Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15876773 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Mew! :3
« Reply #6510 on: March 09, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »

Things that made me unhappy today:
Someone dissed mah physics, and by proxy Steven Hawking, Carl Sagan, Albert Einstein, Issaic Newton (he was a Physicist too <.<), and all the other ghosts of Physics past, present, and future. May they have mercy on your mortal quarks.

Oh god... you're one of those people, aren't you.  It's like there's something terminally wrong with most physics people that makes them shout "MATHEMATICS IS EASY AND STUPID" from the rooftops at any available opportunity.  Seriously, what is with those people (possibly/likely not you, upon greater reflection)?  I just don't get it.  I may generally dislike physics and anything related to it, but I don't pretend that it's easy.  It's generally not rigorous (at all, though the theories of Kepler, Gauss, Riemann, and Newton are well-developed) and most of the mathematical tools built up for it are extremely boring and inelegant, but part of that is just the way physics is (i.e. not mathematics) and the other part is personal opinion.

I mean, let's think about this.  Physics is useful because it hones our internal intuitions.  There's a good reason why Liebniz's product rule was incorrect, whereas Newton's was right--Newton had a better sense of such quantities and areas and so on as a physics person than did Liebniz.  Physics is good <3  What I don't understand is why physicists seem to look at mathematics as nothing but a tool, which they bend, manipulate, and abuse for their pleasure (... Feynman integral, anyone?) to match their measurements and then proceed to denigrate those noble souls who come sweeping up after and say "Yes, your screwy computations work.  Can I get back to my fruitless attack on Hilbert's problems now?"

People disbelieved Einstein's theories because they were too mathematical.  What the HELL.  I've read the popularization of his work and didn't understand it at all, but I seem to remember there being almost nothing but a fairly basic (but still ugly) coordinate transformation in there, as far as things mathematical go.  Come on, people.  You can't get afraid of a couple square roots and summations.

Don't even get me started on the various unification theories/string theory/the attempts to shove string theory off as something belonging to mathematicians, because it doesn't pass muster as anything but a special case.

As my favorite professor says:

Quote from: Professor Poland is crazy
Physicists are the most optimistic people in the world.  They are never right.  They are always wrong--but they are not trying to be right!  They are just trying to be less wrong than before.

</rantventrant>

On a tangentially related note, busy work has always bothered me. Some people "learn" by reasonless repetition, but then that's only memorizing (and not necessarily integrating) the information. Without critical, theoretical thinking, you've lost sight of the purpose of scientific tools like math, and of reason itself.

That's the thing, however: sometimes you need to do "busy work" to train your intuitions.  You have to get a basic sense of the rules--what can and cannot be done--and that is only effected by inculcation.  I've never been able to get myself immersed in a system without a lot of boring and dry work to make the definitions natural and fluid.

The other problem is that "trivial" is relative.  In the case of my metric differential geometry work, "trivial" means "I've learned that I only really need to do one of three things: 1. think about angles 2. take an inner product or 3. take a derivative."  This must be learned, however, and it is generally learned by reading and writing a lot of proofs--which is, in many ways, busy work once you're learned the first few tiers of tricks.

Then, if you figure out a problem yourself, you'll sure-fire have to use that method over and over and over again... there's something I call the "turn the blocks around" type of proof (I know, it doesn't really mean anything.  It's mostly a mental image more than anything else) and it applies to analysis, abstract algebra, set theory, theory of uniformities, manipulations of filters, and so on.  It's a trick, and once you've learned it/discovered it, you'll have to apply it over and over and over again.  Maybe you'll have to be a bit clever in its application, but once you've found it the first time it's never gone and the further uses are just repetition of what is already known to get fountains of easy results.

Well, anyway.  Enough of that... I'd probably better get back to work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: March 09, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

Not as cool as Beves.  (the pokemon quarterback).

Shhh, let me revel in my moment of being cool before I remember I'm a math nerd posting on a forum for an ASCII game in the engineering library because I don't like geometry.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. We have our own standards of cool, and they are far superior to any other standards! And we can burn things with magma, how many non-nerds can do that?!

What's metric differential geometry anyway? I've never heard of it.(of course, I'm only a freshman, but still)[/geeky curiosity]

Oh god... you're one of those people, aren't you.  It's like there's something terminally wrong with most physics people that makes them shout "MATHEMATICS IS EASY AND STUPID" from the rooftops at any available opportunity.
The response to people like this: http://xkcd.com/435/
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: March 09, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »

What's metric differential geometry anyway? I've never heard of it.(of course, I'm only a freshman, but still)[/geeky curiosity]

[...]

The response to people like this: http://xkcd.com/435/

Metric Differential Geometry is basically the study of curves in three-space and on surfaces.  It's pretty useful for physics (I guess... ?  It was developed by Gauss and Riemann, after all), but the theory isn't particularly elegant or interesting.  The professor literally told us we should take another class on the first day, rather than waste our time on his course.

As far as the comic goes, I actually have that on my dorm door  :-[  My roommate is a Media Studies major... she acted offended and wrote "Media Studies" to the right on the whiteboard >___>

She also didn't like this, which is up on our fridge:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, well.  That's how it goes, sometimes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:57 pm »

Update on the SS13 front. I got sent into space as a zombie and since I can't die, I tried to pass away the millennium by singing about bottles of bear on the wall.

You take one down, pass it around and it proceeds to maul everyone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: March 09, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »

I got a 100 on my argument paper, despite throwing it together in about five hours and finishing it as I was leaving for class, and having the paragraphs all out of order (Well, maybe not all out of order, but I referred to a paragraph as "the previous paragraph" when it was not, in fact, the previous paragraph).

I am a badass.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: March 09, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »

All badass get free hugs.

Hug me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »

Oh Toony, your cavalier attitude and dashing wit just serves to make you even more of a gentlemen. Let us take a constitutional, where we may discuss the matters of the day.

And then maybe I'll hug you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: March 09, 2010, 06:40:49 pm »

Rapidly press 'O'.

CHOKE GOD DMAN YOUUU

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:28 pm »

I got a 100 on my argument paper, despite throwing it together in about five hours and finishing it as I was leaving for class, and having the paragraphs all out of order (Well, maybe not all out of order, but I referred to a paragraph as "the previous paragraph" when it was not, in fact, the previous paragraph).

I am a badass.

You're gonna go far kid.  God I love it when a rush-job comes together.  Leaves more time for procrastinating.  Like just today, I had an exam that I needed to read three big-ass articles for.  I read one a month ago, and printed out the other two this morning.  Finished reading them minutes before class, and gave the best exam essay I have for this professor.

On that note, I need to read three books by Thursday morning for the exam of my life.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:28 pm »

"It is a bio-electric tracking device, it doesn't come in chewables."

The newest College Humor video thing, I think it's really funny.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: March 09, 2010, 07:07:26 pm »

Eating Chinese food with chopsticks in my pajama pants, sitting on the floor of an unfurnished living room, and posting on the internet with pirated wireless.

Happy face.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: March 09, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »

Spoiler: Large Vector Rant (click to show/hide)

Ye gods, I understood every word of that.
I fear for my future.

Of course, I have ohms in my text thing to the left and play Conway's Game of Life, so I'm probably already screwed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »

... You know about filters and uniformities?  Hmmmm.  Interesting...

Also, today was good because I got 100% on my incompleteness/undecidability midterm, and I am about to go eat a lot of food (also because people seem to be falling over themselves to give me more extra credit).  So hungry T_T

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: March 09, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

When I was 8 or so, my dad gave me this book called Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions.
I lost many hours to that thing.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 13326