Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15833165 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #18690 on: August 29, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »

If it makes you happy to waste your life on a computer, then it is a life well wasted.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18691 on: August 29, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »

If it makes you happy to waste your life on a computer, then it is a life well wasted.
Huzzah to that my friend, huzzah!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: August 29, 2010, 11:17:14 pm »

Huzzah to that my friend, huzzah!
Agreed.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18693 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:28 pm »

Unless you literally waste your life. Like play it to death.

You need to eat, drink and pee, so that you can live to play more computer.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18694 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:57 pm »

I'm going to cut myself off from computers and video games eventually, at least for a time.  I'll finally have nothing to do but write a novel.

Anyway, today...  I did nothing.  I was happy.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18695 on: August 29, 2010, 11:38:42 pm »

You need to eat, drink and pee, so that you can live to play more computer.
You forgot shatting. It's quite important you know. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18696 on: August 29, 2010, 11:41:55 pm »

I'd probably have to subscribe, even though I'm a terrible conversationalist.

Shit, What's the fee?

No fee =)  Just won't give my address out to anyone I'm not reasonably familiar with online.

I wonder sometimes, if using computers and the internet like I do is making me a less complete/effective person. I know I spend a good chunk of my days playing video games, chatting online, and watching silly videos... but I also look up a great deal of interesting information, write and read narratives, and keep updated with what's going on in the world with computers too. At the very least, it'd be an interesting experiment, to not use computers for a month or two, and I know of others who plan to do the same. I might try it at some point, but once I graduate I'm going to be at sea without technology for several months at a time... at least until I start Grad school. I'll get plenty of chances to check then, I bet.

To be honest, I want to learn how to live without relying on electronics.  I have this recurrent fear that I'm going to end up in the wilderness with nothing but a knife (or perhaps not even that) and ... well, simply not know what to do.  Or maybe mutant zombie apocalypses, or WWIII, or an earthquake, or whatever.  I think it's important to be able to survive, nice modern contrivances or no.  It's also a very interesting thought problem, as one extends the "time of survival without x amount of infrastructure" and considers the possibility of rebuilding society from the ground up.

I think the internet can be extraordinarily useful, but when I look at things realistically, most of my time spent on the computer is fairly wasteful and doesn't even make me all that happy.  It's easy, and it's fun, and I have been learning a lot--but soon enough, I'm going to be at a university filled with millions of fantastic books and tens of thousands of interesting people.  Do I really want to take my crutch along with me, leaning on it rather than forcing myself out of my comfort zone?  Not really.

Besides, I need time to learn how to maintain my typewriter, darn my socks, and sew myself clothing.  I'm also hoping to learn how to build furniture.  Somewhere along the line, I realized I'd rather own less and make it myself, so that all the decisions in the process are really mine.  It's nice to polish one's shoes up and oil them when they look worn, rather than closeting them when they become "unpresentable" in fine society.  Thinking about all this stuff encourages one to buy things that are made to last...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18697 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:43 pm »

Have you read the Hatchet series, by Gary Paulsen?

It's a short book, and if when you get through the storyline, which is still pretty damn entertaining, you can learn a lot.

There. Reason #1 for internet-
Helping you stay alive if you crash in the wilderness.

Help me out, guys.

Edit: I'm a higher up in a local post office. I OWN the addresses. All of them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:54:23 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: August 29, 2010, 11:55:29 pm »

Have you read the Hatchet series, by Gary Paulsen?

It's a short book, and if when you get through the storyline, which is still pretty damn entertaining, you can learn a lot.

Read it, as well as the books by Jean Craighead George.  Also the books around Julie of the Wolves, which would be great if I were an Eskimo, but... I'm not  ::)

Seriously, guys, I'm not on the verge of leaving--and if/when I leave, it probably won't be permanently.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:34 pm »

Then what's your worry? Move out to the country. You learn so many useful non-educational skills there.
Plus in today's modern society- The outback (Translation: Deep South (Guffaw)) still has internet.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:22 am »

Awsome weekend for me, Renaissance Faire workshops (ie stuff for people who work at it to practice/set up everything) started this weekend. Can't wait for the actual season to start up. If anyone mayhaps would like to come the information is here. Sept 18-Oct 17, Casa de Fruita Hollister, CA. Its a bit pricey but opening weekend is 2 for 1 for tickets and kids under 12 are free for the whole season.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:34 am »

To be honest, I want to learn how to live without relying on electronics.  I have this recurrent fear that I'm going to end up in the wilderness with nothing but a knife (or perhaps not even that) and ... well, simply not know what to do.  Or maybe mutant zombie apocalypses, or WWIII, or an earthquake, or whatever.  I think it's important to be able to survive, nice modern contrivances or no.  It's also a very interesting thought problem, as one extends the "time of survival without x amount of infrastructure" and considers the possibility of rebuilding society from the ground up.

This is one of my favorite thought experiments... and probably a big reason I hunt for old copies of the Foxfire anthologies, and books on how world cultures first tamed the different climate zones of Earth (Civilizations, by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto is a great book on this). Most people, myself included, don't know know the first thing about agricultural and industrial practices that are necessary for civilizations to exist... and if our current infrastructure or electronic data was lost after some disaster, what would we do? As we move more and more of our knowledge to electronic forms, a series of surgical EMP strikes on major servers and data storage locations could destroy huge chunks of historical and scientific record... it'd be like the destruction of the Library of Alexandria all over again.

I guess it just feels weird when I think about how dissociated we are, as individuals, from all the things we need in order to survive. Most people don't know what wild plants are edible, how to hunt and fish for food, how to start a fire, how to grow and fertilize crops, how to make a shelter or tools, or any of that... much less how to smelt metal, set a fractured bone, or build a wagon without electricity or industrial tools.

But yeah, that thought experiment, and "How could I survive and find success if I were sent to X historical period?" are two of my favorites. I'd like to think I could make a decent minstrel, storyteller, alchemist, or physician, so long as I could speak the language.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18702 on: August 30, 2010, 12:32:56 am »

Tropic Thunder was better than expected.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: August 30, 2010, 12:35:49 am »

I always wanted to be a General in roman times.

But then I'd intersect that dream with the one of me being a General in roman times In charge of a crack troop of Romano-British soldiers, A team that combine stealth and unbridled savagery to create havok to countries, and slip away undetected.

Failing that- I'd be a potter. Potters are cool, if they're roman.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18704 on: August 30, 2010, 12:38:48 am »

It's far better to assume you wouldn't be able to speak the language, and people would treat you accordingly. Even if you had good (well studied and/or practiced) medical, engineering, and chemical knowledge, you would probably need to do hard labor for a several months at any time or location without an industrial revolution. First just to feed yourself, then so you could get chances to demonstrate your knowledge (which would have degraded by then).

In which case, I'm going to post in purple.
More to annoy anybody using Darkling than anything else.
Which unfortunately includes me.

In hindsight, that's a horrible idea...
Quote from: Skins
"In purple ink."
"We like purple. Yes."
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 13326