Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6023 6024 [6025] 6026 6027 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15787770 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: [⑨] Things Cirno attempted to eat today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #90360 on: October 02, 2012, 11:26:58 am »

Teacher: "We cant see far off stars because the light isnt bright enough to reach us... Yes (myname)?"
"Isnt that just because the further stars are away from us the faster they move away from us and the faster they move away from us the redder the become, eventually turning infrared and leaving the visible spectrum?"

Thank you minutephysics!
*minutephysics five*

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #90361 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:43 am »

Teacher: "We cant see far off stars because the light isnt bright enough to reach us... Yes (myname)?"
"Isnt that just because the further stars are away from us the faster they move away from us and the faster they move away from us the redder the become, eventually turning infrared and leaving the visible spectrum?"

Thank you minutephysics!

That isn't correct though. Yes, stars found in distant galaxies are red shifted, but that isn't why they are not visible. Stars are essentially black body radiation sources modified modestly by a few emission and absorption spectra. That means they emit "light" on a very wide range of spectra. For every bit of a stars spectra that is shifted out of the visible range and into infrared, another bit of ultraviolet spectrum is shifted into the visible.

Stars become "invisible" because they they are effectively point sources of energy and the amount of energy hitting a given receiver from a distant point source is the square root of the distance minus any energy absorbed by the not quite vacuum of space, and that distance is very very large.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #90362 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:29 am »

Thank you minutephysics!

That isn't correct though. Yes, stars found in distant galaxies are red shifted, but that isn't why they are not visible. Stars are essentially black body radiation sources modified modestly by a few emission and absorption spectra. That means they emit "light" on a very wide range of spectra. For every bit of a stars spectra that is shifted out of the visible range and into infrared, another bit of ultraviolet spectrum is shifted into the visible.

Stars become "invisible" because they they are effectively point sources of energy and the amount of energy hitting a given receiver from a distant point source is the square root of the distance minus any energy absorbed by the not quite vacuum of space, and that distance is very very large.
The more you know. I'll remember that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90363 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:15 am »

I thought they were invisible because the alien civilizations that live there have launched an invading force towards earth, and because its a straight line the alien fleet blocks out all the light from the star behind it? 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #90364 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54:42 am »

I thought they were invisible because the alien civilizations that live there have launched an invading force towards earth, and because its a straight line the alien fleet blocks out all the light from the star behind it?
Shit, he's onto us! Abduct him!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #90365 on: October 02, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

Bro, we're like four hundred billion lightyears away.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90366 on: October 02, 2012, 12:04:29 pm »

Bro, we're like four hundred billion lightyears away.

They could have sent the sleeper agents first.   :o
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90367 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:18 pm »

The sleeper agents... Well, they're asleep. We didn't think we'd need them for another four hundred years. Even as fast as our warp drives go, we've still got a long journey ahead.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #90368 on: October 02, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »

Nadaka only knows that because he's a Starspawn kitten.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90369 on: October 02, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »

This would explain the creepy tentacles.
He's fucking with us.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #90370 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »

Ia Ia meow ftagn.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90371 on: October 02, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »

I want cuddles.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90372 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »

Me too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #90373 on: October 02, 2012, 12:30:54 pm »

* Simmura McCrea cuddles up with Descan and Kai on a sofa with some chocolate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #90374 on: October 02, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

Me three. And I even had them not too long ago.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6023 6024 [6025] 6026 6027 ... 13325