Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4768 4769 [4770] 4771 4772 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760533 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71535 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:10 pm »

My new favourite listing on Amazon. It starts good, gets better, keeps going with the 'other items' and peaks with the customer reviews.

Linked underneath that ... probably considered slightly more NSFW http://www.amazon.com/3B-Scientific-W43014-Testicle-Self/dp/B005OSVZN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_5

Also:, I'm pissed off, my 200+ item amazon wish list appears to be empty now. So I shall re-fill it only with weird things.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:00:20 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #71536 on: February 14, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »

Should I know what to make of that barrel? I mean, how on earth would you possibly need that...?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71537 on: February 14, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »

It's probably just the afterglow of the new release, but I get a warm fuzzy feeling reading the modding forums. People band together to get things working for day 1, everyone wishes well to the mod makers and thanks them for all their efforts, past and future. I'm sure later it'll go back to normal, but it's a good day for the DF community all around.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71538 on: February 14, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

You know, it's actually possible to buy uranium over amazon.
Oh, and check and this customer image for it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71539 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »

Literally just sat down for 5 hours straight and programmed.  The next project is due in more than a week, and I just finished.

This is the power of a math major who is well-fed and -rested!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71540 on: February 14, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »

The next project is due in more than a week, and I just finished.

That's such a good feeling. I love being miles ahead of the deadline. Don't forget to spend 30 mins or so tweaking the day before.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #71541 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

I've been in a super good mood, today. I'm finally figuring out things in my head, I don't have any impending assignments due, and people are accusing me of hacking in APB:Reloaded. I should probably get ahead on my homework, too, but it's too fun being in a good mood!

Life's good.

Should I know what to make of that barrel? I mean, how on earth would you possibly need that...?

Either it's bought to redistribute or for highly specialized businesses.

Or people just buy it for the novelty of buying a $1000 barrel of lube.

...That could totally be in the next The Hangover. Imagine waking up one morning and there's a giant barrel of lube sitting in front of your door.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #71542 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:08 pm »

No... Imagine waking up in the morning with an EMPTY 55 gallon drum of lube next to your bed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71543 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:28 pm »

You know, it's actually possible to buy uranium over amazon.
Oh, and check and this customer image for it.

lol

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71544 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »

The new version of Dwarf Fortress squeeee :DD

I've been waiting the whole almost 11 months for this o3o
+everyone here  :P

++ :D
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71545 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:42 pm »

Man, this has pretty much been the best Valentine's Day ever. First, I get a new Homestuck album and notice that an arsenicCatnip shirt is on its way to me. Then, I get a special dinner: mushroom ravioli with garlic and szechuan pepper, with all the orange soda I can drink and a bottle of plum wine (something I've never tried before, and which is pretty much good), and some triple creme goat brie (which I didn't even know was a thing before, but it's like somebody took all my favorite words to describe cheese and made a thing out of them, and it's everything I ever wanted).

Goddamn, I am the best significant other I could ever have hoped for. I have so much in common with myself, and I always seem to know what my favorite things are - without even having to ask! Life is good.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71546 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

Knew my wife was a bit down that we're really too poor to do anything special for Valentine's this year. Made her think that I was totally okay with this turn of events by making dismissive comments about the whole thing.

Surprised her by showing up at her office with lunch (leftovers), a potted flower and a card.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71547 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:10 pm »

Yeah, it's great!  I'll probably finish debugging tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, I've still got more work to do tonight--two and a half make-up programming lectures to watch, and probably a lot of notes for either mathematics or English, plus some problem-solving for one of the math classes... and tomorrow's going to be really hard, too (all right, the next two or three weeks are gonna be really hard).  On the other hand, I feel like I'm suddenly starting to get some motivation back, so things are going well.

Probably going to try to learn something about 3d modeling, so it's back to sketching for me to learn more about what I should be paying attention to XD  Hell yes, applied mathematics?  ... Also, practicing/studying Japanese, Russian and German.  I'll get back to the other languages I want to learn when I haven't just come off of a bunch of shitty intro courses.

Oh, and I'm going through a lot of books, devouring the ones I like and tossing a surprisingly large number of uninteresting offerings, so I'm feeling a lot less stressed about the amount of stuff that I own.  It's not that much so far--only 10 books or something, I'd guess--but the rate has increased a hell of a lot in the past week or so, and I already have another stack of 6 books to send home.

I'd rather be reading interesting books, of course, and I do feel a bit bad about my dislike for some novels that are generally considered classics (example: Regeneration and The Secret Life of Bees, of which I read between 50 and 100 pages apiece, but ended up completely hating quite quickly)... but whatever.  Others can hate Moby Dick and The Scarlet Letter, and I can hate those other two novels all I want.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71548 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »

I should send you my copies of a bunch of James Bond novels. The sexism and racism are so thick, that a knife would be insufficient to cut them. I would recommend a machete. Don't actually use a machete on them, though, the physical forms of the books have a great deal of sentimental value.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71549 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »

Haha.

I was actually shocked by how much I disliked Regeneration, seeing as it's set in a psychiatric hospital in WWI (read: it's basically a novel about PTSD) and apparently has lots of homosexual/homosocial relationship/masculinity during war discussion, but somehow I feel that since the author was writing about a lot of real people from case notes and so on, she wasn't able to really establish the necessary closeness to the characters--I felt this even before I knew that this was Based On A True Story.  I can't say I enjoyed All Quiet on the Western Front or A Separate Peace (Catch-22, Cryptonomicon, and Slaughterhouse 5 were all great, but the first one gave me terrible nightmares) but there was something really brilliant about them.  This novel just felt deeply off, a bit too hero-worshippy of gaze on a man with little wisdom or clarity.  That, and Freudian symbolism is one thing, but it felt really heavy-handed and clumsy here.  Not even "of the period" heavy-handed, just "Well, this is cool so I'm gonna shoehorn it in here and hope the reader doesn't notice."  It's used as reliable data with no discussion whatsoever, as part of her general thematics, her way of introducing the reader to the characters, and we're supposed to take it at face value, this thing used to say things about people who were actually alive and so on.

And the thing is, I realize that I'm currently critiquing the hell out of a book I didn't finish and which ended up listed for the Booker Prize, but ... there's a reason why I don't read biographies of public figures or romans a clef, and this is it.  The writer is always too close or too far away from the topic at hand, and usually totally loses control over the material.

Pages: 1 ... 4768 4769 [4770] 4771 4772 ... 13325