Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4800 4801 [4802] 4803 4804 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771797 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #72015 on: February 19, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

This place stands a chance to be less cultured in your absence. Sure, Bay 12 will always be classy, but, without Vector, we probably never would have taken the time to watch a bunch of pillars dance around the Notre Dame.

So long.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72016 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »

We'll have to do the best we can. Who here is considered a pillar of the community? We can get those poor bastards together and force them to dance around a country church at gunpoint. Basically the same thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72017 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:56 pm »

Eating cinnamon poptarts with whip cream on top doesn't console the sadness of Vector leaving.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72018 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »

That is delicious, delicious sadness.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72020 on: February 19, 2012, 10:07:37 pm »

No, Joshua's poptarts. Also, Vector taking her hermitage. That's the sadness part. I have no words.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72021 on: February 19, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »

Someone please make a goodbye thread :(

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72022 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »

Playing an Adventurer in DF now that it no longer crashes :D

So after killing a few outlaws I get a quest to kill a vampire. Excited, I set out for my new destination- but there must be a mistake! He can't be living in a human town!

So I spend 2 or 3 days hunting this guy, until I realize he's probably the only guy here with legendary skills, and looking for blinking people is easier. I finally find him and accuse him of being a night creature; probably hissing and scowling, he reveals himself and tells me to prepare for death, and then a miller chops his hand off. He drops all the trophies he's gathered; he killed 827 people. I imagine his arm as a fire hose, and the trophies being water, as he flails wildly spewing hair crowns, nail earrings, and bone amulets everywhere. I get a lucky stab in and strike him down, and I am hailed as a hero by the people.
"Go north," they told me. "Uce Somethingsomething surely has a task for a great hero such as you."
Recruiting several meat shields companions, I set out for the fortress; several tiles from town I was ambushed by +10 goblins and my party of six was cut down. God I love this game.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72023 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:17 pm »

Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #72024 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:07 pm »

If you guys have heard of Legend (a d20 game that is much more awesome and balanced than d&d 3.5), there is a Kickstarter for illustrations.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72025 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:25 pm »

Speaking of, I apparently can't stop doing stupid shit with D&D. I decided to bring back a recurring character for a oneshot, and in reading over the race description I noticed that they are "never at risk when applying poisons to weapons." He has a bite attack, so I'm wondering if he can brush his teeth with Black Lotus Extract (the gold standard for expensive, deadly contact poisons). My conclusion is, yes, as long as he does not rinse.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #72027 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:30 am »

I suppose I should have linked to the Legend website... Do we have a thread in Other Games for it?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #72028 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:48 am »

Oh hey. That's some cool stuff they have on that kickstarter thinger.

I don't think there's an other games thread, but I posted about it in the topic some weeks ago. It's definitely an awesome looking system and I'm still looking forward to playing a game in it while also designing a game world for it on my own in my spare time.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72029 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:47 am »

-snip-
While I think it's important to change things up in fantasy, I don't think using the name of one thing for something that is completely unlike it is a good idea. Making your goblins be basically elves will simply confuse people, and if you're going to come up with something completely different, you might as well come up with a completely new name for it. A certain amount of hate for Twilight came about because Stephanie Meyer co-opted the use of the word "vampire" for something that really barely fit the description. It seems like fantasy is a very traditionalist genre, which isn't so surprising since, in a way, it's been around for quite a while.

This is me not being offended that you just equated me with Stephanie Meyer. Am I not gracious?

More seriously, I think you missed my point entirely, and instead are letting yourself be bothered by an idea just because it doesn't derive from J.R.R. Tolkein's work. Elves, goblins, trolls, boggarts, dwarves, and so on were just different names for the same idea; mischievous little sprites who troubled people in folklore. Making them pretty and welcoming on the outside, but cold and cruel on the inside fits right in with their folklore origins... but because it doesn't agree with this established "fantasy standard," some people would have conniptions over this.

Point of interest; the name and idea behind Goblins comes from German Kobolds, which in turn are derived from Greek Kobaloi, the randy and mischievous sprites in service to Dionysus. The fact that Goblins aren't still horny, shapeshifting alcoholic faries is a complete violation of Goblin cannon... but I'd bet few people are troubled by that.

So yeah, long story short, Fantasy has been codified too heavily, which stifles creativity and bogs down storytelling. To me, having an accepted "fantasy standard" seems like a violation of the whole purpose of folklore and fairytales; to tell an obviously untrue story to others, for their entertainment and/or education.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:20:21 am by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 4800 4801 [4802] 4803 4804 ... 13325