Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5165 5166 [5167] 5168 5169 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15781627 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [Yahoo~] Things to totally thank Kyouko for today thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #77490 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »

Twelve was actually my favorite. I am prepared to be booed for this, and I readily admit that, for the most part, the playable party was terribly characterized (Vaan, the protagonist, I constantly wished would die in a fire, and I was extremely glad when he stopped being important to the plot around the time Ashe joined). However, I really enjoyed the NPCs. Particularly Vayne, Cid, and Venat. It's as if somebody sunk way too much time into building a D&D campaign setting with plausible villains and stories, and then the players showed up with caricature PCs. Although Balthier's stereotype is one I'm pretty much okay with (any game where you can describe a character as "Han Solo, but X", X being British in this case, has something going for it).

FF6 has nostalgia going for it. It's also got better characters, and was just generally more fun to play, in my opinion. So yeah, it's a better game. 12, though, I liked better as a story, and these days that's what I tend to gravitate toward when I assign favorite rank because that's what sticks with me after I finish.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77491 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »

Thunderstorm~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77493 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »

3: Nobody picks 3.
Who the hell has even played 3?

Personally, I liked VII because I was 12 and it was my first ever PS game, so there's the huge nostalgia factor involved. And I really don't know what people have agaisnt XII. I don't have a PS3, so I've never actually seen 13 or 14.
And someone mentioned X-2. That one does not count. It doesn't exist, afaic.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77494 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »

X-2 was actually pretty good from what I hear. Gutted FFX's storyline so turn off the cutscenes or something, but good gameplay (especially for a final fantasy game).

And I didn't like 12 due to the gameplay. Story looked pretty good from what I saw. The pseudo MMO battle system, stealing, and those stupid hunt things really turned me off, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77495 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:45 pm »

ಠ_ಠ

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77496 on: April 30, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »

X-2 was actually pretty good from what I hear.
Yeah, if you're a pre-pubescent japanese girl.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77497 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:10 pm »

ಠ_ಠ
You have? The original, or the DS remake? The only thing I know is you start with 4 "Onion kids". I actually have a rom of the original, but I never got around to playing it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77498 on: April 30, 2012, 01:35:37 pm »

ಠ_ಠ
You have? The original, or the DS remake? The only thing I know is you start with 4 "Onion kids". I actually have a rom of the original, but I never got around to playing it.
I second Darvi's ಠ_ಠ.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77499 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:22 pm »

Should I go play it right now?
Or is it because it's a rom and "it's totally illegal, oh no"?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77500 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

Go, play, and be free. If you can find a copy of the cartridge, buy it. However, I would think that the game in question would fall into the Abandonware category. It's no longer being supported, and the company isn't expecting to make any revenue from it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77501 on: April 30, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

Penguinofhonor's Final Fantasy Spinoff Compatibility List:

X2: Oh god
Tactics: You're not a real Final Fantasy fan.
Dissidia: You're not a real Final Fantasy fan.
Revenant Wings: You're not a real Final Fantasy fan.
Crystal Chronicles: Friendship!
Kingdom Hearts: You are a 14-year-old emo kid.

You missed one. And my favorite of the spinoffs, too! I like the battle/experience gain system much better than most FF games, even if the plot was a bit light and the whole thing a bit simplistic. Great game for kids, though.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:44:54 pm by GlyphGryph »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77502 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »

Mystic Quest forever! (lol)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77503 on: April 30, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »

It's honest to god still one of my favorites. :P

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #77504 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:06 pm »

Twelve was actually my favorite. I am prepared to be booed for this
12 was definitely best told as a story, but my favorite thing about it was the combat system. Yes, yes, everyone is a robot who you don't even play, but the gambit system actually allowed for decent levels of AI customization and some of the fights were actually rather challenging if you didn't spam Quickenings. I'm also probably the only person in the world who enjoyed the License system, but I did. Ended up being my favorite since 7 when I was sure I was going to hate it.

I also think 8 is unfairly maligned. The GF system was a Magical Walkway to Godhood for Fun and Profit. Man the story was awful though.

X-2 was actually pretty good from what I hear. Gutted FFX's storyline so turn off the cutscenes or something, but good gameplay (especially for a final fantasy game).
What I've played of 10-2 is both absolutely hilarious and fun. The costume change thing works really well, and while I didn't at all like 10, 10-2 always struck me as a parody of the series, which is fitting with a title like that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 5165 5166 [5167] 5168 5169 ... 13325