Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4748 4749 [4750] 4751 4752 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771601 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71235 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »

I think what he means is that some part of the manufacturing process involves printing out the screen portion of the display, but otherwise is just like any other display.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71236 on: February 11, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »

The future is closer than you think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_electronics

I think what he means is that some part of the manufacturing process involves printing out the screen portion of the display, but otherwise is just like any other display.

I don't know the current state of the art, but the eventual goal is to produce displays and other electronic components just likes newspapers are produced today; by spraying or pressing the required patterns directly onto a substrate. Multilayer systems can be made just by going over the same substrate multiple types, which enables the deposition of, for example, the pixels and then TIO electrodes (or whatever is used in printers in it's place) to drive the pixels.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:36:07 pm by Virex »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71237 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:43 pm »

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71239 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »

Also this.

I don't know of any research groups that are working on combining 3D printing and printed electronics, but it would be an interesting idea to say the least. If conductive and semiconductor inks can be produced for domestic use it's certainly not out of the question that printing complete electronic devices would become possible.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #71240 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:10 pm »

Printable organs are sooo much cooler.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71241 on: February 11, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

Meh, 3D printers don't work with brass yet and plastic organs just sound bad... :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71242 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »

Meh, 3D printers don't work with brass yet and plastic organs just sound bad... :P

I beg to differ.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #71243 on: February 11, 2012, 08:47:38 pm »

No no... I'm talking about real biological tissue.  There's been very successful research on it for years.  Having trouble finding a good up-to-date link, though.  I have an engineer friend in Sunnyvale who recently joined one of those research projects.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71244 on: February 11, 2012, 08:55:57 pm »

I knew about 3d printers, but I have only seen a total of one of those in my life. Printable electronics is just... amazing. Thank you, technology.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71245 on: February 11, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »

Your welcome freeform, we had a lot of fun doing it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71246 on: February 11, 2012, 09:02:36 pm »

In 20 years we'll be surprised by the stuff we don't have right now. For example, I'm currently reading up on ways to produce hydrogen and oxygen directly from water using nothing more than sunlight, which is a field that's picking up steam currently (the amount of papers related to it has been rising exponentially since 1990 for example). Another interesting statistic is that solar energy is slated to become cheaper than grid energy from fossil fuels by 2015 for production in southern Europe and by 2025 the range where it can be produced under grid price will have shifted to Denmark.

Also note that the development cycle of any novel technology is long. From the first inception to commercial products can easily take 30 to 50 years. for example, the plasma display was originally invented in the '60 and the LCD display as well. It took until roughly 2000 for those technologies to become commercially available.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:06:08 pm by Virex »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #71247 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »

I knew about 3d printers, but I have only seen a total of one of those in my life. Printable electronics is just... amazing. Thank you, technology.
I've worked with a 3-d printer, as part of a manufacturing and product design course. Making balsa wood cars to use CO2 canisters to propel them as part of a competition.

3-d printers are very awesome, I agree.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71248 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:15 pm »

In 20 years we'll be surprised by the stuff we don't have right now. For example, I'm currently reading up on ways to produce hydrogen and oxygen directly from water using nothing more than sunlight, which is a field that's picking up steam currently (the amount of papers related to it has been rising exponentially since 1990 for example).

I lol'd. Nearly made my day.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71249 on: February 11, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

In 20 years we'll be surprised by the stuff we don't have right now. For example, I'm currently reading up on ways to produce hydrogen and oxygen directly from water using nothing more than sunlight, which is a field that's picking up steam currently (the amount of papers related to it has been rising exponentially since 1990 for example).

I lol'd. Nearly made my day.

I did too. Almost sigged, but I just changed my sig.

Also, I have a chess piece I made in a 3d modeling program for a class then got from my school's 3d printer... stored somewhere. It's very nice looking.

The school's 3d scanner, on the other hand, costed thousands of dollars and would consistently produce terrible results.
Pages: 1 ... 4748 4749 [4750] 4751 4752 ... 13325