Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778821 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #12930 on: July 10, 2010, 12:46:04 am »

Well, I did a bit of sorting through the freelancing site, and it looks like it's quite bountiful. However, in both jobs available and willing employers. I may have to apply to several at a time to be safe. The good news, the hours:rate ratio is still damn better than my current job.

For starters, if my minimum income in a week is equal or better than what I earn bi-weekly at my current job, I think I found my calling/niche. Of course, considering myself a bit of a newbie to the place, I'll start with a few simple ones before I go into the more serious jobs. Gotta adjust, but what the hell? Some requests I can do in a heartbeat (and in work time) with quality results, and others would require some dedication and commitment. However, they do look worth either the time or patience. I love that I can find work that is flexible enough that I don't need to over-work myself; but still challenging enough to gain access to, and accomplish. All with a reasonable amount of income in the long-run. And add to it, if I do well enough, quick referrals, which improve my odds over time, and can make my asking rate (if I raise it) make more sense.

I think I'm going to enjoy freelancing. Working with people non-stop with my past jobs have definitely worked up my temperance and bravery in dealing with, and negotiating with people. Might as well put it to use in a way that benefits me most.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:53:18 am by Itnetlolor »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: July 10, 2010, 12:52:28 am »

I read far too many webcomics... In my mind "freelance" = "freelance bum" = "mad science"
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12932 on: July 10, 2010, 12:57:06 am »

I read far too many webcomics... In my mind "freelance" = "freelance bum" = "mad science"
Not too far from how I am, to tell the truth.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: July 10, 2010, 01:01:43 am »

I'm doing some freelance work right now. Good on ya. Making sure you've got a constant workflow is a bit tricky, but I find it's really liberating.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25:31 am »

Cthulhu do you like Adventure Time?  I'm curious.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12935 on: July 10, 2010, 01:29:36 am »

No kidding. My tolerance for my job is at it's very last fiber. But until I get myself a steady enough workflow (and enough numbers crammed to see if I would need a backup job at all), I'm going to stick around my workplace for a few more weeks (and use up my paid vacation days while I have them).

I may not like or be able to tolerate it, but I'm essentially giving myself until the end of the month to make my choice. Hopefully, it'll be an easy one. From how things look, it shouldn't be too bad.

Basically, here's how my plan looks:
I'll use up my remaining weeks this month getting familiar with freelancing, and getting some of that work done; by the end of the month, the job my sisters hired me for should be finished (and I should be seeing commission coming in within the next few weeks/months after things get produced and distributed), and my vacation days will be spent hanging out and making use of what benefits I earned from my job. And any spare free time from that will continue getting the freelancing gears rolling. At least, while I'm feeling all kinds of productive this month, that's my goal.

By mid-next month, I hopefully will no longer be working there; or under ideal circumstances, earlier.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: July 10, 2010, 01:32:13 am »

Well, at my job i spent half the time lying down on a exposed foundation girder, and i still sold lots of stuff.

I think Winnipeg lost.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: July 10, 2010, 01:39:21 am »

One of my very good friends just got married today. I'm really happy for them too, and got them a bunch of simple strategic and fun games for a wedding gift; figured it's a good way to vent the inevitable frustrations, and eventually to start their family off right with plenty of fun, strategic, and family-accessible boardgames and such.

Afterward, I saw a terrible Low-Budget "Sherlock Holmes" Movie with friends who are in town that included dinosaurs, steam-powered automata, and Moriarty as some kind of Victorian-Era Ironman. Also also got to teach my roommate a bit of music theory, since he's taken an interest in songwriting as of late. I might well finish my playthrough of Cave Story trying to get the best ending (never beat it the hard way) tonight, and am making good headway on an Adventure/Quest Game which I'll be running pretty darned soon, if all goes well.

Good times. :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:41:47 am by Solifuge »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: July 10, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

I noticed an active ingredient in Peptobismol is bismuth. Now I'm curious as to why it's there, and why dwarves can't chew on metal rocks to counter-act cave adaption nausea.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: July 10, 2010, 02:58:39 am »

If you don't mind my asking, Itnetlolor, just what are you doing freelance?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: July 10, 2010, 04:19:25 pm »

Bay12 is back up! Yay!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

ein

• Bay Watcher