Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6567 6568 [6569] 6570 6571 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15773933 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98520 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:05 am »

I understood as much as you did. >.>

Still, my current status is:
That moment when you are struggling with some concept and suddenly it dawns on you. >_<

Of course, I still have a lot of other things to figure out, like how to find the limit in computer-world, or what the heck "split the fluid proportionally to the corresponding
difference ΔIn and apply the respective directional derivatives from lower cells" means, or how I project a vector to ... another vector? And what's "integrating the amount of fluid in the definition of the function F(x,y)" supposed to mean? T_T Also, I think they're missing a variable definition.
So.... one.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98521 on: February 01, 2013, 10:04:34 am »

I understood as much as you did. >.>

Still, my current status is:
That moment when you are struggling with some concept and suddenly it dawns on you. >_<

Of course, I still have a lot of other things to figure out, like how to find the limit in computer-world, or what the heck "split the fluid proportionally to the corresponding
difference ΔIn and apply the respective directional derivatives from lower cells" means, or how I project a vector to ... another vector? And what's "integrating the amount of fluid in the definition of the function F(x,y)" supposed to mean? T_T Also, I think they're missing a variable definition.
So.... one.
Integrating (and this is a metaphor:) is getting the area under a line or volume under a plane. It's the exact opposite of a derivative (as in, if you integrate and then derive you should arrive at the same function, give or take some constants ).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #98522 on: February 01, 2013, 10:07:13 am »

I do know what integration and differentiation are. I just don't know what the author means by "integrate the amount of fluid in the definition of the function F(x,y)" and how it relates to fluid in adjacent cells interacting with each other. :<

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #98523 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:17 am »

Assuming you have the height as some kind of wave-surface, integrating that wavesurface for a specific area gives you the amount of water in that area, and it's relevant to know that compared to the amount in the cell next to it?

I'm just guessing, I'll need the context :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #98524 on: February 01, 2013, 10:20:33 am »

(In case anyone's wondering, here is where I'm getting all my problems from. I wholly blame alway for introducing me to this...)

This part? xD I'm not quite understanding how the acceleration vectors obtained move the water from place to place, while avoiding the problem of local minima... The phrase in question is near Equation 13.

And I need to sleep soon D: Too little time for plumbing the depths of advancedish math and physics...

Also, since you're looking at it, do you know what the variable T might be in equations 14~16?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:23:41 am by Skyrunner »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #98525 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:27 am »

Well, most of that paper seems to have entirely overly complicated equations. It could be a transpose operation. Entirely unnecessary for code, but it may make it technically more mathematically correct. As for programming, we don't care whether it's a row vector or column vector.

The delta (triangles pointing up) just means 'change in.' In those equations, I(x,y) = H(x,y) + K * F(x,y), where H is soil height and F is fluid height. Delta I in a grid is the difference between the I values between 2 points; in this case the current point and a neighbor.

For splitting the fluid proportionally, you find:
Code: [Select]
sum = 0
for each neighborPoint,
{
delta I = I(thisPoint) - I(neighborPoint)
if (delta I > 0)  //downward slope
sum += delta I
}
for each neighborPoint,
{
delta I = I(thisPoint) - I(neighborPoint)
if (delta I > 0)
proportion(neighborPoint) = delta I / sum
else
proportion(neighborPoint) = 0
}
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:13:44 am by alway »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98526 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:47 am »

I like it when SMBC gets contemplative from time to time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98527 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »

The exchange went really well! Hell, *all* the teachers are complimenting our class because we did so well.

And the Walloons were friendly too. BUT HOLY FUCK THAT SCHOOL WAS HUGE.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98528 on: February 01, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »

The 6 Nations starts this weekend. Bye bye any kind of "doing stuff" weekends, hello a 6 week long binge of rugby  :D.
This is a blank sig.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #98529 on: February 01, 2013, 12:27:57 pm »

The 6 Nations starts this weekend. Bye bye any kind of "doing stuff" weekends, hello a 6 week long binge of rugby  :D.

Were you the kind of bloke who went mad when we got the GSlam last year? :P

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98530 on: February 01, 2013, 12:30:16 pm »

Were you the kind of bloke who went mad when we got the GSlam last year? :P

Maybe a little  ;D. I am old enough to remember the horrible 80's and 90's, and am more than familiar with the boom and bust that is Welsh rugby, so like to try and keep my expectations low.
This is a blank sig.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98531 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

It turns out Domino's has a built-in limit on the number of toppings you can put on a pizza online. My scheme to set every cheese to triple is a failure.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98532 on: February 01, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

It turns out Domino's has a built-in limit on the number of toppings you can put on a pizza online. My scheme to set every cheese to triple is a failure.
You're happy that your scheme failed?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98533 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »

I suspect that post was written by Bauglir's arteries.
This is a blank sig.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98534 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:13 pm »

Even if the scheme failed, there's still a lot of cheese. Triple mozzarella, feta, double parmesan/asiago, double provolone. There's also some anchovies and spinach in there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 6567 6568 [6569] 6570 6571 ... 13325