Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15875130 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #8670 on: April 30, 2010, 05:47:54 pm »

LACK OF PUNCTUATION MAKES ME MAD.

Yeah, Friday is awesomesauce.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:40 pm »

It's Saturday over here.

Friday kicked ass though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »

No I'm going to win.

I have a different piece of advice, actually.  I was like you.  4.3 GPA average, 2300 on SATs, highest rank of AP scholar due to some 12-14 tests or something and 5's on all but two of them (which netted me 4's).  Same bullheaded "I can do anything and everything!" attitude, and so on.  This was all at one of the top-ranked high schools in the US, which people from all over the world called and asked how they could enroll their kids.  I also ended up getting some large chunk of the school awards at the end of the year, and placed in the (low) top 10 of the national French competition three years in a row.

I speak 3 languages well and have studied some 5, play two musical instruments (one well enough that I was accepted into a professional-level youth symphony), did hundreds of hours of community service in the form of tutoring.  I taught Japanese exchange students history in their native language, as well as children with all kinds of learning disabilities.  I also revived and headed the Japanese Culture Club, and gave lectures on culture and literary analysis twice per week.

I did not get into Harvard, Princeton, or Brown--the only Ivy I managed was Cornell.  Do not be disappointed if you do not make it into the school of your dreams.  Do not be disappointed if they don't think you deserve their money, because you didn't have quite enough merit; do not be disappointed if they don't deem your story sad enough.  You have not lost at all if you don't quite make the bar you were aiming for.  There will be other challenges and other victories to fight for, other competitors, other dreams to follow.  Don't let one "failure" taint you.

I realize I'm making an assumption as to which schools you want to attend, but every other time I've heard "highest colleges" it meant the Ivies.  Please also note that I've toured in all those places and, by and large, the people attending/touring were not the sort of folks I'd want to study with.  Let's just say that culture can often be more important than prestige.

My other piece of advice is this: don't go all-out on academic subjects at first--you'll be able to pick those up easily.  Make friends and learn how to cope, because that's something you seem to need to learn (based on your reports of extreme anxiety--trust me, an Ivy-level university will make that a lot worse) and it's at least as important in the long run.  Don't lock yourself in your room and never come out, like I did.  Don't get discouraged by a jerkass roommate and hallmates, either, or by the occasional uncaring professor.  First and foremost, you've got to realize that you have far, far more control over your circumstances than you used to--and then you've got to figure out how to navigate your new world.

I wish you the best of luck.  Don't be like me.

NO NEED TO WORRY YOU'LL SEE

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: April 30, 2010, 07:04:34 pm »

CAPS LOCK MAKES IT TRUE!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: April 30, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

IN THAT CASE I'M THE EMPEROR. BOW DOWN.

In more serious news, I was talking with some of my teachers that I know I'll have next year, amongst them my AP history dude. We were chatting about stuff and he was quizzing me a bit as we went, and then at the end he was all "From what I've seen talking to you and the reports I've seen, I'm thinking you will have an easy time of this class". It was just a cool compliment. Also I'm pumped because I found out it has a 600 weighting so if I get a C I'm pulling the equivalent to an A. If I actually get an A, I can boost my GPA so far over the 3.7 I've been holding.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: April 30, 2010, 07:44:54 pm »

I just pissed off Phantom. In his own game! Whoops! ;D
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »

I just pissed off Phantom. In his own game! Whoops! ;D

"I'm hijacking this thread here!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »

Yeah, I got carried away. Ack.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
NO I AM THE BEST YOU CANNOT BEAT ME.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »

I WIN

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

I WIN
YOU HAVEN'T WON YET. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: April 30, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

I was away for three days and this thread inflated by 40 pages. Mein gott.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: April 30, 2010, 11:20:47 pm »

Susmariosep! What the fuck happened here?

Also, macaroons.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »

Also, labor day makes me happy, because it means monday's a holiday.

@Acanthus: C'mon, you know stronger swears than that. ;)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: May 01, 2010, 12:57:14 am »

Mechwarrior 4 has been released for free! Nostalgia, here I come.

My brother and I used to play the hell out of this game when we were 10 and 12. We were never able to save up enough for a joystick so we went keyboard+mouse. This is the game that introduced me to the concept of internet games, not to mention clans, strategy, and combat simulations.

Fuck yeah!
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 13326