Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15754024 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: [Headpants!] Things you wore on your head today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #53520 on: June 11, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »

I am now in pain from laughter. Even though it could be fake, I'm still going to laugh.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53521 on: June 11, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

Why would one word mean both "dried" and "fucks", in such a way that the "fucks" translation isn't obviously vulgar and incorrect?

And therein lies the glory of Chinglish. Because the grammar structures are so different, most cheap translation software tries to fit the words into a standard English pattern based on word order. There's no "the" in Mandarin. And there's no verb conjugation or tense. The literal translation of the characters in order would be "shrimp dry fry white vegetable". "white vegetable", baicai is the word for Chinese cabbage (in Cantonese it becomes bok choy, which is the more familiar name in the West).

So the program goes "The shrimp...hmm, got the noun, need a verb. Next character is a verb--fuck. Now we need an object. The Cabbage."

Gan has about twenty different meanings, one of which is "to do". Which has been appropriated into vernacular Chinese (as in English) as a euphemism for "fuck". So perhaps a slightly more accurate (though still incorrect) translation would be "The shrimp does the fried cabbage."

@Angel: It's real. For whatever reason, this particular verb substitution is rampant in Chinglish. My guess is that there's one or two cheap-ass translation softwares out there that use this word mapping and are probably available on pirated CDs in every street market from Shanghai to Tibet. It's pretty common for merchants (and hell...the government itself) to just run the Chinese characters through a translator, print out whatever comes out and stick that up without ever verifying accuracy. Beijing had to spend millions of dollars and a small army of volunteers to scour the streets of Beijing looking for bad and/or embarassing translations before the 2008 Olympics. Ditto Shanghai and the 2010 Expo.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53522 on: June 11, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »

Why would one word mean both "dried" and "fucks", in such a way that the "fucks" translation isn't obviously vulgar and incorrect?

The Japanese word for penis literally translates as rare halberd.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53523 on: June 11, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »

Gan has about twenty different meanings, one of which is "to do". Which has been appropriated into vernacular Chinese (as in English) as a euphemism for "fuck". So perhaps a slightly more accurate (though still incorrect) translation would be "The shrimp does the fried cabbage."

Ah, okay, makes perfect sense.  Variations of "do" and "is" and other general action verbs across languages seems to be the most common source of such confusion.  Spanish is full of them too, which isn't helped by English and Spanish and the rest of Europe directly loaning words to each other and then making up new contextual definitions.  You'd think stuff like "to do" would be pretty universal.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53524 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »

One of the root problems with Chinese is that there's a maximum of 413 phonemes (without tones) and about 1600 with tones. So you have to squeeze the entirety of a spoken language out of roughly 1600 possible words. Not sounds, words.  Which means a lot of reusing the same spoken word for numerous things. And complicates the hell of trying to agglutinate words like German. When the Germans need to "build" a new word, they can just make one really long word that tells you exactly what the new word means. If you do that in Chinese, you just increase the number of possible meanings that the word could have.

It's a wonderful, beautiful, abso-motherfuckin'-lutely insane language.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53525 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »

So i started watching Game of Thrones, a really great show, i don't remember the last time (Firefly) it took a show only two episodes to get me this involved and stir so many different emotions, from cheering to pure hate, i just hope they keep up the great work :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53526 on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:19 pm »

Almost crying with laughter after reading through the Metal Gear thread in Other Games and reading the comic Darvi posted about using a Cigar to cure wounds. It's just brilliant.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53527 on: June 11, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »

I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 like right after waking up today.  It was very good, the art design and flow was amazing.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53528 on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »

I've decided to play touhou. all of them, from the beginning.
God have mercy on my soul.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53529 on: June 11, 2011, 06:45:04 pm »

Turned out we got to play gurps after all, yesturday turned out bad for it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #53530 on: June 11, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

Ran another session of gurps. Bread nightmares and bread gags. And underwear, bound cultists, and intrigue. It's been kinda fun.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #53531 on: June 11, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »

Game was fun, Idiots were banned and cookies wine and rootbeer were consumed.

Good day so far :3
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53532 on: June 11, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

Ran another session of gurps. Bread nightmares and bread gags. And underwear, bound cultists, and intrigue. It's been kinda fun.

Heh...reminds me of an old Ars Magica game I was in where one of the characters took the disadvantage that all his spells needed a focus in order to cast (wands, gems, rare ingredients, etc.)

His focus category? Cheese. We laughed until he came up with the Ignem Fulgens d'Limburg.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #53533 on: June 11, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »

Heh...reminds me of an old Ars Magica game I was in where one of the characters took the disadvantage that all his spells needed a focus in order to cast (wands, gems, rare ingredients, etc.)

His focus category? Cheese. We laughed until he came up with the Ignem Fulgens d'Limburg.
He lit the cheese on fire and threw it at the enemy?

I got Fallout 3 today! Hooray!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53534 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:30 pm »

Whaaaaaaaaaat.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 3567 3568 [3569] 3570 3571 ... 13325