Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5244 5245 [5246] 5247 5248 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15787332 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Found knife (been missing for a good month or so, before), headphones, mp3 player, and triple A battery. Happiness quotient now no longer as far below zero as it was, yaay~

Will become slightly less negative when I stop needing my ears for the night. Decent afternoon, huzzah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny you should mention Starship Troopers. I'm actually watching Starship right now.

It's a parody of Starship Troopers and some scifi in general. They do a parody of the knife scene in Starship Troopers, and hey, guess who the commander looks like?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:47:52 pm by Pnx »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Well actually I pretty much can guarantee we'll make big advancements in target recognition to the extent where in 50 years or so we'll have remote commanded micro-tanks that can go around the battlefield shooting up enemy soldiers and soaking up the worst of the casualties.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll actually get much use. They're going to be pretty damn expensive for quite a while, and you'll still need soldiers to go in after the tanks to sweep up and secure the area.

The 'they're going to be pretty damn expensive' is the point. There's little chance that the government's going to be interested in putting out that much money when they can train a soldier and arm him or her for a lot less. They might buy a handful, but not nearly enough to fight a war.
The hell are two you going on about?
1. Unmanned systems are almost always cheaper; they can be made smaller, lighter, faster, and less armored because they don't need to contain and protect a human inside.
2. Training, equipping, and feeding/supplying soldiers is very expensive. That whole "logistics" thing which makes up a lot of the cost of war.
3. It's not 50 years from now, it's 5 years.
The Ripsaw unmanned tank costs $760,000 from what I've found. An Abrams costs $6.2 million.
Then there's the Black Knight.
The Guardium has already been in use by the Israelis for border
patrol uses for almost half a decade.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:05:16 pm by alway »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

And for some reason we're still using footsloggers. And I personally have no doubt that we're going to keep using human into the far future, probably for no good reason.
Nothing important here, move along.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In semi-related news, a company is designing unmanned drones to target platinum and hydrogen-rich asteroids in range of Earth, and mining them. It's pretty cool.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In semi-related news, a company is designing unmanned drones to target platinum and hydrogen-rich asteroids in range of Earth, and mining them. It's pretty cool.

Gotta claim them before anyone else does, you know.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Re: military tactics on Pandora, I present for your consideration:

1) Vietnam.
2) The plants and animals are bigger.
3) And they want to kill you.
4) You can't even breathe the air.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Re: military tactics on Pandora, I present for your consideration:

1) Tungsten light pole from orbit.
2) Tungsten light pole from orbit.
3) Tungsten light pole from orbit.
4) Unmanned drones.
Kinetic kill is one of the better kills :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

-called by telemarketers-

Are you sure they weren't just trying to get information on you? There are a fair few companies out there that will try to find out personal details associated with your phone number so they can sell the information off to scammers and/or telemarketers.

Nope, they didn't ask for any information beyond that random soldier, and I didn't provide any.

You have forgotten that you were created to be a genetically modified super soldier!  ;D

I dunno why, but I'm caught up in this fantasy now.

Turns green, goes off to smash things.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

You'd better bring more than 3 damn poles if you're going to fly all the way to Pandora.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Man, if I was expecting hostile natives, I'd have an entire cargo hauler dedicated to tungsten light poles, because nothing says, "Mine now." like the functional equivalent of the fist of an angry god.
Ask not!
Ask!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Why are you talking about tungsten light poles? o_o...

What's so special about them?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Well actually I pretty much can guarantee we'll make big advancements in target recognition to the extent where in 50 years or so we'll have remote commanded micro-tanks that can go around the battlefield shooting up enemy soldiers and soaking up the worst of the casualties.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll actually get much use. They're going to be pretty damn expensive for quite a while, and you'll still need soldiers to go in after the tanks to sweep up and secure the area.

The 'they're going to be pretty damn expensive' is the point. There's little chance that the government's going to be interested in putting out that much money when they can train a soldier and arm him or her for a lot less. They might buy a handful, but not nearly enough to fight a war.
The hell are two you going on about?
1. Unmanned systems are almost always cheaper; they can be made smaller, lighter, faster, and less armored because they don't need to contain and protect a human inside.
2. Training, equipping, and feeding/supplying soldiers is very expensive. That whole "logistics" thing which makes up a lot of the cost of war.
3. It's not 50 years from now, it's 5 years.
The Ripsaw unmanned tank costs $760,000 from what I've found. An Abrams costs $6.2 million.
Then there's the Black Knight.
The Guardium has already been in use by the Israelis for border
patrol uses for almost half a decade.

Not related to the topic, but the Guardium totally beats every tank (barring the Abrams, because they look nice and iconic) you listed there in terms of aesthetics.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

All the fun of a nuclear explosion without the fallout.

It's called the Rod of/from God for a REASON.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

You forgot the part where one of the founders of the company is the same guy who made Avatar.
Pages: 1 ... 5244 5245 [5246] 5247 5248 ... 13325