a dunce. I figured out how to get the last trinket. It involved an out-of-the-box level of thinking, and a rather suicidal maneuver. YAY I beat VVVVVV.

Now the super gravitron. Ugh, So far, I got the 5-second trophy.

7.10 is my best so far.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:09:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19955 on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »

Not good enough! To the sad corner with thee!!! Besides, you still have to beat No-Death Mode.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19956 on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:05 pm »

Not good enough! To the sad corner with thee!!! Besides, you still have to beat No-Death Mode.
You're kidding right? And to get Veni-Vidi-Vici on top of that? Why not dare me to drink a vat of arsenic while at it?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19957 on: September 11, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »

You're kidding right? And to get Veni-Vidi-Vici on top of that? Why not dare me to drink a vat of arsenic while at it?
Nope. The ultimate trophy is for beating no death mode, and I think there's another for getting all the coins in it. There are some changes so that you don't have to die to get that one coin.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19958 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if my name has any meaning... To Google!

Edit: Doesn't look like it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19959 on: September 11, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »

No meanings on Google, but someone stole one of my Custom Avatards for their Youtube channel.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19960 on: September 11, 2010, 11:01:57 pm »

Well, that's not cool.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19961 on: September 11, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »

But, then how can zero have any value other than...uh...0? I mean, the obvious response is that it cannot, but I don't want to assume anything when dealing with math. Besides, then the question would be unasked, so that doesn't make sense at all.

Philosophical value vs. numerical value, my friend.

Besides, zero is really defined as "that thing you add to other things to get the thing back."  Numbers are abstractions that behave in certain ways; the fact that you can count things with them is a happy coincidence.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19962 on: September 11, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

Well, that's not cool.
Cool or not, PlumpHelmetPunk/A Dwarven Smokeologist does exellent Let's Play's.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19963 on: September 11, 2010, 11:29:35 pm »

Besides, zero is really defined as "that thing you add to other things to get the thing back."  Numbers are abstractions that behave in certain ways; the fact that you can count things with them is a happy coincidence.
Brain=Broken

This always happens when I read your mathematcal thingies, and I'm pretty smart! And good in math (for not liking it, anyways...) D:
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19964 on: September 11, 2010, 11:56:46 pm »

Well, not really a coincidence, seeing as that's what the abstractions were originally defined for.

Amusingly, the church apparently didn't like the idea of the number zero. Some nonsense about it meaning the absence of anything, and therefore god.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 ... 13325