Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4788 4789 [4790] 4791 4792 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15779409 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71835 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:51 am »

Imagine playing Amnesia and suddenly in a dark room hearing a monster sound positioned right on your shoulder with this tech. Effectively a wall building kit, what with all the bricks people would shit.

Edit: Oh, and the wiki page has even more of them! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:51:14 am by alway »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71836 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:00 am »

I was thinking more about a scene where you chase a voice through the dark and misty woods, while the jingling and jangling of a horrorterror's chains pursues you. Then there's... sort of other ideas with ghosts following you around, being just over your shoulder, talking to you. You turn and you can see them retreating behind you. Maybe a scene where laughter circles around you... Eh, it's all kind of vague.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71837 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:25 am »

Don't have two channel headphones right now, so can't listen, but... binaural stuff? That's... old tech. Like, nineties stuff, I think. Older, even, the general research into it's over forty years old.

Check out SBaGen for something fairly neat related to it. I've played around with it a fair bit, and it can make for some very interesting experiences, both awake and asleep. I've found certain sound patterns (It comes with a fairly large set of pre-programmed stuff, and you can make your own if you're feeling frisky) and combinations of 'em can help with both headaches and concentration, strange as it may be.

Plus it's just a really interesting sound. There's a few more non-commerical programs related to it, too, I think, and more than a few commercial ones (usually marketed as sleep aids and suchlike.).

S'neat to see 'em applying it to games, though, and somewhat worrying. Certain patterns of that stuff actually messes with brain function :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71838 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:23 am »

My dad oiled the bendy part of my chair, so now I can lean back without it going SCREEEEEEECH in the middle of the night <3

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71839 on: February 18, 2012, 02:22:00 am »

So found a partner for a movie outline due tonight just this morning. Didn't work on it at all aside from idle musings during the day until about three hours before the deadline (midnight). Finished it up and submitted it with about 50 minutes to spare. Kinda wish we hadn't put it off so long so we could have actually done research on actors and such for the movie (I'm very unfamiliar with actors, directors, ect) but feels good. Now if only I didn't have a 6 am shift...

And in case anyone was wondering what the outline was about think Magic the Gathering crossed with Transformers and Avatar.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71840 on: February 18, 2012, 02:22:44 am »

My dad oiled the bendy part of my chair, so now I can lean back without it going SCREEEEEEECH in the middle of the night <3
Have a good night.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71841 on: February 18, 2012, 02:27:01 am »

You know, the really funny thing to me about playing FFVII now, as opposed to how I felt about it when I first played in middle school, is that it really is a first-class game.  It's great!  I hated it when I was younger, but at the moment I'm convinced I just didn't get it at all.  Loads more fun this time through.

I've got to say, it's got a certain number of things that I still hate about it--the minigames and the terrible monster variety, plus the bad grind pace and really annoying leveling schema for materia/bad summon system/blah blah blah... I really can't stand any of those, at all.  FFVIII and FFIX had much better tuning for those things.  But FFVII is still a really wonderfully made game, and, uh, crossdressing, awesome female characters, blah blah.  They really don't write 'em like this anymore, I don't think... I guess I should at least try FFXIII before passing judgment, but I hated FFXII so much when I played it with a friend (might have a different opinion now, dunno) that I'm not sure I want to try.

Oh, and I'm enjoying reading a couple new webcomics.  It's nice to have a night off.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71842 on: February 18, 2012, 02:29:46 am »

And in case anyone was wondering what the outline was about think Magic the Gathering crossed with Transformers and Avatar.
... which Avatar? There's at least two that have major media expressions.

Anyway, re: FFVII grind: This is why you play on emulators ♫

Fastforward button. Also known as "Oh hey Imma grind 6 hours worth in console time in like a 1/5th or less realtime." Speed up command makes JRPGs so much more bearable, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71843 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35:08 am »

Ah, yeah, that's a good point =/  I'd forgotten about that.

Man, I'd die on FFVIII or FFIX if I used the speed-up command, because usually my entire party is haste'd and/or has tripled magic the minute I can manage it, and thus needs commands pretty much as fast as I can come up with them (plus aura near the end of FFVIII for limit breaks every turn, whee :3).  FFVII on the other hand... usually I just enrage everyone and try for lots of limit breaks, haha >_>

Damn, I've missed these games.  It's a shame I really can't stand playing through more than a save point at a time, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71844 on: February 18, 2012, 02:41:37 am »

That is why I liked FFX... Played through the entire story line without once ever needing to grind, and still found the game challenging. Sometimes I had to cheat by getting drive gauges up before a hard fight then blast it with wave after wave of summons, but by that point a lot of bosses can pretty much 1 hit K.O your petty aeons. All in all, beautifully balanced.

Yet it seems to gather a lot of hate, and I don't think I understand why...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71845 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:55 am »

What I liked about FFX was the tolerable main character. He's not too angsty, and what angst IS there is believable. He also grows out of it in non-stupid ways.

Still didn't really like Tidus, but I didn't hate him either, which is a huge complement to how they did the character type.

Also the sphere grid was kinda nifty.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71846 on: February 18, 2012, 02:50:01 am »

I don't think we were meant to like Tidus. Seriously, every other JRPG character to ever pick up a sword for the first time was always an instant pro, while he had trouble picking the damn thing up. When other people get an awesome one liner before a final boss, he has his little tearly moment, after being told the entire game not to be a cry baby.
He wasn't the default hero, and it was interesting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71847 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:53 am »

Oh man, Dorfs.  Finally got around to trying out Fortress Mode now that there's a big new version out and I won't have to worry about a big savebreaking update killing my fort.

Fortress 1:  Set it up in an evil mountain because I'm rad like that.  Less than a week in it starts raining rotten ooze.  I set up a meeting hall under a rock overhang but in the scramble everyone is exposed and suffers whole-body blisters, nausea, and bruising.  I decide this place is obviously not habitable and abandon for the health of my dorfs.

Fortress 2:  Set it up in a regular mountain.  I try to create a flat surface several z-levels high for the entrance for future fortifications, but my miners, being dorfs, end up causing a rock shelf to collapse.  The expedition leader makes it out okay but the miner/engineer ends up severely injured and almost dies.  We manage to set up a rudimentary hospital and the Surgeon General, being a medical genius, confirms that she's fucked up.  Broken arm, broken leg, broken hip, several bruised organs but they healed on their own.  As we speak he's heading out to clean her wounds.  With pond water.  The Martians from War of the Worlds knew more about disease prevention than these guys.

EDIT:  It's too late, the full diagnosis just came in and it was worse than we feared:  She's really fucked up.  Horrendous trauma, multiple compound fractures, and infection's already setting in, Probably from the week or so she spent lying on the ground while the carpenter put together a bed.  Worse, she was also the engineer, so who's gonna make her traction bench?  I don't have high hopes for her.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:11:55 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71848 on: February 18, 2012, 03:09:40 am »

Man, I'd love to play FFX.  I've even managed not to totally spoil it for myself, which is frankly a pretty hard thing to do.

*sigh*

I really wanna buy a PS sometime soon~  I'll give my favorite game companies lots and lots of money, because they do kinda deserve it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71849 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:21 am »

At this point, by buying it you're giving no one money but some dude on ebay.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4788 4789 [4790] 4791 4792 ... 13325