Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4708 4709 [4710] 4711 4712 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15769111 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #70635 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:01 pm »

Now i'm intrigued. My mathematical skills are roughly an average eighteen year old's level.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70636 on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:07 pm »

If the class is only in its third week, no way they have touched on logic programming yet, ruling out things like chain connection problems...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70637 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

Yeah, come on, *poke poke*

Did it have to do with infinite loops?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70638 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »

Na, she said recursion... It could be getting keyboard input with error handling, and the response in case of an exception is to call the same method.

EDIT: Wait! I got it! Fibonacci, right?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #70639 on: February 03, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »

Sounds like it was probably a problem intended to make students miss the forest due to all the trees in the way. Most will think "how can I optimally implement the solution to this problem" rather than "what is an easier but mathematically isomorphic problem I can solve." As a side note, employers love these sorts of problems as they separate those with excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills from the rest.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:37:50 pm by alway »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70640 on: February 03, 2012, 11:52:01 pm »

>_____________________________>

They couldn't figure out how to put two lists together into one list ("Extend," or append if you're not doing Python), given a framework that only popped stuff off from the left and would only add things to the right.  It didn't exactly take much thought... I just spent a few minutes thinking about zippers, which is what I usually do when I need to solve recursion problems.  And furthermore, I don't know why they had so dang much trouble with it.  Forests?  Trees?  ... No, zippers...

Most will think "how can I optimally implement the solution to this problem" rather than "what is an easier but mathematically isomorphic problem I can solve."

Oddly enough, I actually don't think much about either of these.  First I draw a mental picture, and then I rearrange the picture until it's neat and tidy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70641 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »

Oh, well that isn't so bad... I'm sort of ashamed for the rest of your class not getting it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70642 on: February 03, 2012, 11:58:15 pm »

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely just merging the two would work?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70643 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:20 am »

And this is why I spend so much time saying they're fucking morons.

Merging the two isn't going to work because, well, we know almost no commands right now outside of basic mathematical function stuff and how to recurse, and the point was learning how to implement an abstract data type (something else that was throwing them off, I imagine--like I said, the problem is an inherent lack of mental flexibility).  We did Fibonacci more than a week ago.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70644 on: February 04, 2012, 12:08:45 am »

If they can't handle abstract data types then come real objects I think you will be the only one still swimming Vector.
Makes me smile to think that Prof. Fruitcakes had no faith in you, and you are going to be the one setting the fucking curve.

Because if there is one thing the industry needs, it is more discrimination against woman⸮

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #70645 on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:51 am »

Alternatively, he merely sees all students as morons until they can prove otherwise.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #70646 on: February 04, 2012, 12:45:33 am »

Listening to Drawing Dead, sipping a glass of cheap yet delicious shiraz, reading a discussion about scholarly activities on this forum. This night, it has become what can only be described as "classy as fuck".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #70647 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:58 am »

So I was the only person in my entire 400-person-seating lecture hall who could answer a certain computer science question, even after five minutes of group discussion.  Verily, the professor did look taken aback, and said: "That's amazing," and the masses did begin applauding and whistling, and did not stop for well nigh thirty seconds.

It is a matter of fortune alone that the relater of this tale, that beautiful and brilliant young mathematician, has managed to keep her modest mien.  She is so fucking humble today <3

I had one moment like that in my college career.  It was near the end and not nearly so many people, but still felt amazing...  especially since it was a room full of graduate students and I was undergrad, and I got two rounds of applause:  once for the work itself, and then again when I excused myself because I was late getting home to my kids ("Holy shit you did this while raising kids?"  *whole room applauds again*). 

You're probably going to get many more of these.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70648 on: February 04, 2012, 02:00:13 am »

You're too nice.  I hope so.  I really hope so.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70649 on: February 04, 2012, 02:31:50 am »

Currently playing Bullfrogs Magic Carpet.
All of my nostalgia!

Such an awesome game.
Pages: 1 ... 4708 4709 [4710] 4711 4712 ... 13325