Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3497 3498 [3499] 3500 3501 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15801118 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [Operate!] Things Fran operated on you for today thread. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #52470 on: May 26, 2011, 08:36:30 pm »

It's not even that.

I got a fancy case and LEDs for a lot cheaper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52471 on: May 26, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »

Alienware is something middle schoolers buy with their parents' money.

That's a more apt description.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52472 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:02 pm »

I remember that everybody in Dexter either has a Mac or an Alienware with Windows.  I thought it was really funny.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52473 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

Sure, alienwares are expensive... but if you aren't the one paying for them, some of the cases are interesting in and of themselves. RIT's game dev lab is 50% these: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/desktops/alienware-vents-2.jpg
Those air vents on the top can open and close... on their own. :D
When they shut down, the vents close on their own, and when they start up, they fully open before adjusting for correct airflow. Utterly impractical, sure, but the sheer steampunk-like awesome of a PC with moving air vents which have the appearance of scales is certainly really really cool.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52474 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »

Can you buy just an Alienware case or do you have to buy the whole computer?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52475 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

See, I got a laptop. You can't build those yourself. And I didn't mind dumping 1.7K on something I knew would keep me set for mobile gaming for a fair while. Anything;s better than this PoS netbook.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52476 on: May 26, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

And I didn't mind dumping 1.7K

I don't care what the specs on that laptop were, you got ripped the fuck off.  There is nothing Alienware is selling that could deliver performance worth that much, compared to any other company.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52477 on: May 26, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »

See, I got a laptop. You can't build those yourself. And I didn't mind dumping 1.7K on something I knew would keep me set for mobile gaming for a fair while. Anything;s better than this PoS netbook.
D:  Don't dis the netbooks my whole computer experience has been on one for the past year and a half now without any problems.  Now I can finally put it to school use when I start college this fall.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52478 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:25 pm »

I'm happy because I've began to hear about the idea of replacing classical textbooks with electronic tablets. Now that would literally take a load off my sholders.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52479 on: May 26, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »

A quick google says you may be able to buy 1 or 2 cases used by alienware, but for the most part, nope, it seems you can't buy them separately.

Yay!!!!! The World War Z film is starting production next month! :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:02:08 pm by alway »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52480 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:08 pm »

And I didn't mind dumping 1.7K

I don't care what the specs on that laptop were, you got ripped the fuck off.  There is nothing Alienware is selling that could deliver performance worth that much, compared to any other company.
Damn, it cost me about $1000 to build mine, and even though it's about 3 years old, I'd say it still performs within the 60%-80% top-of-the-lineness bracket. Okay, it might need some upgrades at some point(probably a replacement everything), but still, I seriously doubt a high-end would cost that much, especially if you built it yourself.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52481 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:41 pm »

I'm happy because I've began to hear about the idea of replacing classical textbooks with electronic tablets. Now that would literally take a load off my sholders.

This makes me sad, but only because I'm that ass who never brings his books to class and still manages to participate effectively (well, except for Latin, blehhh, I sucked way too bad at that one but at least I brought the book). So I mostly never have to deal with the downside of textbooks and still get to benefit from their interface, which I still prefer to any electronic one. That said, if this shift were to decrease the cost of textbooks meaningfully, okay, I can live with that. It would have to be a greater decrease than the resale value of the book, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52482 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »

Oh man, I don't really know why, but I am finding Java to be so sexy right now.
Reading through it and writing it is just like...
Fuck, I dunno, but I love it.

Also, common misconception regarding laptops.
If you get a cheap one with a good case that you can open up, you can customise it to your liking, probably for cheaper than the equivalent upgrade with a new laptop.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52483 on: May 26, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

My school already switched to textbooks that are also available on the Nook and such. As long as you fill out a form at the office, you can get through school with just a laptop and e-reader. I get the worksheets and such emailed to me, and I can print them out and bring in just the few relevant papers rather than the paper spam of usual schoolwork. Plus, note-taking is typing rather than writing.

As for what made me happy, my parents are giving me money to redo my room! By which I mean, I get to design my own room in the new wing of the house. Towers up in this shit.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52484 on: May 26, 2011, 09:19:54 pm »

Well, the problem with this netbook, aside from the whole shitty processor, is that the wire connecting to the built in monitor is snapped. I have to keep it plugged into a LCD to use this thing.

Either way, I'm satisfied with my purchase. Ignorance is bliss. I've spent a fair chunk of money on that thing, and I don't want to spend from now until a couple years from now when it finally becomes outdated thinking about how crappy a purchase it was.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 3497 3498 [3499] 3500 3501 ... 13325