Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15831149 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #18765 on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:52 pm »

Yeah, exactly.  This is why I try to assume I'm a dude first in these things, because it just isn't much fun if I'm trying to be a female member of medieval European society.
Unless you're trying to lead some kind of mad rebellion, I guess.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18766 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:44 pm »

*Hugs Vector*

*Hugs Armok* =)

Unless you're trying to lead some kind of mad rebellion, I guess.

You have a good point, there.  Quick!  Must get into fighting condition on the off chance that I'm transported into medieval Europe with nothing but my wits and belligerent disposition!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18767 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »

You have a good point, there.  Quick!  Must get into fighting condition on the off chance that I'm transported into medieval Europe with nothing but my wits and belligerent disposition!

Claim God told you to conquer the English and how to do it.  Or if you land in England, God told you to conquer France.  Anywhere else, you might be in trouble.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18768 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »

Claim God told you to conquer the English and how to do it.  Or if you land in England, God told you to conquer France.  Anywhere else, you might be in trouble.
If they require proof show them how to make thermite.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18769 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:34 pm »

Some like it Hot is awesome.

I don't think i have ever seen a movie this old.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18770 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »

Quote from: History Book
Vector the Conqueror made good headway through Europe and parts of the middle East.  Then she famously arrived at Baghdad, stopped, and argued for 20 years with the local mathematicians about notation and the number zero.

"It was all worth it," she wrote.  "Though Al-Khwarizmi didn't have to be so hard-headed."

Not much aluminum lying around.  Not enough commonly available rust, either, I don't think.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18771 on: August 30, 2010, 02:19:56 pm »

Not much aluminum lying around.  Not enough commonly available rust, either, I don't think.

Alchemy is a good quick ticket to either burning at the stake, or fabulous riches before being poisoned.  No aluminum, but you could make gunpowder, and fuck history up for everybody.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18772 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »

I think it might be fun to try and teach students modern knowledge from the ground up, and try to avoid being declared a witch. Being church-friendly would be important. I'd probably start by ingratiating myself with the serfs, sharing practical knowledge they could use about climate, biology, genetics, food storage, mechanics, or medicine in exchange for food and shelter. If I helped around enough, I could probably start teaching more advanced principals, and take on students for a few hours a day.

In time, I'd hope to teach them about electricity, and how to make crude batteries out of alkaline and acidic materials, or a simple electrical generator out of copper wire and a windmill... from there, there would be all sorts of science to do. I wonder how far I could get without attracting the attention of higher-ups in politics or the church, or getting branded a witch... and if I played it safe with the church, and explained things in a comfortable enough way, if I could possibly make it big as an alchemist or philosopher.

Heh, and with enough electricity, you could extract aluminum from useless stones like bauxite, and make all the thermite you could ever need. Imagine leading the French in conquest of Europe, with trebuchets armed with jars of Thermite?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18773 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »

Quote from: History Book
Vector the Conqueror made good headway through Europe and parts of the middle East.  Then she famously arrived at Baghdad, stopped, and argued for 20 years with the local mathematicians about notation and the number zero.

"It was all worth it," she wrote.  "Though Al-Khwarizmi didn't have to be so hard-headed."
Heh, nice. Do whatever you can to cause paradoxes!

Ah, right. I'd forgotten how hard it is to refine aluminum. The stuff isn't rare, but it was still impossible to get until relatively recently... Still, if you're sent back in time you are obligated to try and copy The Connecticut Yankee in King Arther's Court as much as possible... though he was apparently a master of every sort of engineering or something.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18774 on: August 30, 2010, 02:34:16 pm »

Heh, and with enough electricity, you could extract aluminum from useless stones like bauxite, and make all the thermite you could ever need. Imagine leading the French in conquest of Europe, with trebuchets armed with jars of Thermite?
Add Kalashnikovs into the mix and you've got the perfect army. I wonder if one could make simple firearms carved out of wood. Wait.. Kentuckies are made of wood, aren't they? Or is the barrel metal? Hm...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18775 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:24 pm »

Add Kalashnikovs into the mix and you've got the perfect army. I wonder if one could make simple firearms carved out of wood. Wait.. Kentuckies are made of wood, aren't they? Or is the barrel metal? Hm...

Cigarette guns.  The Filipinos were famous for using these rifles that were essentially just enclosed pipes, like an old fashioned cannon.  You stuff your powder and shot down the end, aim it with your shoulder, and touch a burning cigarette to the fuse-hole.  It's just a metal pipe on a wooden stock, so any medieval craftsman could make one.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18776 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »

Cigarette guns.  The Filipinos were famous for using these rifles that were essentially just enclosed pipes, like an old fashioned cannon.  You stuff your powder and shot down the end, aim it with your shoulder, and touch a burning cigarette to the fuse-hole.  It's just a metal pipe on a wooden stock, so any medieval craftsman could make one.
You could also use those old wheellock and flintlock methods, but can you make a gun if a wooden barrel without losing some fingers after firing it?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18777 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »

Behold, wooden cannons. Rejoice in your alternate history fantasies!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18778 on: August 30, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »

Two words: Steam power.

Send forth thy knights on their steam-powered iron horses!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18779 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »

Kittykiss and throatscratch.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 13326