Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15774435 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that made you the strongest today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #44700 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:37 am »

I've been considering a replay of Deus Ex.  It looks like there are some good mods out now (Malkavian mod, I'm looking at you).

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44701 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:27 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:52:59 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44702 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:52 am »

Woooo! I am one tipsy mo-fo. With permission of course.

edit;It's a part y in my brain
Sure you're not piss drunk?
Well, I had half a glass of strawberry margarita with ice. Near the peak it felt like I was piss drunk, though.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44703 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:27 am »

Well, I had half a glass of strawberry margarita with ice. Near the peak it felt like I was piss drunk, though.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how powerful is margarita?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44704 on: March 28, 2011, 10:28:05 am »

4 :P

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44705 on: March 28, 2011, 10:52:16 am »

On a scale of 1 to 10, how powerful is margarita?
1 being beer and 10 being straight up moonshine? I'd guess this margarita was maybe 4-7, but I can't really tell, since the flavor takes out the throat burning/taste.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44706 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:53 pm »

Yeah, semiotics is pretty boring unless you can find ways to apply it. Otherwise it's just a lot of wankery. It doesn't help that it's mostly concerned with lit theory, which is bad enough on it's own.

There are probably some interesting books on the semiotics of math though. And personally, it's completely changed the way I look at grammar. But that's a "bluh bluh no one cares" kind of thing. :P

I personally really like lit theory, and think semiotics is a brilliant idea.  My problem is that I absolutely hate reading about either of those fields, or writing formally.  I finish, and then I go "... but that was obvious.  Why are we even talking about this?"  I'd absolutely love to teach classes and just talk, but the permanent act of writing... yeah, I don't think so.

Okay, well.  I enjoyed reading Nietzsche, Marx, and Freud, because they're not only accessible but revolutionary, and Nietzsche in particular has a certain energy that I enjoy.  Austin was fun.  Barthes... yeah, he wrote an excellent and especially interesting essay.  After Foucault, though, I've got to say things got pretty meh.

Or, maybe it's that I simply don't enjoy the jargon-heavy esoterica rife with references, that seems more reference and response than actual original idea.  Literary theory is neat only so long as it adds something to the work at hand, rather than subtracting from or occluding it, and semiotics seems neat only so long as it is creating, rather than serving as a compendium sodden with dull observations.

Well, we'll just have to see how the rest of the semester goes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44707 on: March 28, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »

Or, maybe it's that I simply don't enjoy the jargon-heavy esoterica rife with references, that seems more reference and response than actual original idea.  Literary theory is neat only so long as it adds something to the work at hand, rather than subtracting from or occluding it, and semiotics seems neat only so long as it is creating, rather than serving as a compendium sodden with dull observations.
Quoted for truth.

Although I only really enjoy Lit theory when it helps me think critically about works I'm reading, otherwise it seems to destroy the magic of writing for me. There are probably some really great books on Lit theory, but I've done my best to avoid them. Even Barthes' S/Z

And from only Zarathustra, Nietzche does indeed have a certain vibrancy. I hate how he gets a bad rap as a nihilist in public opinion because Zarathustra was one of the most hopeful and empowering books I've ever read.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44708 on: March 28, 2011, 01:09:57 pm »

Although I only really enjoy Lit theory when it helps me think critically about works I'm reading, otherwise it seems to destroy the magic of writing for me. There are probably some really great books on Lit theory, but I've done my best to avoid them. Even Barthes' S/Z

Yeah, I personally found How to read like an English Professor pretty neat for its simple observations and enormous rec list--but that was a popularization, haha.

I'll probably read S/Z, though, because the French department highly recommended it as a rich and interesting read, and I absolutely adored Sarrasine when I encountered it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44709 on: March 28, 2011, 01:22:41 pm »

Haha, I had actually just been looking at that book on Amazon a couple days ago. It sounded interesting, but I'm always wary about popularizations because I hate to read a book that's just a recapitulation of what I already know. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll probably read S/Z myself eventually. I've just been avoiding it. Partially because I feel like I have to read Sarrasine first (and in the original French) but mostly because it's notoriously dense.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44710 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:35:12 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44711 on: March 28, 2011, 01:30:45 pm »

jopax, that link isn't really safe for work.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44712 on: March 28, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »

Just spent most of the day in bed yaaaay~.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44713 on: March 28, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »

I just read that the U.S. government sometimes raises interest rates to keep interest rates down. I can understand how that work. But it still is funny as hell.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44714 on: March 28, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »

Because it's loud and mobile, I use my cell phone for an alarm clock.  It has two sets of two alarms, set to go off at 12:05ish and 12:15ish.  I got a phone call at 12:04, and luckily managed to navigate my way through sleep space to realize it wasn't the alarm at the last minute.  Turns out, it was a place calling to set up a job interview, with apparently a really bubbly secretary.  Sweet.

I just read that the U.S. government sometimes raises interest rates to keep interest rates down. I can understand how that work. But it still is funny as hell.

It's more sensible than it sounds, because private banks are more-or-less tied to the Federal Reserve, because lending and borrowing bonds with the Treasury is how they keep their books balanced.  So the Federal Reserve and the Treasury juggle their own interest rates they charge banks around, so that banks will change their own interest rates.  Or at least the used to, until a few years ago it was basically decided that the Reserve would lend money to banks at 0% interest in perpetuity.  But yeah, it's an entertaining system to read about, especially its history.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 13325