Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4643 4644 [4645] 4646 4647 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15754165 times)

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #69660 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:03 pm »

My writer's block is gone and I'm finally figuring out how to use the bloody Military screen on 2010.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69661 on: January 21, 2012, 04:08:02 pm »

They were playing music from the Amelie and Inception soundtracks in the dining hall today :D
I keep hearing good things about Inception, I'll have to watch it sometime.

Now I'm listening to the Amelie soundtrack. I really did not to remember it at all.

EDIT:
Youtube hopping led me to this.

It is as the French pimps say, le shit.

EDIT2:
Look what else that kid did!
It's a little rough in places but still, squeeeeeeee!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:38:14 pm by Pnx »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #69662 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »

Inception? Yeah it's pretty good. (no spoilers there don't worry)
In fact i found the movie quite enjoyable. And somewhat mindscrewy. Worth the watch if you ask me.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69663 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »

I really liked Inception, but I didn't find it as mind-blowing as many people did.  Honestly, I think the whole "dreams are so deep" thing is rather cliche, and the film didn't even capture a very genuinely dream-like aesthetic.  Still a great movie... just a bit over-hyped.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69664 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:08 pm »

The thing that bugs me about Christopher Nolan movies in general is that they're supposed to be so deep and incomprehensible and cool and about MEMORY and TIME bluh bluh bluh, and then for me at least, I watch it once and I've got it.  So then, it's really weird whenever I watch them with other people, and they're like "Oh haha isn't it so incomprehensible aren't we so smart for understanding the main thrust of the plot."  It's just... yeah, awkward.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69665 on: January 21, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »

I will go even deeper further and say that it bothers me about all the people who feel averted because of people saying "it's so complicated" and they act so 'smart' because they understood it their first time when it essence it's a fucking film which are never even that THOUGHT-PROVOKING anyway.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69666 on: January 21, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »

Doesn't really bother me too much. It's when there is explicitly bad writing trying to be passed off as good thought-provoking crap that I get a little peeved. For a good number of artsy movies that is pretty much what is going on, just a bunch of pretty imagery and nonsense phrases. And they usually have some good elements wasted by adding some terrible elements to it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69667 on: January 21, 2012, 05:33:45 pm »

I will go even deeper further and say that it bothers me about all the people who feel averted because of people saying "it's so complicated" and they act so 'smart' because they understood it their first time when it essence it's a fucking film which are never even that THOUGHT-PROVOKING anyway.
Ummm... There are thought-provoking movies out there.  It's never a good idea to spread a blanket statement over an entire genre or media form, what you're saying is like saying that every rap song has swearing and disrespect to women in it.  While, yes, the majority in this day and age do contain that, that is not what the entire genre contains, although it may seem like that sometimes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69668 on: January 21, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »

Woah that's a bit surprising.  I didn't think making a statement like that would have somebody motivated enough to give me kind words!  :]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69669 on: January 21, 2012, 05:37:45 pm »

Meh... just because you understand a movie easily doesn't mean it's not 'deep'.  If anything, it's a credit to the skill of the storyteller when they are able to effectively communicate complex ideas.  Then there are fridge logic elements to many great movies that get peeled away over time as you ponder them, even after you understood the plot and its messages in one easy viewing.

Memento, for instance, wasn't deep for being incomprehensible.  It was deep for taking us on a journey through a completely different experience of life, that is supposedly quite accurate to what many people actually experience, plus a very fresh cast of characters and spin on the old amnesia plot trope.  Finally, a very fine flavor of existential-ethical dread to the final wrap up.

Edit:  Compare to Inception which only really had three things:  An interesting premise (even if it wasn't very much explored, IMO), a lot of cool imagery, and the incredibly cliche "Whoa.  Which parts were dream and which were real?!"  (Yes, I could have told you five minutes into the movie that it would end on a punctuation of that exact question)

Edit Edit:  On a related note, I saw the 2011 Sleeping Beauty lastnight.  I honestly have no idea what to think about it.  Much of it was deeply unsettling.  I could tell what concepts many of the scenes were supposed to get me thinking about, but... the presentation was so neutral and dry that whatever thinking it provoked was completely unproductive.  Pure enigma.  I want to say that I liked it.  It felt profound.  It felt like it tried to be profound.  But I couldn't really describe what the profoundness was, besides its boldness.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:57:51 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69670 on: January 21, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »

Yeah I never got what was so deep and complex about Inception, it was a cool action movie with a rather nice idea that was extremely good in its execution.

And talking about movies, that ancient thing that has both Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee starring in it is on right now, nothing like some good old fashioned martial arts movies.

Alsorandom BANAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! video :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69671 on: January 21, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

Yeah, I stuck my foot in my mouth.

