Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5617 5618 [5619] 5620 5621 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788537 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

@alway
If Mario gained sentience, he might be able to figure out where the sides of the screen are, and maybe stuff like his jump speed formula, but he would never be able to see the actual coding of his world.

Same for us. No matter how far we dig into physics, we'll never find the "source code." It would probably be alien logic to us anyway, assuming it exists.

And assume we do live in a simulation; is the world above it in a simulation to? How about above that one? And above that? Maybe it's simulations all the way up.

@Itnetlolor
All the "worlds" we make have Good Stuff and Bad Stuff in them. Back to Mario, he's probably cursing whatever god made bottomless pits. How cruel! Just like we're cursing God for malaria or whatever.

But the Bad Stuff in our worlds have a point to them. It would stand to reason the Bad Stuff in His creation has a point as well. Maybe we can understand it, maybe we can't; Mario probably wouldn't be too sympathetic to our making obstacles for "fun," toying with his life.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Why am I now thinking we are *fingers* of somebody from *above*? This can make some people rather *frumple*.

We're the Orz?   :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

But the Bad Stuff in our worlds have a point to them. It would stand to reason the Bad Stuff in His creation has a point as well. Maybe we can understand it, maybe we can't; Mario probably wouldn't be too sympathetic to our making obstacles for "fun," toying with his life.
Some. Some of our bad stuff has a point to them. Others are kobolds with exploding darts sitting outside the first and only doorway from the d:1 stairs. There's no point to that, really. It's just making someone die because the code calls for that scenario. No purpose. Just procedure. Sometimes the dev didn't have a point, they just had some code they wanted to implement to see what happens.

Really need a new thread for this part of the conversation. That "the obstacles have a purpose" line always depresses the fuck out of me, at least :-\ There's just too much shit that goes down that a conceivable purpose cannot exist for, unless that purpose is sadism or malevolence. And no-purpose leads to blind-idiot god dreaming in the center of the galaxy, kept asleep by it's endless courtiers. Loveecraft's got copyright or something, iirc. Ia, ia, Azathoth ftaghn, etc.
Why am I now thinking we are *fingers* of somebody from *above*? This can make some people rather *frumple*.
We're the Orz?
Only on Tuesdays, and only those of us who actually sent in for the Orz suit and was selected in the suit lotto. It's a select bunch, really.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:51:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

I don't want religious discussion in this thread, at all. Keep it out of here for now on.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

Do you mind discussing who should be making the religious discussion thread?

If no one else will and nobody minds me locking the thread temporarily at some point because I won't be available to moderate, I will make the thread, but only if no one else wants to and no one minds me being the moderator.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I've literally got the OP for one typed up and waiting to be posted if nobody has objections.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

fuck.

A religious discussion thread would be a great place to hash out our beliefs and whatnot.

But still.

Fuck.

Because I know it's going to eventually turn into a giant clusterfuck of hurt feelings  and accusations.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I've rules set out, most of which I've gotten from common responses to religious beliefs being brought up in threads around here.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

I say go for it, you're more reliable than me, and a good moderator from what I've seen.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Finally watched the first episode of Breaking Bad season 5 today. Stuff is setting up pretty well to go downhill and I'm so looking forward to everything going in the shitter again.

If any of you guys that post in this topic haven't watched this show GO START NOW. Seriously. Best thing on TV.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Had a mostly-awesome day at the fair today. Got a little sunburn, a headache, some swag, saw a bunch of exotic and rescued animals (including a bald eagle!), and enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells.
Sadly, the food I picked out was pretty blah. Other than that, was good over-all.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Latest kuroshitsuji chapter.
So amusing, made so in large part by how hypocritical Ciel is (in that he is doing pretty much the exact same thing the other person is (although is isn't really as evil about it).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is fantastic.

So I know this was some time back, but it made me laugh so hard and it really made my day. Happiness for the win!

Also, it's still up. Way to run a HORRIBLE campaign for yourself!

EDIT: Some research suggests this is likely not actually Shell. Still hilarious though.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:21:58 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

That's so funny xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 5617 5618 [5619] 5620 5621 ... 13325