Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4628 4629 [4630] 4631 4632 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15745379 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #69435 on: January 16, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »

This comic. Pretty much what I needed just now.
That is... everything I've been trying to say, but couldn't quite articulate, to a friend who's been breaking down a lot over basically the same thing. I really do love Subnormality sometimes.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69436 on: January 16, 2012, 02:34:59 pm »

That's a very wordy comic.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69437 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »

It's really heavy on the text, I got about halfway through the comic before I went, "TLDR."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69438 on: January 16, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

Oh man, I finally got Emerald working on my Ubuntu installation. The final stumbling block I was aware of has been overcome, so now I'll just have to deal with the ones I do not yet know of. Probably by Wednesday all that will remain to work on is the desktop wallpaper, but at least I already know how to do that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #69439 on: January 16, 2012, 04:01:32 pm »

i wanted to kick the dog out to let her pee, but then i though meh i will walk her
so i went outside (21:30, dark and snow) and heard some people talk so i turn of my light whent in silent mode
and walked slowly there way, they heard the dog and me,  and stared running..... stupid illegal hunters...
loser Poachers running away from me hehehe

lucky i  did not kick the dog out alone  cause then there would be a big change she  would got shot   :(
see likes to run around the forrest here and in the fields  for like 45 minuts before she come's back normaly

this is the second time  in 2 months
last time i was walking the dog and they shined a fucking big light on the field were i was walking  right in my face
they kill a lot of dog this way here.. thinking its a wild pig and small deer or are just very drunk and dont care....
its a shame i cant have guns  and shoot people  sometimes :-\
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69440 on: January 16, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »

Why is that in the happy thread?

Also, I noticed something about Far Cry 2's story that, if it's intentional, makes it pretty impressive for a video game story.  I don't want to say it's like Apocalypse Now in Africa because that's like saying a game is like Saints Row in Liberty City, but...

You're a mercenary hired to kill the Jackal, who is very obviously a Kurtz figure.  He's seen what Man is capable of and it's driven him insane.  Specifically, he's an arms dealer who actively works to incite and prolong conflicts in Africa so he can profit from them.  When it's over he buys the guns back and does it again somewhere else.  He also leaves tapes ruminating about stuff and you spend the entire game looking forward to finally meeting him and wondering if you can really go through with killing him, just like Kurtz.

The Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now parallels are obvious, those aren't what I noticed.  What I noticed was that it has the same "Human conflict is absurd" motif that Apocalypse Now has.  You've been hired to kill a guy who starts wars and profits off of the suffering of innocents, and in the process of chasing him down you do the exact same fucking thing.  You play two factions against each other, in the process you destroy freshwater pipelines, blow up medicine and foreign aid shipments, kill people only tangentially related to your mission, and in general cause a whole lot of havoc.  The protagonist is every bit as evil as the antagonist.

That's deep shit for a video game, man.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69441 on: January 16, 2012, 06:54:05 pm »

The Witcher has made me realize that I want to go exploring outside and learn some survival skills.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.

On the other hand, I now suck much, much less at Metal Gear, which was not something I was expecting to happen.  The VR missions seem incredibly stupid but since I started dicking around in them, I've gotten much better at the game in general.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69442 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:48 pm »

MGS1? Still got it on my PSX. :D

Love that game...

And Vector (tempted to call you Vex, as Knuckles does to Vector the Crocodile in Awesome Chaotix), survival skills are pretty easy to come by.

Just live in australia, where animals try to kill you on a daily basis.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69443 on: January 16, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »

Did you have to box kangaroos on your way to school every day?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69444 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:43 pm »

Just live in australia, where animals try to kill you on a daily basis.
If you want to learn survival skills, Australia is the place for you. Just don't mess with the wombats.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69445 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

All the time.

(Well not really. I used to go walking in Churchill National Park which is somewhat close to my house. Grumpy kangaroos abound there.)

And PNX, wombats can be somewhat dangerous. If you corner them they barrel into you at 40km/h. Yes, those stumpy little creatures can move that fast. Often nothing more than a broken bone from that though.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #69446 on: January 16, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »

Why is that in the happy thread?

because i am happy i  scared them away :)
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69447 on: January 16, 2012, 10:45:57 pm »

Spam post in SOPA victory thread perfectly placed. I am laughing quite hard right now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69448 on: January 16, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »

Spam post in SOPA victory thread perfectly placed. I am laughing quite hard right now.
Gotta love the bots that come with comedic timing modules.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69449 on: January 16, 2012, 10:56:52 pm »

Gotta love the bots that come with comedic timing modules.
Aaaah, that spambot just about made my day
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 4628 4629 [4630] 4631 4632 ... 13325