For information's sake, I own both Memento and Inception.  I really like those movies.  I think they're great, well-made, interesting movies.  I just don't like watching them with other people, because much like I don't enjoy the inevitable "blue dongs and haha, you remind me of Rorschach" discussion after seeing Watchmen with someone, I also don't enjoy the "let's get up to snuff on mechanics and use this opportunity to make others feel bad" discussion, much as I don't enjoy the "let's look at all of the things that were factually wrong/stupid or imperfect worldbuilding" just after reading Harry Potter.  They're the easy nitpicks, the easy social opportunities to say something without saying anything, and they really drive me bonkers, like when someone makes fun of my stutter or similar instead of actually discussing whatever about me is bothering them.  They're easy ways to deflect, engage, and make yourself look good.  They're all ways of cutting down what you see rather than positioning it in a good light, rather than continuing to enjoy it.

Maybe this is all a long way to say that I'm socially exhausted, which I hadn't really known yet.  Sorry.  My roommate is wearing me out, one of my math classes is absolutely full to the brim with jerks, and I had a girl really try to eat me alive last Saturday.  And I guess I'm kind of lonely, in that "need to talk but can't communicate" sort of way, kind of like I end up hungry but can't force myself to eat enough right now.  The way I talk about myself is by talking about what I know and what I want to find out, but there's no one there to do that with.  I wear people out.  One of my only friends here didn't even say hello with his eyes when I saw him the elevator the other day.  On the other hand, he was talking about model theory avidly, so I guess that it was pretty fair.

tl;dr: I'm stupid, ignore me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69672 on: January 21, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »

Well yeah you are stupid for saying there is no merit for discussing floppy blue dongs. That be crazy talk.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69673 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »

I just don't like watching them with other people, because much like I don't enjoy the inevitable "blue dongs and haha, you remind me of Rorschach" discussion after seeing Watchmen with someone, I also don't enjoy the "let's get up to snuff on mechanics and use this opportunity to make others feel bad" discussion, much as I don't enjoy the "let's look at all of the things that were factually wrong/stupid or imperfect worldbuilding" just after reading Harry Potter.

FWIW, these things annoy me as well.

I guess I'm right with you in that I'm not criticizing Nolan's work so much as the reactions his work tends to produce in people.

Happy Nolan thought:  I'm super excited about the next Batman film.  My interpretation of this incarnation of Batman has been way different from most people's, and it looks like the final film is fully poised to tackle all of the themes that they've so far only edged around.  I've also grown fond of Anne Hathaway and think she'll be a pretty amazing Catwoman.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69674 on: January 21, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »

Maybe this is all a long way to say that I'm socially exhausted, which I hadn't really known yet.  Sorry.  My roommate is wearing me out, one of my math classes is absolutely full to the brim with jerks, and I had a girl really try to eat me alive last Saturday.  And I guess I'm kind of lonely, in that "need to talk but can't communicate" sort of way, kind of like I end up hungry but can't force myself to eat enough right now.  The way I talk about myself is by talking about what I know and what I want to find out, but there's no one there to do that with.  I wear people out.  One of my only friends here didn't even say hello with his eyes when I saw him the elevator the other day.  On the other hand, he was talking about model theory avidly, so I guess that it was pretty fair.

tl;dr: I'm stupid, ignore me.
You're not being stupid, it's perfectly legitimate.  You said that you needed to talk but can't communicate, well, you're communicating right now, and that's a good first step.  I know how you feel to a certain extent, I can't claim that I have had any majorly bad experiences in my life, but I am familiar with the feelings that you're describing.  It will pass, in the meantime, have you tried cheering yourself up a bit yet?  I usually find when I'm like that that listening to music, particularly stuff by the Barenaked Ladies and Presidents of the United States of America helps me.  That's just a temporary situation though.  So what if your friend didn't say hello once since he was engrossed in conversation?  I've done the exact same thing before:worry over a simple thing like that while already in a mood similar to the one you're having.  You know what?  The next day they did say hello.  Once doesn't mean anything. 
So what if your math class is full of jerks.  I know that this advice is handed out so much that it's almost meaningless, heck I even ignore it myself sometimes, but: IGNORE THEM.  I don't know exactly how they're jerks, but what I can say is that their opinion does not matter.  Think about this, if you've been in a situation like this before, think about how much their opinion then would matter now if you had ignored them.  The answer is probably going to be zero, zip, zilch, nada, cero, absolutely frigging nothing. 
If you need someone to talk to I'm here and I'm sure there's a bunch of other people here that you probably know better than me who would be willing to listen to.  Not Duke2.0 though, ignore him. 

Pages: 1 ... 4643 4644 [4645] 4646 4647 ... 13325