Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5243 5244 [5245] 5246 5247 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15787303 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

It was pretty, but I thought it lacked substance. It was like coloured smoke to me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Say what you will, I thought the final battles in Avatar were awesome. All that military hardware and gorgeous CGI. Especially since the blue dudes were getting the stuffing kicked out of them.
But then they manage to ka-stab the mech guy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

If you asked me, I reckon the humans would've rolled right over them with almost no resistance. The Na'vi may be tall and strong, but they were really only using wooden weaponry. They're just glorified elves.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Wooden weaponry and about an entire forestful of animals, and a giant dragonthingie.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Say what you will, I thought the final battles in Avatar were awesome. All that military hardware and gorgeous CGI. Especially since the blue dudes were getting the stuffing kicked out of them.
It was... pretty terrible. Today, we would have leveled that place from over the horizon, or at least from the upper atmosphere. In a reality where they've got interstellar travel? There's no excuse for 90% of the shit they pulled in that movie.

Don't get me started on the arrow through the faceplate bullshit. Or the mechs in general. Candidate for worst exosuit ever.

The movie was very pretty but joy-drainingly stupid :-\

Bright side, I have bolo book in room. I can read that for happier future war thoughts, maybe. Bolos are pretty great.

Are... are there any movies out there that actually does a good job of reasonable scifi warfare?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Starship Troopers!

trolololo?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

I don't know any movies with good sci-fi warfare, but the novel Surface Detail has a rather interesting interstellar war fought in virtual realities.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I think the human commander was very stupid in deploying his troops.
He also shouldn't have directly destroyed the tree, and just everything around it. Destroying the tree gave the Navi the power of heart. :S

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Starship Troopers!

trolololo?
Trolololo indeed. If it had been closer to the books, wouldn't have been quite as badly of a mockery in that area. Book wasn't quite perfect in that arena either, but it was pretty old, so that's a bit forgivable. Was still fairly decent as that stuff goes.

And yeah, the written word as a much better track record as such things go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

My review of Avatar:

I was entertained.

It's not a groundbreaking movie in terms of plot, and it doesn't stand up to analysis very well. It's a footnote in cinema history for the special effects.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

TBH, we're going to probably still be sending cheaply-armed soldiers in even in the far future, because unless we're going up against some kind of Always Chaotic Evil space empire of super-bad aliens, any war we're going to be in is going to involve having to deal with trying to reduce collateral to not piss off the civilians and the people who like us, and unless they make some amazing developments in target recognition and other electronics, human soldiers on the ground will be, while not necessarily the most effective solution, likely the cheapest. Especially when they're equipped with everything by the lowest bidder the government can get away with.

Fuck war.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I will grant you that Bolos are awesome. I'm just a sucker for pretty and chaotic battles, which a buncha missiles hitting the target from a few hundred miles away would not have been.

And I don't believe there are any movies like that. Remember, most filmmakers want flashy visuals, not shooting at something you can't even see.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBH, we're going to probably still be sending cheaply-armed soldiers in even in the far future, because unless we're going up against some kind of Always Chaotic Evil space empire of super-bad aliens, any war we're going to be in is going to involve having to deal with trying to reduce collateral to not piss off the civilians and the people who like us, and unless they make some amazing developments in target recognition and other electronics, human soldiers on the ground will be, while not necessarily the most effective solution, likely the cheapest. Especially when they're equipped with everything by the lowest bidder the government can get away with.

Fuck war.
Well actually I pretty much can guarantee we'll make big advancements in target recognition to the extent where in 50 years or so we'll have remote commanded micro-tanks that can go around the battlefield shooting up enemy soldiers and soaking up the worst of the casualties.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll actually get much use. They're going to be pretty damn expensive for quite a while, and you'll still need soldiers to go in after the tanks to sweep up and secure the area.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starship Troopers!

trolololo?

Watch the anime, it's so nostalgically awesome.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Well actually I pretty much can guarantee we'll make big advancements in target recognition to the extent where in 50 years or so we'll have remote commanded micro-tanks that can go around the battlefield shooting up enemy soldiers and soaking up the worst of the casualties.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll actually get much use. They're going to be pretty damn expensive for quite a while, and you'll still need soldiers to go in after the tanks to sweep up and secure the area.

The 'they're going to be pretty damn expensive' is the point. There's little chance that the government's going to be interested in putting out that much money when they can train a soldier and arm him or her for a lot less. They might buy a handful, but not nearly enough to fight a war.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 5243 5244 [5245] 5246 5247 ... 13325