Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15867372 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #8955 on: May 06, 2010, 05:15:43 am »

I don't know, maybe it's worse. Maybe I'm resigning myself to years and years of stressful, backbreaking work just to pay off half my fee.

But we'll see. I haven't gotten that far yet. We will see.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: May 06, 2010, 05:23:03 am »

Let me give an idea of what it costs to go to a state-funded college in one of the wealthier states in America.

$300-$400 per credit hour - average cost of each class is $1000
120 credit hours or about 40 classes for a bachelors degree.
$400 for renewed registration each semester
$100-$400 dollars for textbooks each semester (if you're really lucky, you can get about 10% back in refund, if you're really lucky)
$130 a year for parking (but being England, transportation is a different issue)
And none of that covers where and how you're living in the process.

That's the kind of bill I'm looking at.  My funding finally ran out with six classes to go, and I'm scrambling to put together $7000 by August.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:46 am »

I know. This is stupid, I don't understand what it's like to live on my own, I barely make any money.

But this opportunity is presenting itself to me, and it's an enormous one. Right now, as of this moment, I want to take it because I'll never forgive myself if I let it slip by.

This may not be the case in two years. I might just not try at all. But I'm dead certain I'll always feel bad if I let this pass without at least trying for it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: May 06, 2010, 05:32:26 am »

That's the way to look at it.  You might not make it.  You might not be able to afford it.  But that's nowhere near as bad as never trying.

Believe in us who believe in you Jack.  Take that ancient grandfather clause allowance and be somebody!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: May 06, 2010, 06:45:49 am »

Hey Jackrabbit, nice one on choosing to go to Cambridge. The UK's a lot friendlier when it comes to higher education, course costs are substantially less than what Aquizzar was quoting.

If you really want cheap/amazing courses try St. Andrews (best university in Scotland + I believe foreign students get a fucktonne of bursaries.)

I really think I'm lucky to live in Scotland, theres a government body called SAAS, Students award agency for Scotland, that pretty much pays for every single scottish kid's education at university level. They also streamlined loans, made them a lot easier to get annnnd they don't cost that much.

Myself, I'm getting my tutition fee's paid for me, which comes to £1825 a year, which is now standard for all courses in Scotland. I didn't take out any bursaries this year, cause I felt i didn't need them. But come this september I'll be getting about £350 a month loan wise, and I only have to pay back around £250 of that, the rest is in bursary form.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about that right to entry because your uncle came here. I know if one of your parents is British then I think you can get a British passport with no real trouble.

Also, I was just checking. Seems if you move to the UK and live in Scotland and get the "Settled" status then you can get free education here... hurm.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:50:28 am by Nilocy »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: May 06, 2010, 06:49:52 am »

Hey Jackrabbit, nice one on choosing to go to Cambridge. The UK's a lot friendlier when it comes to higher education, course costs are substantially less than what Aquizzar.

Looks like you accidentally Aqizzar.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: May 06, 2010, 06:51:40 am »

Oh, no, I definetly have a British passport. It's upstairs. I plan to backpack around Europe then turn up on my uncle's doorstep with a map to the local pubs and a hopeful expression.

I'm not 100% certain about right of entry either, by the way, but I can certainly work to get the grades to get in regardless.

Incidentally, my mother tells stories of how she was appalled at how much uni cost her. Which was, $300 per semester and the government payed the rest.

A simpler time.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: May 06, 2010, 07:04:01 am »

One elf, who has maybe had a little too much strawberry wine, steps forward, pointing to a small child, "I say we just get rid of any elf who's not a trained soldier, and instead, replace them with forty armless children, skilled in the ancient art of biting!" The other elves give him a strange look as he continues, "What's sharper than the teeth of an elven child?! Nothing! Anything that dares to stand in our way will be torn to pieces!"

The inebriated elf chuckles loudly, repeating his suggestion to Amala.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fucking awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: May 06, 2010, 07:13:05 am »

Hey Jackrabbit, nice one on choosing to go to Cambridge. The UK's a lot friendlier when it comes to higher education, course costs are substantially less than what Aquizzar.

Looks like you accidentally Aqizzar.

Probablly should have added a sic.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB8AjhnLYkw this made me really happy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:17:28 am by Nilocy »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: May 06, 2010, 10:05:56 am »

Just get a room already you two. God, I have to wash down the steam chat windows with a hose.
It makes me sad I cant read that log...

Quote from: WorkerDrone link=topic=42204.msg1227538#msg1227538   date=1273127560
Do me a favor, all of you be happy for a god damn   day.

Kind words from me will only help one specific person here,   so start hugging shit.

Not me.

Don't you dare hug me.
*Hugs!* ^_^

Quote from: Jackrabbit link=topic=42204.msg1227598#msg1227598   date=1273129678
Okay, I'm not sure how this works, but even thinking   about it gives me a shiver.

I have a British passport, and my   Uncle went to Cambridge. From what I've heard from him, this gives me   automatic right of entry (legacy or... something, I don't know). I don't   know if that's still how it works or if this is some prank, but Cambridge.

I   am going. To study. At Cambridge.

And even if I don't   have automatic right of entry, I've still got a British passport. I'm   going to work to get into that place, no matter what it takes.
*brofists*
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:35 am »

I have a student loan from the guv'mint, and am going to a community college to start off.  It's really cheap, bro.  I usually get $1000+ in checks mailed back to me after the tuition gets paid.  I should probably mail those back, actually.
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: May 06, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

Made some awsome homemade pizza.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:59 am »

It's my birthday!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:44 am »

Happy birthday! If you aren't getting a cake, demand one... it's your right as a citizen!

I'm self-teaching Excel. and not only is it surprisingly easy to code conditional statements and whatnot (and rather elegant too), I have suddenly become invaluable to my managers at work. Damn, if I'd known job security was this easy, I'd have done this months ago!

I also might get transferred into IT with all the nerds if I keep doing this well! Ohoho!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8969 on: May 06, 2010, 11:10:23 am »

Happy Birthday.

And yes, Excel is pretty awesome for many different things. I made several programs that are a great help for me, either with certain games, or even keeping track of my income/funds. Hell, I even have a few random programs I made completely out of boredom. One of them being a super coin-tosser which not only factors in heads or tails, but also the value of each one total, and determines by several factors which one is dominant. For example, you toss 25 pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters; you have the amount of heads and tails each, then factor in the amount of them per side, multiply them by value, calculate the sum, and calculate the sum of the value sum and total flipped. Over 7 factors, I can determine the real winner. The quarters are total gamebreakers, but pennies have surprisingly turned the tables at times by contributing to the overall total flips, which despite having much value, you just lost because the pennies picked up those last few points. It's kinda oddball, but rather interesting. BTW, the amount of each coin and their value are variable, so you can mess with it all different ways. The only shame is, it's only designed as far as being a bunch of #d2s with value multipliers. Other programs I made also include a car age calculator (in human years) according to how old the car really is (by model year), and it's odometer value (age by miles). It's kinda interesting seeing the age progress. Oh, and it's age by odometer is also based on the 3000-mile/oil change factor. I was bored when I made that.

One elf, who has maybe had a little too much strawberry wine, steps forward, pointing to a small child, "I say we just get rid of any elf who's not a trained soldier, and instead, replace them with forty armless children, skilled in the ancient art of biting!" The other elves give him a strange look as he continues, "What's sharper than the teeth of an elven child?! Nothing! Anything that dares to stand in our way will be torn to pieces!"

The inebriated elf chuckles loudly, repeating his suggestion to Amala.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fucking awesome.
The Story of Young Cacame. (and why he hates his own kind)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:47:48 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 13326