Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4073 4074 [4075] 4076 4077 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15753000 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: [Who?] Things you mistook for someone today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #61110 on: August 31, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »

First real day of college.

Hopy shit what is this place called home what is this thing I have for four hours now only called free time what what

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61111 on: August 31, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »

The endgame boss rush of Final Fantasy 6 is probably the most creative final boss in the entire series, and it gets complicated before you even start fighting.  You come in with up to twelve characters, and have to arrange them in order - the fight goes in four stages, and any character that's knocked out at the end of the stage gets replaced with the next character in the list for the next stage.  And every stage loves to blow the crap out of at least one character when dying.  It gets even better, because only gives you enough top-tier equipment to make about six characters invulnerable (the most useful six, at least), but the dungeon right before it all but encourages swapping equipment around between the three groups that you bring characters in.

And of course, the game doesn't tell you any of this, so if you just walk right into the big cutscene, you're likely to face the final boss with a slapdash party with no equipment.  At least there's a save point right before the end.

Why Happy you ask?  Because this game is awesome, and the ending is awesome and requires some strategy.  Every dungeon before the end gets pretty trivial by the time you finish them.  The final dungeon is a noticeable step up in threat when you get to it, but you master it fairly quickly.  The "mini"bosses before the end should be serious challenges, but gimmicky party builds and nukespam can stomp the crap out of all of them (it's almost trivially easy to beat the mighty Guardian in seven hits).  But Kefka's tower of power is good enough to nullify even those tricks if you're not careful.  It's a worth end to a worthy game and I love seeing it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61112 on: August 31, 2011, 07:05:53 pm »

Of course, you could still be a drunken accident, if there was some wild party at the beginning of December.  Maybe a wild and drunken Thanksgiving?
While Australians do not have a celebratory giving of thanks, we don't need a reason for drunken celebrations either.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61113 on: August 31, 2011, 07:12:27 pm »

It's my birthday today.

I'll be stopping by later today to slap your parents. You have my best regards Max.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61114 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »

The endgame boss rush of Final Fantasy 6 is probably the most creative final boss in the entire series, and it gets complicated before you even start fighting.  You come in with up to twelve characters, and have to arrange them in order - the fight goes in four stages, and any character that's knocked out at the end of the stage gets replaced with the next character in the list for the next stage.  And every stage loves to blow the crap out of at least one character when dying.  It gets even better, because only gives you enough top-tier equipment to make about six characters invulnerable (the most useful six, at least), but the dungeon right before it all but encourages swapping equipment around between the three groups that you bring characters in.

And of course, the game doesn't tell you any of this, so if you just walk right into the big cutscene, you're likely to face the final boss with a slapdash party with no equipment.  At least there's a save point right before the end.

Why Happy you ask?  Because this game is awesome, and the ending is awesome and requires some strategy.  Every dungeon before the end gets pretty trivial by the time you finish them.  The final dungeon is a noticeable step up in threat when you get to it, but you master it fairly quickly.  The "mini"bosses before the end should be serious challenges, but gimmicky party builds and nukespam can stomp the crap out of all of them (it's almost trivially easy to beat the mighty Guardian in seven hits).  But Kefka's tower of power is good enough to nullify even those tricks if you're not careful.  It's a worth end to a worthy game and I love seeing it.
Unfortunately, you've probably only seen half of it.

The big problem with FF6 (especially the latter half of the game) is stuff dies way too fast. Kefka has 6 different attack states, for example, and you'll rarely ever see some of them because the health range he has to be in for them to be active is so small (literally a few thousand hp). My guess is the designers wanted people to be able to beat it without doing all the optional dungeons, and IMO they erred too far on the side of easy.

Last year I did a low level run (not a minimal level challenge, but just skipping my normal level up tricks and generally avoiding as many random battles as possible). Kefka's tower destroyed me several times. I didn't even know that Atma (guardian of the save point in the jail cells) could cast Ultima, but he nuked my party with it after not killing him fast enough.

It's an impressive end game, but much better if you make it a bit harder for yourself.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61115 on: August 31, 2011, 07:27:28 pm »

I got a cute flower-print cloth bandage and now I don't have to deal with annoying gauze and medical tape~~
Also just a good day, in general~
Aced a test for statistics and tap-danced across the stage in drama~

It's my birthday today.

~ DELICIOUS CAKE ~

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #61116 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:24 pm »

Aced a test for statistics and tap-danced across the stage in drama~

Wow, that sounds nice, personally I'm close to my economy breaking but I just found out I might be 300dkk richer than first expected! My economy seems like I might stay in a good wave despite being only just above the homeless in the danish class spectrum.

All due to my own ability to not screw around :I <3

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61117 on: August 31, 2011, 07:46:34 pm »

Unfortunately, you've probably only seen half of it.

The big problem with FF6 (especially the latter half of the game) is stuff dies way too fast. Kefka has 6 different attack states, for example, and you'll rarely ever see some of them because the health range he has to be in for them to be active is so small (literally a few thousand hp). My guess is the designers wanted people to be able to beat it without doing all the optional dungeons, and IMO they erred too far on the side of easy.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of that.  My early attempts at the game, when I didn't know any better than to just power through with "Optimum" equipment and so forth, I saw lots of the game's tricks.  And for everything else, there's a great LP that just wrapped up recently that got me to play through again.

You are right though.  In the final dungeon alone, there's six minibosses (odd that Goddesses of Magic would count as minibosses, but they do) and the two dragons before you even get to Kefka.  They all have wacky battle scripts they fire off after they take enough damage or enough time passes, to launch really nasty combo attacks and such.  I think Doom was the only one that lived long enough to fire it off.  Like the Guardian, who has the most HP of a single enemy save Kefka himself, any combination of your four mages, Sabin, Locke, and Gogo, with a Gem Box and a Bum Rush or two, could kill the thing in a single round.  And I'm not even really grinding, the whole party is between level 39 and 42.

That's why I think Kefka is such a great ending, because it doesn't really matter how great your party is - the whole fight is basically a fast game of Instant Death Roulette.  It's like the developers knew how easy the game is to break (even more so than the bugs make it), so they made a final boss that gives no shits about powerlevelling.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61118 on: August 31, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »

It's my birthday today.
Happy Birthday Max. Have fun.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61119 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »

103 year old woman celebrated on CNN for still driving and had a shoutout fromBased God.

They apologized for the mistake. I say this was CNNs greatest achievement.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61120 on: August 31, 2011, 09:57:50 pm »

Classes finally start tomorrow. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61121 on: August 31, 2011, 10:21:36 pm »

I got a good laugh out of a license plate that said "NEED MAP"

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61122 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »

103 year old woman celebrated on CNN for still driving and had a shoutout fromBased God.

They apologized for the mistake. I say this was CNNs greatest achievement.
By the S-word they mean "swag" right.
All I have to say is "damn son, Where'd they find this"
Thank you based dwarf.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61123 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:07 pm »

Alright, brain. I seem to have all this crap you've been telling me is impossible under control. This whole "life" thing? I got this.

Who the hell do I think I am, anyway?

This post brought to you by what is probably an ultimately minor sense of confidence I have today, for no apparent reason
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61124 on: August 31, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »

Made some progress in Galactic Civilizations with AOE2 music playing instead of silence in the background. Oddly fitting, despite the theme difference. Mind you, I've been playing the Trade Federation's campaign to these tunes.

Also solved Tranquility Lane (Fallout 3) faster than I expected on my first time run.
Pages: 1 ... 4073 4074 [4075] 4076 4077 ... 13325