Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5493 5494 [5495] 5496 5497 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771807 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Okay, anonymously and secretly enough that said person doesn't know.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Today was quite good, a great contrast to yesterday.

I still feel like a bucket of phail though. :/
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

...I wonder how useful it would be to earn a science degree after I get my BA in English?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile

...I wonder how useful it would be to earn a science degree after I get my BA in English?

I know someone who got her BA in English Literature a couple months back.

If you're planning to teach (like she was) doubling up on science would be the best bet. Market for English teachers now isn't the best in most places, as my friend found out.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I'm actually looking to become a Technical Writer/Editor. I just happen to love science as much as I love writing, but I don't honestly think I can hack being a scientist. I could never pull off what Vector does with mathematics. Granted, not many can, but that's what separates the wheat from the chaff, right?

Edit: Other dream jobs include dialog/story writer for a video game company, best selling novelist, magazine article writer, magazine editor, paid blogger, assassin, and sports commentary. Yeah, I know that a few of those are less attainable because of Journalism requirements, but said requirements aren't too far off English requirements.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:28:57 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile

Where are you based? An English degree is a make-or-break in some places, and absolutely worthless in others.

EDIT: For comparison, I have a History degree, which is worthless in any place that isn't a university or certain museums
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:57:57 am by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

There are actual job postings on Gamasutra.com and probably on the websites of video game companies.  Here's a website I randomly google'd that lists them.  If you can prove you're a decent writer and be able to explain to someone why their writing is bad and how it could be improved (it's very likely you'll have to revise completely rewrite a story a programmer did) and be able to learn the software/procedure used by your employer, then you could very well be a game story writer.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Josephus: I'm based in Michigan, but not terribly averse to moving anywhere English speaking, so long as I can visit my parents every now and then.

Euld: Thank you, I'll look into that.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Just remembered, try Bioware if you like RPGs.  Last time I checked on there, part of their application process involved using the campaign creation kit for Neverwinter Nights 1 to tell a good short story using a handful of NPCs in room.  Yeah that might mean you'll be partially under the boot of EA, but you might be able to help save Bioware of the awful plague of bad writing that's afflicted them recently.

edit: oh right, a lot of them require years of experience in writing, don't let that get you down.  It's entirely possible to argue that you're already very experienced in writing and in a work environment that you'll be able to manage just fine.

double edit: this made me happy today!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My existence has been acknowledged at random by Bay12  :'(  I'm so happy...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:24:04 am by Euld »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Just remembered, try Bioware if you like RPGs.  Last time I checked on there, part of their application process involved using the campaign creation kit for Neverwinter Nights 1 to tell a good short story using a handful of NPCs in room.  Yeah that might mean you'll be partially under the boot of EA, but you might be able to help save Bioware of the awful plague of bad writing that's afflicted them recently.

Like Mass Effect 3.

...this isn't the Mass Effect 3 ending hate thread. Pardon me.

*walks away*
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Got a good thing and a sad thing.

Good: I found a really beautiful bird in my garden today (freely translated to "redbutt"). Had never seen it's kind before, and it's definitely one of my newer favourites.

Sad: My kitteh had found it before me ;)
Love, scriver~

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

double edit: this made me happy today!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My existence has been acknowledged at random by Bay12  :'(  I'm so happy...
Sorry to disappoint, but it links everyone to their own profile.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Got a good thing and a sad thing.

Good: I found a really beautiful bird in my garden today (freely translated to "redbutt"). Had never seen it's kind before, and it's definitely one of my newer favourites.

Sad: My kitteh had found it before me ;)

Kitteh perspective:

Good: My master found a really nice and tasty bird in his garden today.

Best: I ate it :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

13:46 - [ALG] Miauw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSVYgcy24Q
13:47 - [ALG BLU] znxster: im at work and i just got "SEX ROBOT" blaring through my speakers
13:47 - [ALG BLU] znxster: super
13:48 - [ALG BLU] znxster: haha

Nothing else has to be said.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I don't know how long Haspen has had that avatar and text, but that made me super happy this morning.

How much crap are you little people going to find?  No, I don't want any more of your wheat.  My inventory is nothing but wheat thanks to you.

By the way, sorry about the earthquakes, but tepees just don't pay the bills.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 5493 5494 [5495] 5496 5497 ... 13325