Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5916 5917 [5918] 5919 5920 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796689 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88755 on: September 18, 2012, 10:58:05 am »

My roommate is skipping attendance classes because of light rain.

Yes....good.....give in to your sloth and fail!
o_o

Please don't tell me he's there on scholarship. That might cause me a 4-hour drive to Boone to beat the everliving shit out of someone.
He's here on scholarship. He was also part of some program where he did college living in high school, so he supposedly knows how to live on his own in a dorm (he doesn't, this place is a horrible mess because of him). It may be because that dorm had strict rules and nighttime motion sensors and this one is an anarchy. He's the first person from his family to attend college.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88756 on: September 18, 2012, 11:03:31 am »

o_o

Please don't tell me he's there on scholarship. That might cause me a 4-hour drive to Boone to beat the everliving shit out of someone.
He's here on scholarship. He was also part of some program where he did college living in high school, so he supposedly knows how to live on his own in a dorm (he doesn't, this place is a horrible mess because of him). It may be because that dorm had strict rules and nighttime motion sensors and this one is an anarchy. He's the first person from his family to attend college.

* RedKing heads for the car, pausing only to pick up a six-pack of whupass.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88757 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:15 am »

o_o

* RedKing heads for the car, pausing only to pick up a six-pack of whupass.
I should mail you a keg of that stuff, for this purpose.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #88758 on: September 18, 2012, 11:34:08 am »

* Euld gives RedKing a heavy stick made of whupass.  "Take this.  It's dangerous to go alone."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88759 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:19 am »

* Miauw gets popcorn.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88760 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:01 am »

Man, Black Mesa is fun as hell. There totally needs to be a coop version of it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88761 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:47 am »

Man, Black Mesa is fun as hell. There totally needs to be a coop version of it.
This is totally the bestest idea ever.
You'd need modified maps tough.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88762 on: September 18, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

Huh. I might have to rewrite all of my sci-fi story. In my sci-fi story, I invented a state of matter known as a "quark soup," where I handwaved some particle physics and created a state of matter that doesn't have an element or a temperature or anything like that because it's just quarks floating around without any higher structure. The idea was that you could put two bowls of quark soup on opposite sides of the ship, and they would create two black holes, one stronger than the other; the ship would move in the direction of the stronger black hole, faster than light, but would not be sucked in because of the other. The only restriction was that, being quantum, if you observed a quark soup it would stop being nice and destroy everything within a radius of six light-years. The story revolved around a terrorist organization who planned to look at a quark soup to destroy everyone in a heavily populated star system.
What's stopping the blackholes from attracting each other? Where do you get the mass for the black holes? And third, why would observing them destroy anything?

Unless the system relies on one thing being in 2 places at once, nothing would happen. (Even then it'll probably be a misintrepretation of Quantum physics.)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #88763 on: September 18, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »

Huh. I might have to rewrite all of my sci-fi story. In my sci-fi story, I invented a state of matter known as a "quark soup," where I handwaved some particle physics and created a state of matter that doesn't have an element or a temperature or anything like that because it's just quarks floating around without any higher structure. The idea was that you could put two bowls of quark soup on opposite sides of the ship, and they would create two black holes, one stronger than the other; the ship would move in the direction of the stronger black hole, faster than light, but would not be sucked in because of the other. The only restriction was that, being quantum, if you observed a quark soup it would stop being nice and destroy everything within a radius of six light-years. The story revolved around a terrorist organization who planned to look at a quark soup to destroy everyone in a heavily populated star system.
What's stopping the blackholes from attracting each other? Where do you get the mass for the black holes? And third, why would observing them destroy anything?

Unless the system relies on one thing being in 2 places at once, nothing would happen. (Even then it'll probably be a misintrepretation of Quantum physics.)

1. Handwavium
2. Handwavium
3. Handwavium

I mean, of course it's handwaved. But the thing is, modern sci-fi is moving more towards fantasy in a way it wasn't when it was born. At the turn of the century, science was new and exciting and the idea of magic elements or warp drives was perfectly plausible. Not so much now, when we know much more about the limitations of what we is possible. And I'm OK with that...it just means it's not so much sci-fi as technofantasy.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88764 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »

Still problems with the local spacetime effects though. Such as possibly frying everything inside with Hawking radiation, the fact that you might not be able to send information forward in the direction of travel even inside the bubble, and the fact that you're going to be massively distorting spacetime in the vicinity as you travel (and in one model, generate a naked singularity at the front edge of the bubble in motion).
What could possibly go wrong?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88765 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »

Well, the other problem is that the ship would either have to be incredibly rigid, or it would wind up being deformed and stretched out into a long string. Think of a blob of Silly Putty. Pull steadily on both sides of it, and eventually you have two semi-solid lumps and a big soft stringy mess in between.

(And compared to the gravitational field of a black hole, ALL matter is Silly Putty).

Still problems with the local spacetime effects though. Such as possibly frying everything inside with Hawking radiation, the fact that you might not be able to send information forward in the direction of travel even inside the bubble, and the fact that you're going to be massively distorting spacetime in the vicinity as you travel (and in one model, generate a naked singularity at the front edge of the bubble in motion).
What could possibly go wrong?
Admittedly, having a naked singularity essentially act as your spaceship's hood ornament is pretty damn boss. Makes for a hell of a cowcatcher too.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:04:34 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88766 on: September 18, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »

Newsweek's latest cover depicts "Muslim Rage" and an article on "How to end it". They funnel people toward the Twitter hashtag #MuslimRage to discuss this.

In light of this, I am terrified for the safety of God-Fearing American citizens everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:18:43 pm by Solifuge »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88767 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »

Newsweek's latest cover depicts "Muslim Rage" and an article on "How to end it". They funnel people toward the Twitter hashtag #MuslimRage to discuss this.

In light of this, I am terrified for the safety of God-Fearing American citizens everywhere.

Excellent.  :)  Nice to see this sort of thing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88768 on: September 18, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

"Too much pork in Angry Birds #muslimrage"

That just made my day.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #88769 on: September 18, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »

I.... a criminal client (who was totally not gonna get off scott free and knew this from the beginning) was... appreciative...? ???

O I'm sorry, I was just waiting for the punchline, or perhaps the other shoe to fall covered in the shit it just stepped in after said shit hit the fan.... No? What the .... Either something is terribly wrong, or hell hath frozen over. They all laughed at me when I bought that infernal ski lift and told me the temperature would never get to freezing.

Ha, the fools! I wasn't worried about the temperature in hell making my infernal ski lift a bad investment. It's the particularly flat nature of the landscape that does that.

I don't know what kind of idiot they take me for but I'm not. I'm a different kind. :P

What's that...? Doesn't appear the other shoe or any shoe is falling? So hell may have frozen over and I'll be selling ski lift tickets as soon as I can make a mountain or two down there? Awesome.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:37:33 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 5916 5917 [5918] 5919 5920 ... 13325