Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4592 4593 [4594] 4595 4596 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788353 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #68895 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »

Jesus, Truean....you could have told them to send it to me! I'd be happy to not take part in that case for $100K.  :P

@Darvi: Uhhh...is that a game, or we talking about an actual coven?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68896 on: January 06, 2012, 04:45:06 pm »

I guess it would have been unethical to take the money and just say "thanks for the free money, now I have the resources to fight you that much harder."

I've always wondered, is this the case? Does it still count as taking a bribe if you don't do what they gave you the money to do?

Also, Truean, you are simply the most awesome there is. I love you and everything you stand for. I may disagree with you sometimes, but I fucking love you. ^_^

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68897 on: January 06, 2012, 04:46:02 pm »

@Darvi: Uhhh...is that a game, or we talking about an actual coven?
A game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68898 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:18 pm »

I guess it would have been unethical to take the money and just say "thanks for the free money, now I have the resources to fight you that much harder."

I've always wondered, is this the case? Does it still count as taking a bribe if you don't do what they gave you the money to do?

Even though it's highly unethical by itself to accept a bribe, I'd imagine it kind of... I don't know.

Might make the briber unreasonably angry, to say the least.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68899 on: January 06, 2012, 04:50:49 pm »

I get the feeling that there was no way to refuse the responsibility for the money. At best you can have some evidence that you turned it in to the police in case any slimy guys in suits with a few thugs behind them confront you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68900 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »

Well really, it's not like they *gave* her the money. It just mysteriously happened to show up where she'd be sure to find it. So she reported a lost briefcase with 100 grand in it to the authorities like any good public citizen would do. If someone were to demonstrate an unhealthy interest in locating the money, I'm sure she can put them in touch with the police, who would be quite interested to know how it wound up lost in the first place.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #68901 on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:35 pm »

If it really is "found cash", then after a sufficient waiting period I think the finder does get the money back (minus taxes of course). But that might vary by state.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68902 on: January 06, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »

I dunno how far "I turned it in to the police" would fare on some goons asking why she didn't fulfill her side of the 'agreement.'
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68903 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

Even if you were to argue that it was just a gift I thought there were limits on the giving of money without there being tax implications or similar.

Truean: What kind of expression were the police officers wearing when you opened the case?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68904 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »

I am a complete idiot. I'm a complete fucking idiot....

Yes you are. You should have taken the money and not held up your end of the "deal." They wouldn't be able to say anything about it without revealing that they tried to bribe you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68905 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:17 pm »

I dunno how far "I turned it in to the police" would fare on some goons asking why she didn't fulfill her side of the 'agreement.'

How about "I turned it in to the police, and they're monitoring me right now. If anything happens to me, they will know exactly who to come after and will have the evidence to make the charges stick. Now get the fuck out of my office. Oh, and close the door on the way out--it gets drafty this time of year"?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68906 on: January 06, 2012, 05:52:37 pm »

I am a complete idiot. I'm a complete fucking idiot....

Yes you are. You should have taken the money and not held up your end of the "deal." They wouldn't be able to say anything about it without revealing that they tried to bribe you.
I dunno, I imagine anybody with 100 grand to throw around casually bribing people could arrange for her to be "randomly" audited, and while the money might be tax free, I'm sure somebody sufficiently clever could come up with a spiel about somebody else attempting a bribe (possibly in an unrelated case) if that information ever became public. You don't even really need to prove anything about this particular case in a legal sense, just make it start to seem plausible that Truean is the sort to take bribes and then every subsequent event, no matter how innocent, will be read in that light.

I don't know the details of the law here (Truean would know better than I, obviously), but I expect that there are ways to get to "This person accepts bribes" without having to say "And I know because she took my money", as long as you take sufficient care to make the right information public. If nothing else, it seems far too obvious to take the money and not do anything for the briber for that to be an option so rarely taken.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #68907 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »

You know how every time you visit amazon.com and you see those dumbass item suggestions for stuff you already own?

I didn't get one the other day, and I actually bought a pound of dice because of it. Now I have to go buy a bottle of crown royal so I can have a felt bag to put my dice in.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68908 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:47 pm »

Ontop of me feeling pretty damn good and proactive about life lately and making some good steps in the right direction today with my Job thread, I also, on a whim, decided to start a livestream account.

http://www.livestream.com/joshuafhtv

I might be streaming for a few minutes before I head off to bed, if anyone wants to say hi. I might use it in the future for videogame related stuff, just for recreation.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #68909 on: January 06, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »

How fucked up is it that I was more concerned about who else in my office figured out I was gay/trans if the secretary did, than this for a while? It would explain a lot actually if they were trying to get me to quit because of it, the lack of appreciation/money, the sending me on "unwinnable" suicide cases I somehow manage to win anyway enough of the time.... I'm still not sure how exactly she figured it out, because I thought I was more careful than that.... I only posted it in the happy thread because of what she said to me about it.

I like you Nadaka, but 100 grand doesn't just happen to show up in a case like that. "Found Cash" it isn't. Bribe. Also there was a bank withdraw slip with nothing written on it. The world "withdraw" in the withdraw slip title was underlined twice and circled.... Otherwise there were no markings.

Upon searching defendant's name in Clerk of Courts records, they have been sued locally 3 times before  and each time the opposing counsel seems to have withdrawn.... None of these lawyers have turned over money to police.... Either its just cheaper to bribe the lawyers away or the other lawyers know something I don't. It could be something as simple as not wanting people to dig around and find expensive legal/financial/regulatory violations, or worse, who knows. Either way, fuck.... Fuuuuuck....

It should be completely obvious that keeping the money is probably bait for a trap. No matter what I would do from that point on its bad, just in varying flavors and degrees of bad. If they're both able and corrupt enough for 100 grand bribes, then what else will they do? You find your enemy's weakness and exploit it. They thought mine was greed, which is a common one. They misread me; mine are pride and wrath. It also hasn't escaped me they might try something; it wouldn't be the first time someone has. Ex husbands and criminal defendants tend to be the ones to try this route. Kevlar vests suck and I don't get paid enough for this shit. Why o why am I seriously considering changing jobs?

I only gave it to an officer I know and trust, because I've been up against enough of the bad cops. His jaw dropped open and he offered to buy me a drink.11 more pictures like that and I've got a calendar. I kept the container it came in and dropped it off at opposing counsel's office with duplicate pictures of the money in a police evidence locker.... Assuming it doesn't come back on me, I'd love to see his face when he opens that case.

Now to pay the rent with ethics and not get shot in the ass!

P.S. This is yet another reason the state should pay lawyers and pay them well, so they won't be tempted by stuff like this. I didn't keep that money; I did want to for a second there (tell me honestly that you wouldn't think about it for a minute).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:44:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 4592 4593 [4594] 4595 4596 ... 13325