Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6424 6425 [6426] 6427 6428 ... 13318

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15144168 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #96375 on: December 29, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »

Jeez, what an awesome xmas. Have a great Hogmanay everyone.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #96376 on: December 29, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »

A very powerful criminal lawyer has (somewhat inexplicably) begun to take an interest in me and he is actually trying to help me...? I am unsure exactly why. Part of me says if it is too good to be true, then it probably is. However, this lawyer literally has too many cases and I have too few (in terms of money).

Has he noticed my nose and the grindstone marks on it, or is he looking for a patsy? Who knows.

I'm playing it pretty reserved and covering a couple of things for him for a small amount of money right now (I like to imagine he's testing me to see if I can handle it). Part of me would like to scream and beg him for cases that pay--for even his single worst clients, for the lost causes, the overly demanding ones, the ones with insanely high expectations that can never be met, anything.  I know shit rolls downhill and that's where I've been standing for some time. [shrugs] Not gonna go that route if I can avoid it though.

He is asking me for writing samples. In lawyerspeak, this is akin to and/or part of an interview. He's asking to see my redacted work product (names and client information blacked out), to see if I am any good. Consider this a master craftsman asking another (admittedly lesser, because he's been doing this for decades longer than I and is famous) craftsman to see an example of his best work....

Moreover, one of the people in his office made a god damn phone call and within 15 minutes, the person he was talking to called me and wanted to hired me to be their lawyer on a criminal case.... After talking to me, said person called him back and let him know what happened within 5 minutes.... Let me explain, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN BEFORE, ever. Most lawyers do not just give away paying cases unless there is something wrong with it, and unless I am mistaken, nothing is wrong with this one. Do you realize the large amounts of money many lawyers spend on advertising only to pray that kinda thing happens? I got it, apparently, just from hanging around the guy and from treating him politely. Who knew...?

Things like this do not happen to me unless there's one giant shoe on the ground and the other floating above my head waiting to drop.... I'm just gonna crane my neck upwards and look for giant tread for a while. However, it is theoretically possible something good could come from this. I'm as surprised as you are....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96377 on: December 29, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »

You said he has too many cases, so it isn't that odd that he'd hoist one off onto you. You've been hurting for cases so I can see how it would seem odd, but the way you describe this guy suggests he has more potential clients than he can work. Being that the clients are, by definition, a temporary resource, nothing great is lost by giving you extras.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96378 on: December 29, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »

Just remember: Tom Cruise in The Firm also thought his job too good to be true. You know how that turned out.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96379 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:29 pm »

The 2 heads are Marianne (with a laurel wreath instead of a phrygian cap). The 2 other also have a laurel wreath, but I can't figure out what's inside. There's also writings in that place (around the 2 Marianne), but I can't read it.
I would guess it was some kind of prize, but it doesn't look like a military medal, nor a sport medal (in fact, it doesn't look like an official medal, though the Marianne are kind of suggesting it is). An watch-medal is a bit of an oddity too.

Also, Invicta was Swiss, before being bought by Americans, so the watch is not german, but swiss. So a swiss watch made for a french prize, and sold in germany.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96380 on: December 29, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »

Well. I assume you've done your research on the guy, and he damn will on you. Interesting. Edit: just to confirm, from what you've said about the guy i assume that he's interested in you for the job at hand, not nay token you may represent?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:57:37 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96381 on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:23 pm »

Just remember: Tom Cruise in The Firm also thought his job too good to be true. You know how that turned out.
Careful out there.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96382 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »

Dohohohohohohoho.

If you can remember a while back about my attempted burglary issues, whereupon my door was mangled beyond repair (RIP), how I was going to get a cast iron grill to go over the front entrance to my front door, because yo dawg?

EVEN BETTER

The security guy gave a quote on getting a steel door as well.

Overkill, but meh. The door won't have to be replaced for a looooong time.

I'm thinking of engraving fortifications onto the 2nd floor...

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96383 on: December 29, 2012, 02:06:10 pm »

Why don't you just relocate to a fortress you carved out?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96384 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »

The 2 heads are Marianne (with a laurel wreath instead of a phrygian cap). The 2 other also have a laurel wreath, but I can't figure out what's inside. There's also writings in that place (around the 2 Marianne), but I can't read it.
I would guess it was some kind of prize, but it doesn't look like a military medal, nor a sport medal (in fact, it doesn't look like an official medal, though the Marianne are kind of suggesting it is). An watch-medal is a bit of an oddity too.

Also, Invicta was Swiss, before being bought by Americans, so the watch is not german, but swiss. So a swiss watch made for a french prize, and sold in germany.

Actually I have no idea about the one in the picture, it's not a complete watch, simply the casing, my dad found it somewhere and I have no idea about it's origins or anything.
The one that I got,the one that works and whose backstory and origin I know is different, mainly in that it has a small engraving of a family crest that has since faded away and only the faint outlines indicate that it was actually there.

But the confirmation that it was something intended for France is enough, I had my doubts because it seemed that the writing only indicated to the model of the watch, like here.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96385 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »

Dude, get a guard dragon.  Or at least a cave crawler.  Maybe a retracting drawbridge over a pit filled with magma and hippos.

Seriously.  A door?  What good is that gonna do against Kobolds?  They can go through locked doors.  Duh!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96386 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:22 pm »

Iirc cutebolds died out during LW's worldgen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96387 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »

Now I only get [building_destroyer:1]'s showing up thinking they can bust down mah doors.
THEY HAVE ALL FEULHD

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96388 on: December 29, 2012, 02:27:59 pm »

But the confirmation that it was something intended for France is enough, I had my doubts because it seemed that the writing only indicated to the model of the watch, like here.

AFAIK Inscriptions like "medaille d'or" or "medaille d'argent" on watches refer to the creator of the model winning an award at an exhibition. So this model won a gold medal in 1895, at an exhibition in France or in the french-speaking part of Switzerland. The watch itself could be from around 1900, but the 1895 refers to the creation of the model or the winning of the award.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96389 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »

Now I only get [building_destroyer:1]'s showing up thinking they can bust down mah doors.
THEY HAVE ALL FEULHD
Where do you live? Mayby you could set up a freezing chamber.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 6424 6425 [6426] 6427 6428 ... 13318