Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15791993 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #18000 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »

Upward palm under the nose, or Muay Thai clinch knee?

Palm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18001 on: August 24, 2010, 08:23:29 pm »

To drive someone's nose into their brain? Backfist would be very awkward to use at an upward angle. You have to drive the cartilage in the bridge of the nose up and back into the skull for the whole thing to work. Backfist is fine if you're just trying to break the nose, but if you're looking to do lethal damage, you need to use it on either the temple or the jugular, not the nose.

And don't tell me that you think the spinning backfist is even remotely useful. Jabs and palm strikes do way more damage with much greater speed per strike. :P

You talk about this like you think you've done it before.  I'm sorry, but watching some Bruce Lee movies will not let you snap necks and kill fast with bear hands.

Also, what the Hell is a "backfist"?  Whatever happened to just hitting a guy in the eyesocket with your knuckles?  If you want to kill him, you knock him down and stomp on the his throat a few times.

I am a Nidan (Second Degree Black Belt) in Koga-Ryu Ninjutsu as trained by Ryoji Odatawa. Three years of Muay Thai, two years of Savate/Kickboxing, a year of Kendo and Iaido (sword styles), a year in Kung Fu (mostly tiger style) and dabbling in Jiu-jutsu, Judo, Aikido, Atemi and have been a medal winning wrestler. I have trained four Army Rangers for Level Five combatives. I have participated in 37 tournaments, and officiated three. I teach Ninjutsu, Muay Thai and Savate to whomever approaches me, so long as they can afford gear and a few bucks for my time. I've done fight clubs for over a decade, and have participated in 13 cage fighting events, although I got out of them all a little bit before I got married.

Maybe I'm qualified to talk about fighting?

Edit: Also, a Backfist would require you to swing your fore (usually left) hand in a backhand motion with a clenched fist, striking your opponent with your knuckles and the back of your hand, usually aimed at the jawline or throat.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:25:10 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18002 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:29 pm »

That is all quite impressive.  But unless you've actually driven cartilage into a guy's brain, no you are not qualified to say how well it would work or how easy it would be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18003 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:36 pm »

Have you done it? I've never been in a situation where I've needed to kill someone. You learn these things in case you have to use them, but hope that you never do. Kind of the same reason people carry a gun. They are the last resort in desperate times.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18004 on: August 24, 2010, 08:29:19 pm »

To drive someone's nose into their brain? Backfist would be very awkward to use at an upward angle. You have to drive the cartilage in the bridge of the nose up and back into the skull for the whole thing to work. Backfist is fine if you're just trying to break the nose, but if you're looking to do lethal damage, you need to use it on either the temple or the jugular, not the nose.

And don't tell me that you think the spinning backfist is even remotely useful. Jabs and palm strikes do way more damage with much greater speed per strike. :P

You talk about this like you think you've done it before.  I'm sorry, but watching some Bruce Lee movies will not let you snap necks and kill fast with bear hands.

Also, what the Hell is a "backfist"?  Whatever happened to just hitting a guy in the eyesocket with your knuckles?  If you want to kill him, you knock him down and stomp on the his throat a few times.

I am a Nidan (Second Degree Black Belt) in Koga-Ryu Ninjutsu as trained by Ryoji Odatawa. Three years of Muay Thai, two years of Savate/Kickboxing, a year of Kendo and Iaido (sword styles), a year in Kung Fu (mostly tiger style) and dabbling in Jiu-jutsu, Judo, Aikido, Atemi and have been a medal winning wrestler. I have trained four Army Rangers for Level Five combatives. I have participated in 37 tournaments, and officiated three. I teach Ninjutsu, Muay Thai and Savate to whomever approaches me, so long as they can afford gear and a few bucks for my time. I've done fight clubs for over a decade, and have participated in 13 cage fighting events, although I got out of them all a little bit before I got married.

Edit: Also, a Backfist would require you to swing your fore (usually left) hand in a backhand motion with a clenched fist, striking your opponent with your knuckles and the back of your hand, usually aimed at the jawline or throat.

Yeah, that's plenty qualified compared to a guy with a red and black belt (dragon? I've heard twenty damn names for it) in taekwondo.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18005 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:32 pm »

Have you done it? I've never been in a situation where I've needed to kill someone. You learn these things in case you have to use them, but hope that you never do. Kind of the same reason people carry a gun. They are the last resort in desperate times.

That's exactly my point.  I own a couple guns, and I'd like to think I'm pretty qualified with them.  Could I kill a guy with one?  Probably.  But I never have, so I don't go around shooting my mouth off about how easy it would be.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18006 on: August 24, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »

In most situations, having a gun would automatically make you the winner, even if you don't use it. Hell, you'd most likely just have to pull it out to send a thief or such running. There are plenty of not-gun owning people to rob.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18007 on: August 24, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »

That's exactly my point.  I own a couple guns, and I'd like to think I'm pretty qualified with them.  Could I kill a guy with one?  Probably.  But I never have, so I don't go around shooting my mouth off about how easy it would be.

When did I say it was easy? It's something that's possible to do, but would require an immensely accurate and powerful blow. I have fended off a few attackers in my time (I used to live in Syracuse, NY,) and it has never been easy. The first time I broke someone's arm, I threw up for an hour straight, even though I was just defending myself reflexively. Fighting is not easy, nor is it particularly fun. Sparring and competition is fun, but having to defend yourself from someone who is trying to kill you is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18008 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:56 pm »

Well, fair enough if you're willing to caveat that.  It's just than when somebody drops a discourse like this -

- with such comfortable enthusiasm, what I hear is, "I could totally do this, and it would be awesome, you guys have no idea."  I dunno, it just comes off as Internet-toughguy bragging, but I'll take you at your word.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18009 on: August 24, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »

Just use a goddamn axe. Or maybe a safe cutter...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18010 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »

I apologize for coming across as crass. I have many young students, and a lot of the time, to get them interested in technique like footwork and hand placement, I show off. Then I say, "Hey, if you wanna do that cool thing I just did, you have to learn this first." I'm very excited about Martial Arts of all kinds, and always have been. Thus, probably, the enthusiasm. Also, I've been in it for over a decade and teaching for several years. Thus, I'm comfortable discussing grisly things in a somewhat lighthearted manner. Hearing Rangers talk like that about their weapons is disturbing, but they really seem to enjoy it, so I kinda see where you're coming from.

Again, I apologize for my tone.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18011 on: August 24, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18012 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »

You are a monster
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18013 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:20 pm »

eh....

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #18014 on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »

Acquiring diabetes improves my mood, apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 ... 13325